Uniform closure of algebra of bounded functions is uniformly closed

psie
TL;DR Summary
I'm reading theorem 7.29 in Rudin's PMA. I struggle with a seemingly basic conclusion Rudin makes regarding the uniform closure ##\mathcal B## of some algebra ##\mathcal A## of bounded functions, namely that it is uniformly closed.
First some definitions:

Definition A family ##\mathcal A## of complex or real functions defined on a set ##E## is said to be an algebra if it is closed under addition, multiplication and scalar multiplication.

Definition If ##\mathcal A## has the property that ##f\in\mathcal A## whenever ##f_n\in \mathcal A## (##n=1,2,\ldots##) and ##f_n\to f## uniformly on ##E##, then ##\mathcal A## is said to be uniformly closed.

Definition Let ##\mathcal B## be the set of all functions which are limits of uniformly convergent sequences of members of ##\mathcal A##. Then ##\mathcal B## is called the uniform closure of ##\mathcal A##.

Theorem 7.29 Let ##\mathcal{B}## be the uniform closure of an algebra ##\mathcal{A}## of bounded functions. Then ##\mathcal{B}## is a uniformly closed algebra.

After Rudin has shown that ##\mathcal B## is an algebra, he invokes another theorem to claim it is uniformly closed. That theorem states that if ##X## is a metric space and ##E\subset X##, then ##\overline E## is closed. I don't understand Rudin's reasoning here, and I've tried to go back to the basics.

If we denote ##X=\mathbb R^S## the set of all bounded functions from ##S## to ##\mathbb R##, equipped with the uniform metric, I'm trying to show that given ##\mathcal A\subset X##, the uniform closure ##\mathcal B## of ##\mathcal A## is simply ##\overline{\mathcal A}##. That is, I'm trying to prove both inclusions in ##\overline{\mathcal A}=\mathcal B##.

One direction is simple. Observe that if ##f\in\overline{\mathcal A}##, then there exists a sequence ##(f_n)\in\mathcal{A}## converging to ##f##. Since the metric is the uniform metric, the convergence is uniform. Thus by definition ##f\in \mathcal B##.

In the other direction, I'm getting stuck. Let ##f\in \mathcal B##. Then by definition, there is ##(f_n) \in \mathcal A## so that ##(f_n)## converges uniformly to ##f## on ##S##. That is, for all ##\epsilon >0## there is ##N\in \mathbb N## so that $$|f_n(x) - f(x)| <\epsilon,$$for all ##x\in S## and ##n\ge N##. The above inequality implies that $$d_\infty (f_n, f) = \sup_{x\in S} |f_n(x) - f(x)| \le \epsilon,$$ for all ##n\ge N##. So ##f_n \to f## in ##(X, d_\infty)##. Here's where I'd like to conclude somehow that ##f## must be a limit point of ##\mathcal A## and thus in ##\overline{\mathcal A}##, but I'm unable to do this since ##f## certainly could be an isolated point, or?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I think I've had some time to look at my topology book, and apparently a point ##f## is in the closure of ##\mathcal A## (which is a subset of a metric space) if and only if there's a sequence in ##\mathcal A## converging to ##f##.

I used one direction of this statement already. Where I'm stuck I need to use the other direction.

Let ##(X,d_\infty)## be the space of all bounded functions ##f : E \to \mathbb{C}##, equipped with the sup metric ##d_\infty##. Convergence of a sequence of functions with respect to ##d_\infty## is the same as uniform convergence of the sequence. So the condition that ##\mathcal{B}## is the uniform closure of ##\mathcal{A}## means ##\overline{\mathcal{A}} = \mathcal{B}## in ##X##, and the condition that ##\mathcal{B}## is uniformly closed means ##\overline{\mathcal{B}} = \mathcal{B}##. So Theorem 7.29 implies that if ##\mathcal{B} = \overline{\mathcal{A}}##, then ##\overline{\mathcal{B}} = \mathcal{B}##, i.e., ##\mathcal{B}## is closed in ##X##. This indeed follows from the fact that the closure of a subset of a metric space is closed:

Let ##M## be a metric space and ##S\subset M##. Given ##m\in M \setminus S##, there is an open ball ##B\ni x## disjoint from ##S##. Thus ##S## is contained in the closed set ##M\setminus B##, which implies ##\overline{S} \subset M\setminus B##. Therefore ##B\subset M\setminus \overline{S}##, and since ##m## was arbitrary, ##M\setminus \overline{S}## is open. In other words, ##\overline{S}## is closed.

Likes psie