Understanding Exponentials and Logarithms: Solving Equations with ln and abs

• Thread starter CaptainDunzo
  • Start date
In summary: So, by rearranging, you can rewrite the left side as:ln(abs(y-1))=-(x+c)This equation is now in standard form.
CaptainDunzo
Homework Statement
I was tasked to answer/show why e^(ln(abs(y-1))=e^(x+c) simplifies to y-1=Ce^x.
Relevant Equations
none
IMG_5565.jpeg

I started with the top equation. I first said since they were both raised to e it would then change to ln(abs(y-1))=x+c. I then thought because of the abs It could be broke into 2 equations. ln(y-1)=x+c and ln(y-1)=-(x+c). I then got confused because I had 2 equations to work with instead of one.

Physics news on Phys.org
CaptainDunzo said:
Homework Statement:: I was tasked to answer/show why e^(ln(abs(y-1))=e^(x+c) simplifies to y-1=Ce^x.
Relevant Equations:: none

View attachment 259134
I started with the top equation. I first said since they were both raised to e it would then change to ln(abs(y-1))=x+c. I then thought because of the abs It could be broke into 2 equations. ln(y-1)=x+c and ln(y-1)=-(x+c). I then got confused because I had 2 equations to work with instead of one.
Two points: first, the constant C in the first equation is not the same as the constant C in the second equation, so it would be better to not use the same symbol, of better write the second C in terms of the first C. You probably realize this but I thought I would mention it.

EDIT!

Oops, I wrote too quickly. You do have to consider the two cases, indeed. What will happen is that you will have two solutions. They are just being very sketchy in the way they write the equation. What they mean is that one can write ##y-1 = K e^x ## for *some* constant K. The constant K will be either ##e^C## or ##-e^C##, depending on the sign of ##y-1##.

Last edited:
Likes SammyS and FactChecker
CaptainDunzo said:
Homework Statement:: I was tasked to answer/show why e^(ln(abs(y-1))=e^(x+c) simplifies to y-1=Ce^x.
Relevant Equations:: none

I started with the top equation. I first said since they were both raised to e it would then change to ln(abs(y-1))=x+c.
A better strategy would be to use the fact that ##e^{\ln y} = y## is an identity for all y > 0. You can use this fact to rearrange the left side. Another identity is ##e^{a + b} = e^a \cdot e^b##.

• Informative
Likes benorin and scottdave

Related to Understanding Exponentials and Logarithms: Solving Equations with ln and abs

1. What are exponentials and logarithms?

Exponentials and logarithms are mathematical functions that are used to represent the relationship between a base number and its power. Exponentials are represented as a^x, where a is the base and x is the exponent. Logarithms are the inverse of exponentials and are represented as loga(x), where a is the base, x is the argument, and the result is the exponent.

2. How do I solve equations with ln (natural logarithm) and abs (absolute value)?

To solve equations with ln and abs, first isolate the ln or abs term on one side of the equation. Then use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation. For example, if the equation is ln(x + 3) = 5, you can rewrite it as x + 3 = e^5. To solve for x, simply subtract 3 from both sides of the equation and take the natural log of both sides.

3. What is the difference between ln and log?

Both ln and log are logarithmic functions, but they have different bases. Ln, or natural logarithm, has a base of e (approximately 2.718), while log has a base of 10. This means that ln is the inverse of e^x, while log is the inverse of 10^x.

4. How are exponentials and logarithms used in real life?

Exponentials and logarithms are used in a variety of fields, including finance, science, and engineering. In finance, they are used to calculate compound interest and growth rates. In science, they are used to model exponential growth and decay. In engineering, they are used to design circuits and analyze data.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations with ln and abs?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the properties of logarithms when simplifying the equation. Another mistake is not isolating the ln or abs term before solving the equation. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions, which may occur when taking the natural log of both sides of an equation.