Understanding the Impedance Conditions in Transmission Line Problems

In summary, The person is seeking direction on a problem and has provided their progress and ideas, but has not found a solution in their textbook. They then ask for clarification on the conditions of the problem, specifically about the receiving end being open circuited.
commelion
hi

need some direction on this problem please.

see attached file, i decided to type more or less my progress,instead of attaching nonsence !. i had had a few more ideas but no luck. any positive direction would be much appreciated, I've looked back at my textbook (electromagnetics by hayt & buck) but can't find a single other idea form the chapter on transmission lines.

regards

Attachments

• Transmission line problem.doc
    24 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
<< The sending end impedance of a 20 Km length of transmission line is 294 + j170 when open circuited, and 1000 – j1190 with the receiving end open circuited. >>

When the sendinmg impedance is measured, what is the state of the receiving end? Is it not given in the problem? What does it mean " ... when open-circuited"? Can't mean the receiving end.

I don't understand the conditions of this problem.

Related to Understanding the Impedance Conditions in Transmission Line Problems

1. What is a transmission line problem?

A transmission line problem is an issue that can occur in electrical or communication systems where the flow of electricity or data is disrupted or distorted due to various factors such as impedance mismatches, signal reflections, and losses.

2. What are some common causes of transmission line problems?

Some common causes of transmission line problems include poorly designed or damaged transmission lines, environmental factors such as lightning strikes or extreme weather, and interference from nearby power lines or electronic devices.

3. How can transmission line problems be detected?

Transmission line problems can be detected through various methods such as visual inspection, testing the system with specialized equipment, and analyzing data for abnormalities or errors.

4. What are the potential consequences of a transmission line problem?

The consequences of a transmission line problem can range from minor disruptions to complete system failure, depending on the severity of the issue. It can also lead to safety hazards, equipment damage, and financial losses.

5. How can transmission line problems be prevented?

Transmission line problems can be prevented by implementing proper design and installation techniques, regularly maintaining and inspecting the system, and using protective measures such as surge protectors or shielding. It is also important to follow safety protocols and regulations to minimize the risk of transmission line problems.

Back