Uniform ladder sliding on smooth surface

In summary, the problem involves a uniform ladder of length L and mass M placed against a smooth vertical wall and horizontal floor. The ladder is initially at rest, making an angle θ0 with the horizontal. The Lagrangian and equations of motion are derived, taking into account the constraints of the problem. The constraint of L^2 = y'^2 + x'^2 is used in the center of mass frame. The use of Lagrange multipliers is suggested to determine the condition for the ladder leaving the vertical wall.
jncarter

Homework Statement

A uniform ladder of length L and mass M has one end on a smooth horizontal floor and teh other end against a smooth vertical wall. The ladder is initially at rest in a vertical plane perpendicular to the wall and makes an angle [itex]\theta[/itex]0 with the horizontal.

(a) Write down the Lagrangian and derive the equations of motion.

(b) Prove the ladder leaves the wall when its upper end (call it y') has fallen to a height of [itex]\frac{2}{3}Lsin\theta[/itex]0.

Homework Equations

L = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mV2+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]I[itex]\omega^2[/itex] - U
U = -mgh, where h is the height from the horizontal.
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial q} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can just look at U on the center of mass, located at L/2. Right now I'm using y'/2, where y' depends on [itex]\theta[/itex], which is a function of time. So h = [itex]\frac{1}{2}Lsin/theta[/itex].
V is the velocity of the center of mass. CM = [itex]\frac{L}{2} (sin\theta + cos\theta) [/itex]
I = [itex]\frac{mL^2}{12}[/itex] and I think [itex]\omega[/itex] is just [itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex]
I haven't gotten to part (b) yet, I figure once I have the first part, the second will be easy.
I'm just looking to see if I'm going in the right direction here and if there is anything I am missing. I just seem to have a hard time with rigid bodies. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to include the constraints.

[itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} = \Sigma \lambda \frac{\partial f}{\partial q} [/itex]

Or are you looking for the actual constraint? See, I've been trying to decide how best to approach that part of the problem. There is the most obvious one [itex]L^2 = y'^2 + x'^2 [/itex], which can be written in the CM frame. Are there any other constraints? Also I haven't quite figured out how to use Lagrange multipliers (as it seems you are suggesting) to determine the condition for the ladder's leaving the vertical wall.

FAQ: Uniform ladder sliding on smooth surface

1. What is the definition of "Uniform ladder sliding on smooth surface"?

A uniform ladder sliding on a smooth surface refers to a situation where a ladder, with a constant mass and length, is placed on a surface that has no friction. The ladder is then moved or rotated, and its motion is observed.

2. What are the factors that affect the sliding of a uniform ladder on a smooth surface?

The sliding of a uniform ladder on a smooth surface is affected by several factors, including the mass of the ladder, the angle at which it is placed, and the force used to move or rotate it. The surface on which the ladder is placed also plays a role in its sliding motion.

3. How is the motion of a uniform ladder on a smooth surface described?

The motion of a uniform ladder on a smooth surface can be described using principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of conservation of energy. The ladder's motion can be analyzed using mathematical equations and diagrams to understand its speed, acceleration, and direction of movement.

4. What are the practical applications of studying a uniform ladder sliding on a smooth surface?

Studying the motion of a uniform ladder on a smooth surface has practical applications in engineering, construction, and sports. It can help in designing stable and safe structures, such as scaffolding and bridges. It can also aid in improving techniques in sports that involve the use of ladders, such as rock climbing.

5. How can friction be introduced in the study of a uniform ladder sliding on a smooth surface?

Friction can be introduced in the study of a uniform ladder sliding on a smooth surface by placing a rough material, such as sandpaper or rubber, on the surface. This will create resistance and affect the ladder's sliding motion. Another way is to change the angle of the ladder, as a steeper angle will increase the force of friction.

Back