Up to date astrophysics and astronomy books for physicists

AndreasC
Gold Member
With all the recent debates about CDM vs MOND etc, I decided I need some more background on astrophysics and phenomenology. I have the physics background, I prefer concise books even if they are harder.

I was considering something like this for phenomenology: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691025657/?tag=pfamazon01-20

And the series by Padmanabhan on Theoretical Astrophysics (particularly volumes 1 and 3) and maybe something like this would be fun: https://www.cambridge.org/gr/univer...hematica-support?format=HB&isbn=9781107010741

Some people are saying the first book is a bit out of date. It's also loooong, I would probably prefer something more like a "quick overview". What is your opinion/recommendation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Frabjous said:
Right, but this is cosmology. I have found a book on cosmology I like (Relativistic Cosmology by Ellis, Martens and MacCallum). I was looking for something more on the astronomy/astrophysics of galaxies and star systems side. But that's a cool suggestion.

Related to Up to date astrophysics and astronomy books for physicists

What are some of the most recent comprehensive textbooks on astrophysics?

Some of the most recent comprehensive textbooks on astrophysics include "Astrophysics for Physicists" by Arnab Rai Choudhuri, "Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Bradley W. Carroll and Dale A. Ostlie, and "Extragalactic Astronomy and Cosmology: An Introduction" by Peter Schneider. These books cover a wide range of topics and are frequently updated to include the latest research and discoveries.

Which books are recommended for understanding the latest developments in cosmology?

For the latest developments in cosmology, "Modern Cosmology" by Scott Dodelson, "Cosmology" by Steven Weinberg, and "Introduction to Cosmology" by Barbara Ryden are highly recommended. These books provide in-depth coverage of recent advancements and theoretical frameworks in cosmology.

Are there any good resources for learning about exoplanets and planetary science?

Yes, some excellent resources for learning about exoplanets and planetary science include "Exoplanets" edited by Sara Seager, "Planetary Sciences" by Imke de Pater and Jack J. Lissauer, and "The Exoplanet Handbook" by Michael Perryman. These books offer detailed information on the discovery, characterization, and study of exoplanets.

What books are suitable for advanced study in stellar astrophysics?

For advanced study in stellar astrophysics, "Stellar Structure and Evolution" by Rudolf Kippenhahn, Alfred Weigert, and Achim Weiss, "An Introduction to the Theory of Stellar Structure and Evolution" by Dina Prialnik, and "Stellar Interiors: Physical Principles, Structure, and Evolution" by Carl J. Hansen, Steven D. Kawaler, and Virginia Trimble are highly regarded. These texts delve into the physical processes and models of stellar formation and evolution.

Which books provide a good foundation in observational astronomy techniques?

For a solid foundation in observational astronomy techniques, consider "Observational Astronomy" by D. Scott Birney, Guillermo Gonzalez, and David Oesper, "Handbook of CCD Astronomy" by Steve B. Howell, and "Astronomical Observations: An Optical Perspective" by Gordon Walker. These books cover the practical aspects of astronomical observations, including instrumentation, data analysis, and observational strategies.