Understanding Fuel Hose Markings: What Does "NOH-F" Mean?

• Thread starter YoshiMoshi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fuel Hose
YoshiMoshi
TL;DR Summary
What does "NOH-F" marking mean on fuel hose?
Ok the fuel hoses on my car, I see "NOH-F" written on them, along with some numbers. Just googling fuel hose, it seems "NOH-F" is on most fuel hoses. But what does it mean? I tried to search Google for an answer, but nothing.
IMG_20231119_104016657.jpg

I hope somebody ok here can tell me the meaning, if it's some sort of specification or something?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fuel hoses are usually made from NBR (nitrile butadiene rubber), which is oil resistant.

-F; probably means the hose is rated for fuel, electrically conductive, to prevent fire started by static electricity discharge.

"NOH" is not a standard code or abreviation. You will probably need to find the "TAS", "IAS" or "IHS", manufacturer's website to identify the product line or meaning. Nitrile Oil Hose ?

Likes Lnewqban
That hose should have a marking showing SAE 30 followed by some numbers as well.

Likes florida23
Believe the numbers indicate when the hose will start to bend? Not sure on the unit of measurement though....

florida23 said:
Believe the numbers indicate when the hose will start to bend? Not sure on the unit of measurement though....
You mean like the bend radius?

After spending too much time, here is what turned up:

Used for plumbing an oil cooler or a transmission cooler (thus high temperature & pressure)

NOH-F probably an industry rating for hose material & chemical/temperature resistance

3402 eiher a manufacturerers style/class number OR a subset of the NOH-F

Gates Rubber site shows similiar for oil/transmission cooler plumbing
https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-p...ion-oil-cooler-hose.p.3289-000000-000001.html

(found with Google searches for:
noh-f 3402 hose
noh-f "3402" hose)

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Tom

The internal diameter of hoses, and hose fittings, are specified in multiples of 1/16".
A 1" hose will be -16. A 1/2" hose will be -08. A 1/4" hose will be -02.
If that hose is a 1/4" hose, then the -02 probably specifies internal diameter.
The 34 then, is then probably the construction style of the hose, from that manufacturer.

Related to Understanding Fuel Hose Markings: What Does "NOH-F" Mean?

What does "NOH-F" stand for on a fuel hose?

"NOH-F" stands for "Non-Oil Hydraulic Fluid." It indicates that the hose is specifically designed to carry hydraulic fluids that do not contain oil. This marking ensures that the hose material is compatible with non-oil-based hydraulic fluids and won't degrade or fail when used with these substances.

Why is it important to understand fuel hose markings like "NOH-F"?

Understanding fuel hose markings is crucial for ensuring the correct hose is used for specific applications. Using a hose marked "NOH-F" for non-oil hydraulic fluids ensures compatibility and safety, preventing potential hose failures, leaks, and contamination of the hydraulic system.

Can a hose marked "NOH-F" be used for oil-based fluids?

No, a hose marked "NOH-F" should not be used for oil-based fluids. The materials used in "NOH-F" hoses are specifically chosen for compatibility with non-oil hydraulic fluids. Using them with oil-based fluids could lead to degradation of the hose material and potential system failures.

How can I identify a fuel hose suitable for oil-based fluids?

Hoses suitable for oil-based fluids are often marked with specific designations such as "OH" (Oil Hydraulic) or similar markings indicating their compatibility with oil-based substances. Always refer to the manufacturer's specifications and markings to ensure proper usage.

Are there industry standards for fuel hose markings like "NOH-F"?

Yes, there are industry standards that govern fuel hose markings to ensure consistency and safety. Organizations such as the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) provide guidelines and standards for hose markings, including those for hydraulic and fuel hoses.