Understanding the Motivation Behind Quantizing Fields in Quantum Field Theory

• Thread starter nrqed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of the reasoning behind "second quantization" in quantum field theory, and the lack of a satisfying explanation for it. The first approach, which involves introducing operators that change the number of particles, seems more natural than the traditional approach of quantizing a classical field. The discussion also touches on the importance of fields in QFT and the reasons behind their quantization.
Just another thought.

I read somewhere that you were questioning these Lagrangians from which we start in QFT in order to construct a field theory. Keep in mind that this is done by trial and error basically.
Just look at how the Yang Mills Lagnrangian was constructed for QCD by making the SU(3)-colour group LOCAL.

The gauge-fixing terms as welll as the ghost-terms of this Lagrangian were not there from the beginning ofcourse.

For example when starting from a Lagnrangian whithout ghost-term we found non-physical properties of particles after the variation of the corresponding functional (just like the variational principle yields the Euler-Lagrange-equations). these properties were things like negative expectation values or integer spin for Grassmann-variables (anti-commuting variables describing the fermions in QFT). In order to get rid of these "sick" things extra particles were added (ie them Fadeev-Popov ghosts) in order to annihilate the unphysical degrees of freedom. Another solution was to "adapt" the basic equations of motion into the Gupta-Bleuler-equations...

regards
marlon

Physics news on Phys.org
And the Higgs potential is arbitrary though it is expected to work because it restores symmetry to other fields in the standard model.
The use of trial and error in filed theory is what makes it unsatisfactory.

Rothiemurchus said:
And the Higgs potential is arbitrary though it is expected to work because it restores symmetry to other fields in the standard model.
The use of trial and error in filed theory is what makes it unsatisfactory.

What are you saying, my dear friend Rothiemurchus ?

ps thanks for your support :blushing: :blushing:

marlon

... as well as the BRS transformation necessary to have the complete healthy QCD, and the Slavnov-Taylor identity ensuring that evolution does not take physical states to non-physical ones. But that is technical more than fundamental.

MARLON:
What are you saying, my dear friend Rothiemurchus ?

Rothie M:
Just saying that it would be nice to have a field theory that
resembles GR and leaves you thinking
"nature must be like this really."
I don't care what the maths says, as far as I am concerned virtual particles are real
just like EM waves are real.Those path integrals people on here mention:
they are just a mathematical trick - nobody understands why they work.
I've got a lot of respect for Feynman - even buy some of his books - but I won't think his theory is right until someone explains it from a more fundamental level.

total agreement from my part. Anything having "quantum" in it, is desperately phenomenological :cry:

except maybe for LQG. :biggrin:

That is a strong argument Rothiemurchus.
I am not saying you cannot make it, but beware that if you want to criticize a certain very well established theory like QED you got to come up with something better you know.

Maybe the Higgs-field is indeed not yet found, it is nevertheless the best "system" for mass-generation in QFT up till now...

About them virtual particles, they are basically NOT real, really. But they can become real when enough energy is available to give them a "valid reason to exist" for a short while, conform Heisenberg-uncertainty.

They are in QED in fact used as a "trick" to calculate interactions in perturbationtheory. The best way to illustrate their use is (according to me) the following : You can make an infinite sum of powers of x in order to approximate for example cos(x), using Taylor-expansion. Now in this sum you have the index k (from 0 to infinity) to indicates a certain term in the expansion. Well them virtual particles are in QED the sam as the index k in the Taylor-expansion of a given function.

Keep in mind, this is just an analogy to give you a better understanding of their use.

regards
marlon :smile:

marlon said:
I mean you say that because electrons are massive (and always a fixed number of them present, i agree with that) you don't see the classical limit of the field theory. Let me be honest : what do you mean by that.

I don't understand the motivation you are using in order to back this up ? Photons and electrons are totally different particles. Making a distinction between them based upon mass is something new to me. (though i may say QFT is not new to me :blushing: it is my major.)

You're probably right that the fermionic nature also plays a fundamental role in the case of electrons. But the point I was making (and Pat seems to back it up) is that the classical field (a solution of the Dirac equation in the case of electrons, but also the solution of the KG equation in the case of, say, pions) was never observed in the same way as were solutions of the Maxwell equations.

This is the whole point of the discussion here (remember what I said about person A and person B and so on :devil:): where do these fields come from?
We already had the Maxwell equations, so we knew there was something like an EM field. Quantizing this is not difficult. But where did the KG field come from ? Or the Dirac field ? Who ordered that one ? We never had those fields as classical objects before turning it into a quantum field. So why consider them in the first place ?

Now my (granted, intuitive) reasoning was that in order to observe a quantum field as a classical field (from analogy of what happens in the EM case) you need to build up coherent modes of many, many particles (a classical 107MHz wave in EM is made up of a lot of photons in a coherent state), and if you want to do that with a quantum field which has mass (whether this is a true mass term or an effective one such as by the Higgs mechanism doesn't matter), you are on such high energies and such short distances that you won't notice it classically (meaning on human-scale distances).

But, as you point out, the fermionic nature will of course also change that picture. This is an interesting question: is there a way, with massless fermions, to recover a classical field behaviour in the same way you find back the classical EM fields in coherent photon states ?

There are also probably other reasons why we don't see most quantum fields as classical fields (mass is one, fermionic nature is one). This brings up the question: does pure SU(3) gauge theory, but without the quarks, give rise to a classically usuful theory ? I would write "free gluon field" but it's not free of course because the non-abelian self interaction. Is QCD without quarks confined ? Marlon, QCD expert, tell me.

cheers,
Patrick.

Last edited:
marlon said:
I read somewhere that you were questioning these Lagrangians from which we start in QFT in order to construct a field theory.

He was not questioning where a specific lagrangian for a specific field theory came from, he was questioning why you'd be able to write a lagrangian giving rise to field equations in the first place, if I understood Pat correctly. His problem is that in particle physics, well, we talk about particles. So we could build a multiparticle theory directly. Who ordered fields ?

cheers,
Patrick.

nrqed said:
Until, like you, I realized that were just quantizing a classical system "once", but we were quantizing classical fields instead of point particles. Then, like you, I went AAHHHH! And I felt happy at the simplicity and beauty of the idea...for about one minute.

A MINUTE ??!

You're way too wasteful with those moments ! I'm tripping on it for years now :-)

When we started the QFT study group on superstringtheory.com, all those questions came back to me and I started focusing on them and trying to rebuild things myself (that's part of the reasons, together with my classes, buying a house, etc, that rendered me useless as a group leader). But I am no Weinberg so I got stuck on several technical points. I do hope that he does it the way I am thinking because then everything will fall into place and I will be able to answer why we need fields using a language that is 100% satisfactory to my stubborn mind.

And then, to make up for the past, will you do Weinberg ??
:-p

cheers,
Patrick.

vanesch said:
This brings up the question: does pure SU(3) gauge theory, but without the quarks, give rise to a classically usuful theory ? I would write "free gluon field" but it's not free of course because the non-abelian self interaction. Is QCD without quarks confined ? Marlon, QCD expert, tell me.

cheers,
Patrick.

Hallo Patrick,

What you say about QCD sounds like science fiction to me? What do you want to achieve here ?

QCD withou quarks is like EM without charged particles. QCD is there espacially in order to describe the properties of them quarks.

Gluons themselves can be confined once they carry an electrical colour charge. But the Abelian Higgs model also predicts two colour neutral (ie abelian) gluons that propagate like free particles ! So basically gluons themselves can be confined (6 of them) and two of them are not !

regards
marlon

Who ordered fields ?

Good question and the answer is HISTORY

I am convinced you are familiar with the way EM would explain the interaction of an electron with a photon : The EM wave (photons) exerts a Lorentzforce onto the electron. This electron accelerates and the momentum goes from p to p''. Part of the momentum of the EM wave is being absorbed by the electron (Poynting vector). Because the electron is accelerated it will emit an EM wave with wavelength lambda'. So basically the incident photon has a wavelength that goes from lambda to lambda'. The momentum of the electron them changes into p'. So we have p --> p'' --> p'

This EM way of thinking is a local fieldtheory because their is no activity of forces "on a distance". EM-forces are being carried over by fields that fill the entire "space" and they interact with charges positioned at a specific place. This is a big difference with the Newton-way of thinking.

It is in complete accordance with the local fieldequations of Maxwell that electrons are pointcharges. This is a consequence of the fact that Maxwell equations need to be relativistically invariant. The only question remains as to why the entire EM-wave is absorbed as one single quantum. The answer to that question is ofcourse the wave-mechanics of Schrödinger...as we all know...(first quantization)

So we have fields, and particles and it is the second quantization that gives us force carriers (viewed at as particles not as waves) and the fermionic matterfields (like the Diracfield being the general solution to the Dirac-equation)that yield the elementary massless particles of the Standard Model

So, first fields then particles.

A second way to look at things is fields that are needed in the canonical quantization of a system with infinite amount of degrees of freedom. Just look at the Euler-Lagrange equations for fields and the way they are built...
regards
marlon

marlon said:
What you say about QCD sounds like science fiction to me? What do you want to achieve here ?

QCD withou quarks is like EM without charged particles. QCD is there espacially in order to describe the properties of them quarks.

Let me explain. That f*ing b*st*rd of a Pat has injected a slowly working poison in me that slowly takes its toll... I'm more and more questioning the utility of fields :cry:

Indeed, I'm wondering if there is ANY circumstance in which ANY quantum field theory gives rise to a classical field, except for EM !
After your remark I realized that it's going to be damn difficult to have a classical dirac field with "anti-commuting numbers" (he, an old demon rises its ugly head :devil: ) Then I thought about the gluon field, the closest thing I can think of to EM. But there is confinement. So I was wondering if confinement is only due to the presence of quarks or not.

Didn't you ever wonder what it would be to have a semiclassical QCD, with a quantized SU(3) gluon field, but with classical sources (the J_mu A^mu term) ? This is how you look upon the transition from a quantum field to a classical field in EM. But of course if confinement still holds (I think so, but I don't know, hence my question) even the pure gluon field will never be classical.

So what remains of our ansatz of starting with classical fields and quantizing them ? Damn Pat ! :wink:

So the only thing that remains is what I think is in Weinberg: there are no classical fields to be quantized! It's all just bookkeeping of creation and annihilation operators.

So I started reading Weinberg...

cheers,
Patrick.

Confinement is "caused" by the presence of colour-charges (quarks, some gluons). So confinement will always be THE fundamental part of QCD, you cannot get rid of it. unless on an extremely short distance-scale...

regards
marlon

vanesch said:
You're probably right that the fermionic nature also plays a fundamental role in the case of electrons. But the point I was making (and Pat seems to back it up) is that the classical field (a solution of the Dirac equation in the case of electrons, but also the solution of the KG equation in the case of, say, pions) was never observed in the same way as were solutions of the Maxwell equations.

This is the whole point of the discussion here (remember what I said about person A and person B and so on :devil:): where do these fields come from?
We already had the Maxwell equations, so we knew there was something like an EM field. Quantizing this is not difficult. But where did the KG field come from ? Or the Dirac field ? Who ordered that one ? We never had those fields as classical objects before turning it into a quantum field. So why consider them in the first place ?

I could not have said it better. Patrick and I ar on the same wavelength (maybe our brains have become entangled!)

Now my (granted, intuitive) reasoning was that in order to observe a quantum field as a classical field (from analogy of what happens in the EM case) you need to build up coherent modes of many, many particles (a classical 107MHz wave in EM is made up of a lot of photons in a coherent state), and if you want to do that with a quantum field which has mass (whether this is a true mass term or an effective one such as by the Higgs mechanism doesn't matter), you are on such high energies and such short distances that you won't notice it classically (meaning on human-scale distances).

But, as you point out, the fermionic nature will of course also change that picture. This is an interesting question: is there a way, with massless fermions, to recover a classical field behaviour in the same way you find back the classical EM fields in coherent photon states ?

That's an interesting discussion, and I agree that the fermionic aspect brings in another layer of subtlety. I have read somewhere something about impossibility of a classical field limit for fermions because of the exclusion principle.

But to get back to Patrick (and my) point, we can focus on bosons. For example the pion. It's a boson and yet we don't observe the classical field limit of the pion field, we "see" its particle nature first. Exactly the opposite is true for photons. As Patrick said, this is because of the mass.

To Marlon: Patrick and I are discussing the classical limit of quantum fields in the sense of coherent states. Do you see what we mean? We can observe easily this limit for the photon by simply shining light on two slits. But this is not so for massive particles.

Regards

Pat

vanesch said:
Let me explain. That f*ing b*st*rd of a Pat has injected a slowly working poison in me that slowly takes its toll... I'm more and more questioning the utility of fields :cry:

:devil: :devil: :devil:
Lol! Actually, let me tell you the truth: I am the devil incarnated and I am only doing this to make you and other physicists doubt and question their faith in the almighty field concept!

Indeed, I'm wondering if there is ANY circumstance in which ANY quantum field theory gives rise to a classical field, except for EM !
After your remark I realized that it's going to be damn difficult to have a classical dirac field with "anti-commuting numbers" (he, an old demon rises its ugly head :devil: ) Then I thought about the gluon field, the closest thing I can think of to EM. But there is confinement. So I was wondering if confinement is only due to the presence of quarks or not.

Didn't you ever wonder what it would be to have a semiclassical QCD, with a quantized SU(3) gluon field, but with classical sources (the J_mu A^mu term) ? This is how you look upon the transition from a quantum field to a classical field in EM. But of course if confinement still holds (I think so, but I don't know, hence my question) even the pure gluon field will never be classical.

Very interesting and I think this subject would deserve a whole thread by itself. There are several considerations that make other particles qualtitatively different from the photons. There's the fermion/boson distinction. There's mass. There's also confinement as you pointed out (for QCD). But there's also stability of the particle (for example, the W's and Z_0 will decay to other stuff). That's why I used the pions (let's say the neutral pion) as my example in another post. That's the best one I can think of to put aside all these issues and talk about the coherent states/classical field limit of a quantum field. But of course, it's not a fundamental particle, so someone might object on this ground.

So what remains of our ansatz of starting with classical fields and quantizing them ? Damn Pat ! :wink:

:smile: Lol! So you don't think I'm nuts anymore? :biggrin:

So the only thing that remains is what I think is in Weinberg: there are no classical fields to be quantized! It's all just bookkeeping of creation and annihilation operators.

So I started reading Weinberg...

Hehehe... I just got my hands on the first volume. I can't wait to read it.

PAt
cheers,
Patrick.[/QUOTE]

nrqed said:
I could not have said it better. Patrick and I ar on the same wavelength (maybe our brains have become entangled!)
:smile: :smile: :smile:

I think classical QCD is already dealt with in specialized texts, it is just not physical because of confinement and scales at which quantum effect operate. However, instantons for instance (oops) are classical solutions of the pure glue field.

marlon said:
Hallo Patrick,

Gluons themselves can be confined once they carry an electrical colour charge. But the Abelian Higgs model also predicts two colour neutral (ie abelian) gluons that propagate like free particles ! So basically gluons themselves can be confined (6 of them) and two of them are not !

regards
marlon

Patrick is just wondering about "toy models" (like pure glue) in order to understand the classical field limit of QFT (in the sense of coherent states). It might sound like science-fiction but then most of physics research is done this way!

It's a legitimate question to inquire about QCD without matter fields. And in that case there can be glueballs, i.e. pure glue bound states. But is confinement still a property of pure glue is what Patric was asking.

I am not sure what you mean by your last paragraph! What do you mean by the "colour neutral gluons"? (I assume you are talking about the Standard Model, if not please tell us exactly what model you are discussing).

The gauge bosons which do not carry colour charge are not gluons, by definition. And there are 4 of them. SO I am not sure if you are talking about the Standard Model. If not, tell us what are the gauge groups you have in mind and in what representation (fundamental, etc) you are using for all the particles.

Regards

Pat

marlon said:
Who ordered fields ?

Good question and the answer is HISTORY

I am convinced you are familiar with the way EM would explain the interaction of an electron with a photon : The EM wave (photons) exerts a Lorentzforce onto the electron. This electron accelerates and the momentum goes from p to p''. Part of the momentum of the EM wave is being absorbed by the electron (Poynting vector). Because the electron is accelerated it will emit an EM wave with wavelength lambda'. So basically the incident photon has a wavelength that goes from lambda to lambda'. The momentum of the electron them changes into p'. So we have p --> p'' --> p'

This EM way of thinking is a local fieldtheory because their is no activity of forces "on a distance". EM-forces are being carried over by fields that fill the entire "space" and they interact with charges positioned at a specific place. This is a big difference with the Newton-way of thinking.

It is in complete accordance with the local fieldequations of Maxwell that electrons are pointcharges. This is a consequence of the fact that Maxwell equations need to be relativistically invariant. The only question remains as to why the entire EM-wave is absorbed as one single quantum. The answer to that question is ofcourse the wave-mechanics of Schrödinger...as we all know...(first quantization)

Hi Marlon,

Yes, all you wrote is totally right and I am convinced that this is all pretty clear to Patrick.

So we have fields, and particles and it is the second quantization that gives us force carriers (viewed at as particles not as waves) and the fermionic matterfields (like the Diracfield being the general solution to the Dirac-equation)that yield the elementary massless particles of the Standard Model

So, first fields then particles.

Well, this is the step that I have been complaining about since the very start of this thread! This field connection is clear in the case of EM. But it's a *huge* leap of faith to star from a *classical* field theory for the electron! That's the step that I have been questioning in this thread.

A second way to look at things is fields that are needed in the canonical quantization of a system with infinite amount of degrees of freedom. Just look at the Euler-Lagrange equations for fields and the way they are built...
regards
marlon

True (and Patrick knows that too). But it's not clear at all (at least to me) why this is the correct way to build in a theory which must account for a varying number of particles! After all there is also a "field" in NRQM, the wavefunction, so an infinite number of df's is also there but it has a very different meaning. The fact that quantizing these df's will necessarily lead to a multiparticle theory is not at all obvious to me although it seems obvious to you and many others.

It took me years to convey my point of view to Patrick, who is very smart and knowledgeable. So I am not surprised if other smart people don't understand what my concerns are right away.

Cheers

Pat

nrqed said:
To Marlon: Patrick and I are discussing the classical limit of quantum fields in the sense of coherent states. Do you see what we mean? We can observe easily this limit for the photon by simply shining light on two slits. But this is not so for massive particles.

Well, that's maybe not the best example, because simple photon counting can do the trick. You can also do this with an electron beam, yet it is not a coherent beam.
I was more thinking about a radiowave, and two antennae which are at a certain distance from one another, and you look at the two signals and their phase difference with an oscilloscope.

Another point: the reason why I could think that QCD without quarks is maybe not confined (although of course still asymptotically free, because the number of flavors works in the opposite sense), is the intuitive picture: once the flux tube of two separated color charges becomes long enough, there is enough energy to create a quark-anti-quark pair that neutralises the flux tube in between. But if you haven't got such a quark anti quark pair, I was wondering if this still holds. Of course you could do something similar with gluons of opposite color.

cheers,
Patrick.

humanino said:
:smile: :smile: :smile:

I think classical QCD is already dealt with in specialized texts, it is just not physical because of confinement and scales at which quantum effect operate. However, instantons for instance (oops) are classical solutions of the pure glue field.

That's a very interesting point. Yes, classical field theory is used to study important properties of the corresponding quantum fields like instantons. And these are associated to "nonperturbative" results. I have to admit that I never really understood these results. Does that imply that the classical field limit is well-defined? Does that imply that results concerning the classical limit are necessarily nonperturbative in the QFT expansion in Feynman diagrams? Etc.

That's a fascinating issue and I think Patrick will find that an interesting point as well. That would deserve a separate thread!

Pat

in another thread about [thread=38964]mass-gap[/thread] you can readily find some infos on instantons. The tunneling amplitude :
[tex]{\cal A} \sim e^{-S} = e^{-\frac{8\pi^2}{g^2} }= e^{-\frac{2\pi}{\alpha_s} }[/tex] makes it clear that no perturbatively designed calculation can deal with instantons. This is classical.

Oh by the way, you can post in that thread, I would appreciate if it did not disapear so somebody could eventually bring an answer :redface:

nrqed said:
The gauge bosons which do not carry colour charge are not gluons, by definition. And there are 4 of them. SO I am not sure if you are talking about the Standard Model. If not, tell us what are the gauge groups you have in mind and in what representation (fundamental, etc) you are using for all the particles.

Regards

Pat

That is untrue. Where did you get that ?

I am referring to the best model (ofcourse up til now) that would explain the quarkconfinement. The dual abelian Higgs model. It starts from a dual QCD-vacuum and has to incorporate magnetic monopoles. It is very well known together with the glueball-model and widely established among QCD-people.

here is a site explaining the model

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-ph/pdf/0310/0310102.pdf

And i am using the SU(3)colour-symmetry (what else ?) in the abelian gauge with fundamental quark-representations...

regards
marlon

May I ask, are you a student in the field of QFT ?

Last edited by a moderator:
marlon said:
nrqed said:
Originally Posted by nrqed
Ooops. Escaped to me :redface:
Right, this is very bad. And there are 8 gluons, not 4.

------------
EDIT : excellent paper you refer too. Bah, this guy works partly for CEA Saclay right :wink:

Last edited:
vanesch said:
once the flux tube of two separated color charges becomes long enough, there is enough energy to create a quark-anti-quark pair that neutralises the flux tube in between. But if you haven't got such a quark anti quark pair, I was wondering if this still holds. Of course you could do something similar with gluons of opposite color.

cheers,
Patrick.

What ? that is also not true, Patrick. I agree with the way this pair is created but the fuxtube is always there between two quarks ! And most certainly in the long range QCD (low energies).

It is this fluxtube that describes the interaction between the two-quarks (well, i mean the potenttal along the tube).

The fluxtube is the electrical field bound together by the magnetic monopoles that constitute the dual vacuum. These monopoles undergoe circular motions around the electrical field and thus constraining the field-lines to a tube...

But this fluxtube is always there in a quark-anti-quark-pair. The tube is just shortened into two smaller pieces (two pairs). If there were no quarks present the fuxtube would "decay" into gluons, nothing else.

regards

marlon

nrqed said:
Hi Marlon,

Yes, all you wrote is totally right and I am convinced that this is all pretty clear to Patrick.

Well, this is the step that I have been complaining about since the very start of this thread! This field connection is clear in the case of EM. But it's a *huge* leap of faith to star from a *classical* field theory for the electron! That's the step that I have been questioning in this thread.

True (and Patrick knows that too). But it's not clear at all (at least to me) why this is the correct way to build in a theory which must account for a varying number of particles! After all there is also a "field" in NRQM, the wavefunction, so an infinite number of df's is also there but it has a very different meaning. The fact that quantizing these df's will necessarily lead to a multiparticle theory is not at all obvious to me although it seems obvious to you and many others.

It took me years to convey my point of view to Patrick, who is very smart and knowledgeable. So I am not surprised if other smart people don't understand what my concerns are right away.

Cheers

Pat

fields give us the possibility to work with infinite degrees a freedom. Why are you always complaining about the number of particles ?

I mean ain't you familiar with such things as the Hartree-Fock-states and so on ? Just look how they are constructed and you will see the complete analogy with fields in QFT !

Keep in mind that fields are used out of a certain historical evolution that i was trying to point out in the previous post.

Particles arise as excitations of the fields we are using. Now let me ask YOU a question : can you make any assumptions on the number of particles before you perform the (second) quantization ? And once you performed it, why would you even want to make a difficulty out of these questions.

I am thinking that this whole point you are trying to make does not really relate to QFT, but to your view on fields. Maybe it would be a nice thing for you to look at them the other way around. I mean, starting from a positive view. This is a bit analogous as how we should look at the Higgs-field in my opinion. This is the reason why I ask you these two questions.

regards
marlon :smile:

After all there is also a "field" in NRQM, the wavefunction, so an infinite number of df's is also there but it has a very different meaning. The fact that quantizing these df's will necessarily lead to a multiparticle theory is not at all obvious to me although it seems obvious to you and many others.
Almost no computation can be made in this fashion, that is the true problem. QFT allows to make many calculations, partly due to Feynman.
Schwinger said:
Feynman brought QFT to the masses.

humanino said:
Ooops. Escaped to me :redface:
Right, this is very bad. And there are 8 gluons, not 4.

If you read the text again, Pat was talking about the 4 non-colored gauge bosons in the standard model (photon, W+/- and Z0), not the number of gluons.

cheers,
patrick.

Right, sorry again, this time for a real reason !

marlon said:
What ? that is also not true, Patrick. I agree with the way this pair is created but the fuxtube is always there between two quarks !

What is not true ? First of all, this is a very intuitive model. I'm not particularly knowledgeable of the technical details of all these models. But naively, I thought you had:

+ === - the original flux tube

and later

+ ==== -/+ ====- pair creation

and still later:

+===- ....+===-

this is my extremely naive picture of confinement.

You claim that we should have:

+===- ============== +===-

?

Also something else: the paper you cite is probably very interesting and all that, but it is a *phenomenological model* of confinement. This model building has a priori nothing to do with the more fundamental question that was addressed here in this thread. We were discussing the bare bones starting point of why one should start out, when building the standard model, with classical fields we've never ever seen before and - that's what I'm realizing only now - we're never ever going to see !

You can take as an argument "because it works". I can live with that. But I hope you can understand that this can be considered not sufficient as an explanation.

cheers,
patrick.

I agree with Patrick here. This is very intuitive and very convincing. It is even probably the true physical reason for confinement, in my opinion.

And I must say : I don't see where you guys disagree !

humanino said:
And I must say : I don't see where you guys disagree !

Nor do I ! I have to say that unfortunately, I think that marlon has quite some potential to contribute here, and I regret that his replies are often more of a rather aggressive nature than of an explanatory one, which is unfortunate, because it renders them quite useless as an information source, which is the main reason to post here.
So I hope that he will learn that not everybody is supposed to know exactly what he knows (otherwise there's no reason for him to be here !), that we all would like to learn from it, but also that other people might know things that he doesn't know. Il faut que jeunesse se passe !

cheers,
patrick.

rather aggressive nature than of an explanatory one
No no no ! That has always been my problem with my teachers, and certainly is here too, even worse because of the language (au fait, c'est un peu stupide :wink:)

I generally seem to try to prove something, whereas I just display my reasoning. I want to be proven wrong if i am, and this requires precise statements ! When I try to explain something, I feel it is great if somebody corrects me.

I haven't followed much of this thread due to time constraints, but I'd like to reiterate my old point, also found in Weinberg.

The problem with dealing with relativistic quantum mechanics without fields, is precisely the fact that the Smatrix will become ill defined in many body interactions.

Two formalisms remedy the problem, one is Dirac hole theory, the other is QFT. The former has other problems, and was relegated to the historical waste bin.

Again, see chapter 5 of Weinberg..

The idea is the Smatrix will be lorentz invariant if the Hamiltonian is a lorentz scalar, satisfying the usual transformation laws. In order to satisfy cluster decomposition, you need H to be built out of creation and annihilation operators.

Now, under lorentz transformations each of those C and A operators carries momentum matrices, and is perfectly untrivial how to combine them into a lorentz scalar. This is where Weinberg motivates the field concept, and indeed that is suitably general enough to solve the problem. (Incidentally, you could think of even more abstract mathematical objects that would work as well.. but then I think there is a principle of minimality somewhat unspoken here)

There is another little caveat here, and perhaps its simpler to see.. The hamiltonian MUST satisfy a commutation relation.

[H(x), H'(x)] = 0 for (x-x')^2 > 0.. Required for the lorentz invariance of the Smatrix (and indeed this leads to causality in QED). With a little bit of math, you can convince yourself the only way you can construct the interaction density, is by making it out of *linear combinations* of the creation and annihilation operators now as fields (or else that would lead to absurdities)

Last edited: