Unit tangent vector vs principal normal vector

In summary: The first property is that the vector has magnitude 1, and the second property is that the vector acts on the unit tangent vector at every point.
BvU said:
Ah, again postings cross. We go faster now ! Good. This is still in reply to #33:Yes.

Do you remember ##\vec N \equiv \displaystyle { \vec T'\over \|\vec T'\|} ## ?

And do you remember ## \|\vec T\| = 1## , so that ##\vec T\cdot\vec T = 1 \ ## ?

and
$$
{d\vec T^2\over dt\ }= 2\; \vec T\cdot {d\vec T \over dt}\quad\quad\quad? \quad $$

so that - using ##\displaystyle{d\over dt }\; 1 = 0 \ ## we come to the unavoidable conclusion that

[and now we smoothly go into responding to #34] :
$$
0 = {d\over dt }\; 1 = {d\over dt }\; \vec T^2 = 2 \vec T \cdot {d\over dt }\vec T = 2 \;\vec T\cdot\vec N \; \|\vec T'\| \quad \Rightarrow \vec N \cdot\vec T = 0 $$
(because | T| = 1 ≠ 0 ).

[edit] Oops, sorry, ##\ \|\vec T'\|\ ##, not ##\ \|\vec T\|\ ## without the quote. But if ##\ \|\vec T'\|\ = 0 ## then ##\ \vec N = 0 \ ## too.
it should be 2T (dott) N = 0 , am i right ? why there's an extra || T || ?

Physics news on Phys.org
##\vec N \equiv \displaystyle { \vec T'\over \|\vec T'\|} \Rightarrow \vec T' = \vec N\; \|\vec T' \| \ ##.

Before I forget: you can read all about this in Paul1 , Paul2 , Paul3 (I do find the pdf downloads easier on the eyes). And you see that it's at the end of very thick books; no wonder it takes us a while :smile:

Likes chetzread
BvU said:
##\vec N \equiv \displaystyle { \vec T'\over \|\vec T'\|} \Rightarrow \vec T' = \vec N\; \|\vec T' \| \ ##.

Before I forget: you can read all about this in Paul1 , Paul2 , Paul3 (I do find the pdf downloads easier on the eyes). And you see that it's at the end of very thick books; no wonder it takes us a while :smile:
in post #35 , do you mean ##\ \|\vec T'\|\ = 0 ## , so that
$$
{d\vec T^2\over dt\ } $$ = 0 ?

No, it's the other way around: ##\displaystyle {d\vec T^2\over dt\ } = 0 ## always, because ##\vec T^2 = 1##.

We had $$\vec N \equiv \displaystyle { \vec T'\over \|\vec T'\|} \Rightarrow \vec T' = \vec N\; \|\vec T' \| \ $$ with the complication that, if ##\ \|\vec T'\|\ =0## then ##\ \vec N\ ## does not exist. (actually, it's the same complication as with ##\ \vec T\ ## when ## \ \vec v' = \vec 0\ ##).

From ##\|\vec T\| = 1 \ ## we deduce ##\ \vec T\cdot \vec T' = 0 \ ##. Therefore ##\ \vec T \cdot \vec N \; \|T'\| \;= 0\ ## but that's not the same as showing that ##\ \vec T \cdot \vec N = 0\ ## which we needed to prove that ##\ \vec T \perp \vec N\ ##.

For that last step, from ##\ \vec T \cdot \vec N \; \|T'\| \;= 0\ ## to ##\ \vec T \cdot \vec N = 0\ ##we need ## \ \|T'\| \;\ne 0\ ##, so I looked at that separately.

I'd like to summarize this with the simplest possible example: uniform circular motion in 2D.

So: ##(x,y) = (\cos\omega t , \sin\omega t)## in cartesian coordinates.

What are ##\ \vec v##, ##\ \vec T## and ##\ \vec N## ?​

BvU said:
No, it's the other way around: ##\displaystyle {d\vec T^2\over dt\ } = 0 ## always, because ##\vec T^2 = 1##.

We had $$\vec N \equiv \displaystyle { \vec T'\over \|\vec T'\|} \Rightarrow \vec T' = \vec N\; \|\vec T' \| \ $$ with the complication that, if ##\ \|\vec T'\|\ =0## then ##\ \vec N\ ## does not exist. (actually, it's the same complication as with ##\ \vec T\ ## when ## \ \vec v' = \vec 0\ ##).

From ##\|\vec T\| = 1 \ ## we deduce ##\ \vec T\cdot \vec T' = 0 \ ##. Therefore ##\ \vec T \cdot \vec N \; \|T'\| \;= 0\ ## but that's not the same as showing that ##\ \vec T \cdot \vec N = 0\ ## which we needed to prove that ##\ \vec T \perp \vec N\ ##.

For that last step, from ##\ \vec T \cdot \vec N \; \|T'\| \;= 0\ ## to ##\ \vec T \cdot \vec N = 0\ ##we need ## \ \|T'\| \;\ne 0\ ##, so I looked at that separately.
if we need to show that ##\ \vec T \cdot \vec N = 0\ ## , then , we need ||T'|| = 1 , am i right ?
So that we can ignore the ||T'|| in ##\ \vec T \cdot \vec N \; \|T'\| \;= 0\ ## , to get ##\ \vec T \cdot \vec N \= 0\ ##

No, we only need ##\ \|T'\| \;\ne 0\ ## (fortunately).

BvU said:
No, we only need ##\ \|T'\| \;\ne 0\ ## (fortunately).
so , we are ignoring the value of ##\ \|T'\| \ ## to get T (dot)N only , rather than ##\ \vec T \cdot \vec N \; \|T'\| \;= 0\ ## ?

We are not ignoring it: we divide left and right by it. That can only be done if it's not zero -- hence the caution.

BvU said:
We are not ignoring it: we divide left and right by it. That can only be done if it's not zero -- hence the caution.
can you explain further ? i still couldn't gt it

$$ \vec T \cdot\vec T' = 0 \quad \Rightarrow \quad A \; \vec T \cdot\vec T' = 0 $$ for any ##A##.

Multiply left and right with ## A = 1/\|\vec T'\| ## to get $$\quad\quad \Rightarrow \vec T \cdot\vec N = 0 $$

BvU said:
$$ \vec T \cdot\vec T' = 0 \quad \Rightarrow \quad A \; \vec T \cdot\vec T' = 0 $$ for any ##A##.

Multiply left and right with ## A = 1/\|\vec T'\| ## to get $$\quad\quad \Rightarrow \vec T \cdot\vec N = 0 $$
ok , since anything including ## A = 1/\|\vec T'\| ## multiply by 0 = 0 ?
we multiply RHS of ]$$ \vec T \cdot\vec T' = 0$$ by 0 will get 0 ...

my working is in 317.jpg[/QUOTE]

chetzread said:
Can someone explain how to turn the formula of curvature T'(t) / r'(t) into | r'(t) x r"(t) | / | (r't)^3 | ?my working is in 317.jpg
Well, can someone help to explain which part gone wrong now?

chetzread said:
my working is in 317.jpg
Well, can someone help to explain which part gone wrong now?

We'll come to that. The example from post #40 can even help us there:

BvU said:
I'd like to summarize this with the simplest possible example: uniform circular motion in 2D.

Likes chetzread
BvU said:

i am not sure what does ##\ \vec v## mean ? do you mean ##\ \vec v = r\cos\omega t , r\sin\omega t##

No. Given is: ##\vec r(t) = (x(t),y(t)) = (\cos \omega t, \sin \omega t) ##.

What is ##\vec v(t) \equiv \;\displaystyle {d\vec r(t)\over dt} ## ?

Have you never done such things before ?

BvU said:

here it is .

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 339
Good thing I asked. In your ##\vec v## I can still distinguish an ##\hat\imath## and a ##\hat\jmath##, so they can pass as vectors. An alternative notation would be ##\vec v(t) = (-\omega\sin\omega t, \omega\cos\omega t)\ ##.

I'm not sure what you mean with ##V##, but if it's ##\vec r'(t)\over \|\vec r'(t)\| \ ##, then so far we have used the name ##\vec T##. Why not keep that name ? And: it is a vector, not a number !

BvU said:
Good thing I asked. In your ##\vec v## I can still distinguish an ##\hat\imath## and a ##\hat\jmath##, so they can pass as vectors. An alternative notation would be ##\vec v(t) = (-\omega\sin\omega t, \omega\cos\omega t)\ ##.

I'm not sure what you mean with ##V##, but if it's ##\vec r'(t)\over \|\vec r'(t)\| \ ##, then so far we have used the name ##\vec T##. Why not keep that name ? And: it is a vector, not a number !
V is not r'(t) ?what is V now? I'm confused...

How can you be confused about something you introduced yourself ? line 2 in your post has a ##v## (small v) but you mean a vector. Learn yourself to clearly designate vectors as vectors and scalars as scalars.

Line 3 has a ##V## big V (right ?) what do you mean with that ?

Likes chetzread
BvU said:
How can you be confused about something you introduced yourself ? line 2 in your post has a ##v## (small v) but you mean a vector. Learn yourself to clearly designate vectors as vectors and scalars as scalars.

Line 3 has a ##V## big V (right ?) what do you mean with that ?
they should be the same v , by the way, what is ##v## ? i am still blurred.

BvU said:

v is r'(t ) ?
then v is same as T ?

BvU said:

v is r'(t ) ?
then v is same as T ?

BvU said:

v is r'(t ) ?
then v is same as T ?

BvU said:

v is r'(t ) ?
then v is same as T ?

chetzread said:
by the way, what is ##v##
As I said, learn yourself to clearly designate vectors as vectors and scalars as scalars.

There are a few possibilities for the notation.
The one in your textbook is
  • vectors are bold
  • vector norms are written with double vertical lines (##\ \|\ ##)
and is not very suitable for handwriting. If your class doesn't have it's own standards, I would advise:
  • vectors are written with an arrow above (##\ \vec r\ ##)
  • a single | is enough for a norm (##\ |\vec r| \ ## )
Once you are more experienced you can make it easier by dropping the | : ##\vec r## is the vector, ##r## is the norm. Not now, later.
Stay with your standard. Use it consistently.

You are going too fast without a drivers license. Re-post #57 with a decent notation.

In answer to your #56: what is ##v## :

It is common to designate a position vector as ##\vec r##.
In Cartesian coordinates a 2D ##\ \ \vec r = (x,y) \ ## and a 3D ##\ \ \vec r = (x,y,z)##.
x and y may depend on time and you get e.g. ##\ \ \vec r(t) = (x(t),y(t)) \ ##
The time derivative is the velocity vector, commonly designated as ##\vec v##. So ##\vec v = \displaystyle d\vec r\over dt ##.
In Cartesian coordinates a 2D ##\ \ \vec v = (v_x,v_y) = \left (\displaystyle {dx(t) \over dt}, \displaystyle {dy(t) \over dt} \right) \ ##,
often abbreviated with a quote for ##{d\over dt}##. E.g. a 3D ##\ \ \vec v = (x',y',z')##.
The time derivative of the velocity vector is the acceleration vector, commonly designated as ##\vec a##. So ##\vec a = \displaystyle {d\vec v\over dt} ##.
In Cartesian coordinates a 2D ##\vec a = (a_x,a_y) = (x'', y'') ##
I could retype all 385 pages of Paul's excellent pdf, but I suggest you read through it on your own -- just to get familiar. And make a lot of exercises to build up experience.

Now I start to double-post too.

I spent quite some time typing #61. #63 is identical to post #1 in the thread that was merged into this one. It looks as if you don't want to learn the language of simple vectors and vector calculus, so: yes I can but you wouldn't understand. Is there a good reason for that ?

Likes chetzread
BvU said:
I spent quite some time typing #61. #63 is identical to post #1 in the thread that was merged into this one. It looks as if you don't want to learn the language of simple vectors and vector calculus, so: yes I can but you wouldn't understand. Is there a good reason for that ?

BvU said:

Ok, here is after correction

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 367
So far
we have ##\vec r\qquad##
don't forget the arrow over the ##r## -- or some other way to clearly mark it as a vector
don't forget the brackets
##\qquad \vec r(t) = (cos\omega t,\sin\omega t)\ \ ## which was the given data.​

we have ##\vec r'\qquad ## which is ##\vec v## (so ##\vec v## is NOT your ## {r'\over|r'|} ## !)
don't forget the arrow over the ##r'## -- or some other way to clearly mark it as a vector
don't forget the brackets
##\qquad \vec r'(t) = (- \omega \sin\omega t,\omega\cos\omega t)\ \ = \omega (\sin\omega t,\cos\omega t)\ \ ## .​

We see that ##|\vec r| = 1 ## (right ?) and we see that ##|\vec r'| = |\omega| ## (right ?)

But then you go all wrong by thinking that ##\vec T## is not a vector.
And what you do to find ##\vec N## is a mystery to me. Again, you write it as a number, which it is NOT. ##\vec N## is a vector !

Last edited:
BvU said:
But then you go all wrong by thinking that ⃗T\vec T is not a vector.
And what you do to find ⃗N\vec N is a mystery to me. Again, you write it as a number, which it is NOT. ⃗N\vec N is a vector !
sorry , for T , it should be (-w sin wt i + w coswt j ) / w
, similarly ,
for N , it should be = (-(w^2)((coswt)^2) i - (w^2)((sinwt)^2) j ) / (w^2)
Again , here's the formula have in my book

Attachments

• 316.jpg
    316.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
BvU said:
Do you know how to calculate the norm of a vector product such as ##\ \vec r'\times \vec r'' \ ##?
do you mean express it in form of unit vector ?