Very basic word problem involving use of quad formula

In summary, a farmer has a rectangular paddock with perimeter = 50m and area = 130m2. The farmer needs to find the dimensions of the paddock. By using the formula l2−25l+130=0 and the Quad Formula, the dimensions are found to be length ≈17.6m and width ≈7.4m. The exponent on 130m2 can be removed since the units can be manipulated algebraically. The student got a reasonable score of 77% on the exam and is motivated to continue learning math.
DeusAbscondus
A farmer has a rectangular paddock with Perimeter = 50m and Area =130m2
Perimeter =50m
Area of paddock =130m2
The task is find the dimensions of the paddock.

Here is the formula I created to solve this:
l2−25l+130=0
which, when crunched through the Quad Formula, yeilds:
25±105√2
which in turns yields dimensions of paddock to be length≈17.6m & width≈7.4m
My question: how is it that the exponent on 130m2 can be whisked away like that and still produce a correct answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
DeusAbscondus said:
A farmer has a rectangular paddock with Perimeter = 50m and Area =130m2
Perimeter =50m
Area of paddock =130m2
The task is find the dimensions of the paddock.

Here is the formula I created to solve this:
\[l^2−25l+130=0\]
which, when crunched through the Quad Formula, yeilds:
\[25\pm 105\sqrt{2}\]
which in turns yields dimensions of paddock to be length≈17.6m & width≈7.4m
My question: how is it that the exponent on 130m2 can be whisked away like that and still produce a correct answer?

Hi DeusAbscondus, :)

Let \(x\) be the width of the paddock and \(y\) be it's length. Note that both of these lengths are in meters. Then,

\[x+y=25m\mbox{ and }xy=130m^2\]

By the second equation we get, \(\displaystyle y=\frac{130}{x}\). Now the units of \(\dfrac{130}{x}\) is meters, since \(130\) is in square meters and \(x\) is a length in meters.

\[\therefore x+\frac{130}{x}=25\]

So all the quantities\(\displaystyle \left(x,\,\frac{130}{x}\mbox{ and }25\right)\) are in meters. Does this answer your question?

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:
Hi DeusAbscondus, :)

Let \(x\) be the width of the paddock and \(y\) be it's length. Note that both of these lengths are in meters. Then,

\[x+y=25m\mbox{ and }xy=130m^2\]

By the second equation we get, \(\displaystyle y=\frac{130}{x}\). Now the units of \(\dfrac{130}{x}\) is meters, since \(130\) is in square meters and \(x\) is a length in meters.

\[\therefore x+\frac{130}{x}=25\]

\Would I be right in supplying a step which you seem to have omitted (justifiably considering it too obvious):
namely:
\(\displaystyle y=\frac{130m^2}{xm^1}\)
from which we then get
\(\displaystyle =\frac{130m}{x}\)

Yes. In general, when dealing with units the convention is that you manipulate them algebraically just like everything else, so dividing you subtract powers, multiplying means adding, you can only sum and subtract same units, etc.

Fantini said:
Yes. In general, when dealing with units the convention is that you manipulate them algebraically just like everything else, so dividing you subtract powers, multiplying means adding, you can only sum and subtract same units, etc.

Thanks Fantini.
Would you know of a good supply of pre-calculus level logarithmic worksheets?
(I'm preparing for an exam tomorrow and have run out of exercises with which to practise)

Deus'Abs

Sorry, don't happen to know. I wish you good luck on the test! (Smile)

I got a reasonable result for the test:
Code:
77%
, but what surprised me is that I only had time to answer about 85% of the questions!
I was writing furiously the whole 2 hours and didn't have time to check my answers at the end.

Whereas one other student had 2 toilet breaks and ended up getting 96%

Anyhow, I'm starting from a long way back, not having done maths for 30 years or so, and when i did i was petrified by lack of comprehension of the concepts. I would come from a History or English class with high marks and encouragement from my teachers, and enter the maths classroom with hang-dog expression and eyes cast toward the ground, such was my fear of it.

Now I love it; I just hope it loves me back.
Thanks for the positive wishes and guidance.
Deus' Abs

If you weren't used to the type of the test, don't be so worried. A great score takes in account a lot more than just knowledge, and even that doesn't necessarily weigh so much. Congrats! Keep marching forward! (Clapping)

Fantini said:
If you weren't used to the type of the test, don't be so worried. A great score takes in account a lot more than just knowledge, and even that doesn't necessarily weigh so much. Congrats! Keep marching forward! (Clapping)

Thanks for reminding me to have perspective in this (and indeed in all things)

(Patting myself a little on back because of Fantini's generous encourgement)

Gracie amigo
Deus' Abs

Related to Very basic word problem involving use of quad formula

1. What is the quad formula and how is it used?

The quad formula, also known as the quadratic formula, is a mathematical equation used to solve quadratic equations. It is expressed as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are coefficients in the equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

2. When should I use the quad formula to solve a problem?

The quad formula should be used when a quadratic equation cannot be easily factored or solved using other methods. It is also useful when solving real-life problems such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a quadratic function.

3. How do I know which values to plug into the quad formula?

The values a, b, and c in the quad formula correspond to the coefficients in the quadratic equation. Simply plug in the values given in the equation into the formula to solve for the variable x.

4. Can the quad formula be used to solve equations with imaginary solutions?

Yes, the quad formula can be used to solve equations with imaginary solutions. If the value inside the square root is negative, it indicates that the solutions will be complex numbers. Imaginary solutions are often represented using the letter i, where i = √(-1).

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using the quad formula?

One common mistake when using the quad formula is forgetting to distribute the negative sign in front of the b term when plugging in values. It is also important to correctly identify the values of a, b, and c in the quadratic equation to ensure accurate results. Additionally, make sure to check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation to confirm their validity.