Using Trigonometry for solving a Cubic equation

In summary, the conversation discusses seeking help with a general cubic equation and using a substitution method to simplify it. The article recommended is about cubic functions and the conversation also mentions trying a specific substitution for the equation. The conversation ends with a question about why the substitution works and the response mentions that it was thought up by a great mathematician and is therefore effective.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Everyone,

I need some help for this general cubic equation.

\[ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=0\]. First divide the equation by a
\[x^3+b/ax^2+c/ax+d/a=0\]

Let x=y-b/(3a)

$$y^3+py+q=0$$
where $$p=c/a-(b/a)^2)/3;q=d/a-(b/a*c/a)/3+(b/a)^3/27$$
$$y=cos \theta$$
then i need to use the identity for $$cos(3\theta)= 4cos^3(\theta)-3cos(\theta) $$

and that is where need the help.
What to do next?

Thank you for your patiences
Cbarker1

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I read that article already. I am still confuse with the substitution.

Cbarker1 said:
I read that article already. I am still confuse with the substitution.

Did you try the substitution $y=2\sqrt{-\frac p 3}\cos\theta$?

Why Do the substitution works?

Cbarker1 said:
Why Do the substitution works?

It is exactly the substitution the wiki article describes.
A great mathematician thought it up.
So yes, the substitution works.

Related to Using Trigonometry for solving a Cubic equation

1. How do you use trigonometry to solve a cubic equation?

To use trigonometry for solving a cubic equation, you need to first convert the equation into a trigonometric form, such as using the substitution x = sinθ. Then, using trigonometric identities and equations, you can manipulate the equation to solve for θ. Finally, use the inverse trigonometric functions to find the values of x that satisfy the original cubic equation.

2. Can trigonometry be used to solve any cubic equation?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to solve any cubic equation, as long as the equation can be converted into a trigonometric form. Some equations may require more complex manipulations or multiple trigonometric substitutions, but ultimately, trigonometry can be used to find the solutions.

3. What is the benefit of using trigonometry to solve a cubic equation?

Solving cubic equations using trigonometry can often be more efficient and straightforward compared to other methods, such as using the quadratic formula or factoring. Additionally, using trigonometry allows for the use of complex numbers, which can be helpful in certain equations.

4. Are there any limitations to using trigonometry for solving cubic equations?

One limitation of using trigonometry is that it may not always provide rational solutions. In some cases, the solutions may involve irrational numbers or complex numbers. Additionally, the process of converting an equation into a trigonometric form and manipulating it may be more complex and time-consuming for certain equations.

5. Can trigonometry be used to solve higher degree equations?

While trigonometry can be used to solve cubic equations, it cannot be used to solve higher degree equations such as quartic or quintic equations. For these types of equations, other methods such as the use of radicals or numerical methods are necessary.