Understanding Trig In Force Diagrams

In summary, the individual is reviewing their homework for a better understanding and obtained the answer from a friend's method. They are struggling with understanding how the listed solution obtained the cosine and explain that it comes from orienting the y-axis between charges q2 and q3. They also mention the use of symmetry and how the resulting force is multiplied by 2.
PhysicsReaper
Hello,

I have the following problem part (b) which I already solved as you can see in the attached image. So I am not asking homework questions, I merely reviewing my homework for a better understanding for the test. I obtained the answer from a friend showing me his method. However, I am studying and a listed solution was the following:

F_y = 2*(k*(q^2/r^2))cos(30)

I've drawn out a force diagram but have no idea how, they have obtained the cosign. In the listed solution they state use oriented the y-axis such that it bisects charges q2 and q3.

2rxb9ef.png

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two forces acting on point 1. By symetry the result of these two forces will act along a line drawn through point 1 and a point mid way between 2 and 3. See diagram.

So work out the component of the two forces pointing in that direction.

Consider the triangle on the right.

Cos(30) = Fr/F

so

Fr = F Cos(30)

That's not the whole solution obviously, just where the cos(30) comes from. The angle doesn't come from the direction of the result per se, it comes from the direction of the result in relation to the forces. eg If you rotate the triangle/problem drawing 30 degrees so the resulting force is vertical (on the y-axis) the answer will still contain cos(30).

Attachments

• 2rxb9ef.png
    2rxb9ef.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:
Thank you very much! And because of symmetry is why it's multiplied by 2?

Yes in this case.

Hi there,

I am happy to provide some clarification on the use of trigonometry in force diagrams. In the solution provided, the cos(30) term comes from the use of trigonometric functions to find the components of the force in the y-direction.

In a force diagram, the forces are represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the force and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the force. In order to find the component of a force in a specific direction, we can use trigonometry.

In this case, the y-axis is oriented in such a way that it bisects the charges q2 and q3. This means that the angle between the y-axis and the line connecting q2 and q3 is 30 degrees. Using trigonometry, we can find the component of the force in the y-direction by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the cosine of this angle. This is where the cos(30) term comes from in the solution.

I hope this helps to clarify the use of trigonometry in force diagrams. It is a useful tool for finding the components of forces in different directions, and can be applied in many other areas of physics as well. Keep studying and good luck on your test!

FAQ: Understanding Trig In Force Diagrams

1. What is a force diagram?

A force diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows the direction and magnitude of each force, and can help to understand the overall net force on the object.

2. What is the purpose of using trigonometry in force diagrams?

Trigonometry is used in force diagrams to help determine the magnitude and direction of forces that are not acting at right angles to each other. By using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, the components of a force can be calculated and added together to find the overall net force.

3. How do you determine the direction of a force using a trigonometric function?

The direction of a force can be determined by using the inverse trigonometric function of the ratio of the opposite and adjacent sides of a right triangle. For example, if the opposite side is known and the adjacent side is unknown, the inverse tangent function can be used to find the angle and therefore the direction of the force.

4. Can trigonometry be used for non-right angled force diagrams?

Yes, trigonometry can be used for non-right angled force diagrams by breaking down the forces into their components and using trigonometric functions to calculate the resultant force in each direction. It is important to remember that the trigonometric functions will only give accurate results for right angled triangles, so it may be necessary to approximate the diagram to a right angled one for more accurate calculations.

5. How does understanding trigonometry in force diagrams benefit scientists?

Understanding trigonometry in force diagrams allows scientists to accurately calculate the net force on an object, which is essential in determining the motion and behavior of the object. It also helps to visualize and analyze complex systems of forces, making it a valuable tool in many areas of science, such as physics and engineering.

Back