Understanding MCNP Tally F5 Output: Tips for Beginners

• Thread starter Sonong
  • Start date
Sonong
I am beginner in MCNP. Could someone please show me how to read the output file when using Tally F5. I saw that the result involves collided and uncollided photon flux, so which part needs to be chosen for calculating? Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to physicsforums!

If you are using an input file written by an expert that you can share you should rename it to add .txt and attach it to the thread. If you wrote it yourself and chose an F5 over another tally I would ask why?

For a real world problem you would calculate using collided and uncollided flux unless you know you want something different. Real world experiments can't tell one from the other, that is only possible in a simulation.

• Informative
Likes Sonong and berkeman

Related to Understanding MCNP Tally F5 Output: Tips for Beginners

What is MCNP Tally F5 used for?

MCNP Tally F5 is used to calculate the flux or current of particles crossing a point or a small region in a Monte Carlo N-Particle (MCNP) simulation. It is particularly useful for obtaining detailed information about particle interactions at specific locations within a model.

How do I interpret the output values of Tally F5?

The output values of Tally F5 typically include the estimated particle flux or current, along with the associated statistical uncertainty (often expressed as a relative error or standard deviation). The main value represents the mean flux or current, while the uncertainty indicates the confidence in the result based on the number of particle histories simulated.

What units are used in Tally F5 output?

The units of the Tally F5 output depend on the type of particles and the specific tally settings. For neutron or photon flux, the units are typically particles per square centimeter per source particle (particles/cm²/source particle). It’s important to consult the MCNP documentation and your input file settings to understand the specific units for your simulation.

How can I reduce the uncertainty in my Tally F5 results?

To reduce the uncertainty in Tally F5 results, you can increase the number of particle histories in your simulation, which effectively increases the statistical sampling and reduces the relative error. Additionally, optimizing the geometry and using variance reduction techniques can help improve the precision of your results.

What are common mistakes to avoid when using Tally F5?

Common mistakes include incorrectly defining the tally point or region, misunderstanding the units of the output, and not running enough particle histories to achieve statistically significant results. It's also important to ensure that the tally is placed in a meaningful location within the model where it can capture relevant particle interactions.