Understanding Series Termination in High Speed Digital Circuits

• Thread starter likephysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, a high speed digital circuit has a resistor between the driver's output and the line to terminate the signal. The sum of the output impedance of the driver, RD, and the resistor value, R, must equal Z0. With this type of termination, only one-half the signal value appears on the line because of the voltage division between the line and the combination of the series resistor and the driver's impedance. I don't understand how the voltage divides between the transmission line and the series resistor. Think of the transmission line and the input impedance of whatever it connects to as one resistor, and the output impedance plus series resistor as a second resistor. Then you have a voltage divider, non? If the two impedances are equal
likephysics
I was reading about series termination in high speed digital circuits -
A series termination comprises a resistor between the driver's output and the line . The sum of the output impedance of the driver, RD, and the resistor value, R, must equal Z0. With this type of termination, only one-half the signal value appears on the line because of the voltage division between the line and the combination of the series resistor and the driver's impedance.

I can't understand how the voltage divides between the transmission line and the series resistor.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Think of the transmission line and the input impedance of whatever it connects to as one resistor, and the output impedance plus series resistor as a second resistor. Then you have a voltage divider, non? If the two impedances are equal you get 1/2 the drive voltage on the transmission line.

schip666! said:
Think of the transmission line and the input impedance of whatever it connects to as one resistor
Ok, transmission line is 50ohms and input impedance is another gate, so high impedance like 10Kohms.
and the output impedance plus series resistor as a second resistor.
This combo is 50ohms.
Then you have a voltage divider, non? If the two impedances are equal you get 1/2 the drive voltage on the transmission line.
50 ohms is in series with transmission line(also 50 ohms), which is connected to high input impedance.
I don't see a voltage divider?

I admit to not being an expert on this, but...

The transmission line impedance itself is a "nominal" value so I wouldn't include it in the calculations. If you indeed have a regular (say TTL) gate at the input then it's impedance is probably higher but 10k is fine, and you would be right conceptually. It may be that it's not a regular gate. Do we have part numbers or is this a theory thing?

Don't have part numbers. Just trying to understand the concept.

likephysics said:
I can't understand how the voltage divides between the transmission line and the series resistor.
I know you are asking about a high speed digital circuits but I think it would be similar to a http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/vdivac.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
likephysics said:
50 ohms is in series with transmission line(also 50 ohms), which is connected to high input impedance.
I don't see a voltage divider?

There is a reason that the full transmitted voltage shows up at the receiver input, and it is related to the high input impedance of the receiver input. Think about what happens with the reflection from the "open circuit" end of the transmission line at the receiver end of the TL...

berkeman said:
There is a reason that the full transmitted voltage shows up at the receiver input, and it is related to the high input impedance of the receiver input. Think about what happens with the reflection from the "open circuit" end of the transmission line at the receiver end of the TL...

I got it. It's just a transmission line that is open. So the reflection coefficient for a open termination transmission line is

ZL-Z0/ZL+Z0

ZL is infinity.

So reflection is 1.
Initially the source sees Zsource and Z0, so the voltage is divided between the two.
The reflection adds to this initial voltage.

likephysics said:
I got it. It's just a transmission line that is open. So the reflection coefficient for a open termination transmission line is

ZL-Z0/ZL+Z0

ZL is infinity.

So reflection is 1.
Initially the source sees Zsource and Z0, so the voltage is divided between the two.
The reflection adds to this initial voltage.

Correct-a-mundo. Good job.

FAQ: Understanding Series Termination in High Speed Digital Circuits

1. What is series termination?

Series termination is a technique used in electrical engineering to prevent signal reflections and improve signal integrity in high-speed digital circuits. It involves placing a resistor at the end of a transmission line to match the impedance of the line and reduce signal reflections.

2. Why is series termination important?

Series termination is important because it helps to prevent signal degradation and maintain the integrity of high-speed digital signals. Without proper termination, signal reflections can cause disturbances and errors in the transmission of data, leading to unreliable performance and potential damage to electronic components.

3. What types of circuits require series termination?

Series termination is commonly used in high-speed digital circuits such as microprocessors, memory buses, and high-speed data interfaces. These circuits typically have fast signal rise and fall times, which can lead to signal reflections if not properly terminated.

4. How is series termination calculated?

The value of the series termination resistor is calculated using the transmission line's characteristic impedance and the output impedance of the driving source. The goal is to match the impedance of the transmission line, typically 50 or 75 ohms, to the output impedance of the source to reduce signal reflections.

5. What are the benefits of series termination?

The main benefit of series termination is improved signal integrity, which results in better performance and reliability of high-speed digital circuits. It also helps to reduce electromagnetic interference and crosstalk between adjacent traces on a circuit board. Additionally, series termination can improve the signal's rise and fall times, allowing for faster data transmission.

Back