Understanding Ladder Operators in SU(N) Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter Clandestine M
  • Start date
In summary, ladder operators can be constructed within SU(2) in quantum mechanics, and can also be extended to other groups like SU(N). The Cartan-Weyl basis is a useful tool for understanding ladder operators. There are also various applications for ladder operators, such as in quantum control and optics, and a good reference for understanding them is the book "Coherent States and Applications in Mathematical Physics".
Clandestine M
In quantum mechanics, ladder operators could be constructed within SU(2). The examples should be ladder operators in Quantum Harmonic Oscillator and ladder operators in angular part of Hydrogen Atom (Lx + i Ly, Lx - i Ly).

In Field Theory, QED SU(2) and QCD SU(3), the creation and annihilation operators (an extended version of simple ladder operator) could also be constructed.

And finally in SU(N), the infinite dimensional Quantum Harmonic Oscillator also allows for the construction of ladder operator.

My question is:

is that because SU(2) is the subgroup of all SU(N) group? in this way the ladder operator in SU(2) could be extended to SU(N)?

Is there any good reference helps me understanding ladder operator? And the Factorial Methods solving differential equations? Is there any relation between ladder operator methods solving differential equation and Symmetry Methods solving differential equation (relying on Killing vector Field)?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Clandestine M said:
is that because SU(2) is the subgroup of all SU(N) group? in this way the ladder operator in SU(2) could be extended to SU(N)?

Not quite. It turns out that any semisimple Lie algebra admits a ladder-operator basis for the generators, called the Cartan-Weyl basis. It's obvious that the reduction to an su(2) subalgebra of su(N) can be done in terms of the elements of the C-W basis, preserving the ladder-operator structure. But not all of the properties of a subalgebra have to extend to an entire algebra. For instance, every Lie algebra has a u(1) subalgebra (actually many of them), but that doesn't mean that every Lie algebra is abelian.

Is there any good reference helps me understanding ladder operator? And the Factorial Methods solving differential equations? Is there any relation between ladder operator methods solving differential equation and Symmetry Methods solving differential equation (relying on Killing vector Field)?

For the ladder operators, any decent text on Lie algebras, like the one I linked to above should discuss the Cartan-Weyl basis and the root systems. I'm not so familiar with the general theory of Lie groups and differential equations, the references on this page may or may not be useful.

Thanks for your reply.

Now I begin to understand that Cartan-Weyl Basis is specially for semi-simple Lie Algebra, and Killing vector field is another kind of basis (generators).

I have checked amazon.com and listened to advice from my peers.

In the book, "Factorization Method in Quantum Mechanics" by Shi-Hai Dong Springer (2007) Springer
the applications of ladder operator are well developed.

(I heard that) Ladder operators are called "coherent states" in Quantum Control, Quantum Optics, and some Mathematical Physics literatures.

Newly published book
"Coherent States and Applications in Mathematical Physics" by Monique Combescure, Didier Robert (2012) Springer
I think would be very useful to me.

:)

Clandestine M said:
(I heard that) Ladder operators are called "coherent states" in Quantum Control, Quantum Optics, and some Mathematical Physics literatures.

There are a few different objects called coherent states in the literature. In terms of some ladder operators ##\hat{A},\hat{A}^\dagger##, the canonical coherent state ## | \alpha \rangle## is defined as the eigenstate of the annihilation operator

$$\hat{A} |\alpha\rangle = \alpha | \alpha \rangle.$$

Some additional discussion can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherent_states#Quantum_mechanical_definition.

Thanks a lot!

FAQ: Understanding Ladder Operators in SU(N) Quantum Mechanics

1. What is the concept of ladder operators in SU(N) quantum mechanics?

Ladder operators are mathematical operators used in SU(N) quantum mechanics to describe the energy levels and transitions of quantum systems. They allow us to study the behavior of particles within an SU(N) system and make predictions about their properties.

2. How do ladder operators work?

Ladder operators work by "raising" or "lowering" the energy levels of a quantum system. They do this by applying specific mathematical operations on the wave function of the system, which represents the probability of finding a particle at a certain energy level. The raising operator increases the energy level by one unit, while the lowering operator decreases it by one unit.

3. What is the significance of SU(N) in relation to ladder operators?

SU(N) refers to a special type of symmetry group, known as special unitary group, which is used to describe the behavior of quantum systems with N energy levels. Ladder operators are used to analyze the energy levels and transitions within these systems, making SU(N) a crucial aspect of understanding ladder operators.

4. How do ladder operators help in understanding quantum systems?

Ladder operators help in understanding quantum systems by providing a way to study the energy levels and transitions of particles within the system. By using ladder operators, we can make predictions about the properties and behavior of these particles, which can further our understanding of quantum mechanics.

5. Can ladder operators be applied to other areas of physics?

Yes, ladder operators have applications in various areas of physics, such as quantum optics, condensed matter physics, and particle physics. They are a fundamental tool for studying the properties of quantum systems and can be applied to different types of systems, not just those described by SU(N) symmetry.

Back