Voltage dependent Current source

In summary, the final answer for Vout at t=0.782s is -8.99V. The question also asked for Vout at t=0 s, which is 0 V. The connecting wire between the two loops does not affect the situation. The answer may be negative due to the system's requirement for students to reverse the sign twice.
xlu2

Homework Statement

12.jpg

Find Vout at t=0.782s (I already found Vout at t=0 s. It is 0 V.)

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found Vs = 9*sin(14*0.782)=-8.989817V (with t in radians)
Since Rpi is in parallel with the Vs, its voltage Vpi also equals to -8.98917 V.
Since the dependent source is I=10^-3*Vpi= -8.989817E-3 A, it is the same current traveling through the 1000 ohms resistor in the right loop.
Using the equation: Vout=IR=8.989817E-3A*1000ohms=8.990V (Current is positive in this case since the current direction is opposite of the passive configuration. That is, it is going from - to + instead of + to -.)

Apparently, my answer is wrong. Would anyone please help me to see where I am doing wrong here? (I wonder how does the wire connect the two loops affect the situation. Is it possible that the R in Vout=IR is not 1000, but 1050 (50 ohms resistor in the left loop since both resistors might be in series?)

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I tend to agree with you. The question did ask for V at t = 0 and at .782 msec. Did you submit both answers? The connecting wire will make no difference.

Yes

barryj said:
I tend to agree with you. The question did ask for V at t = 0 and at .782 msec. Did you submit both answers? The connecting wire will make no difference.

Thanks barryj.

Yes, I submitted 0 for t=0 s and it is correct.

The only problem I have is Vout when t=0.782s.

Problem solved! Thanks everyone.

What was the answer?

Likes 1 person
The answer is...

barryj said:
What was the answer?

It is --8.99 since the system wants to see students reverse the sign twice.

Related to Voltage dependent Current source

1. What is a Voltage Dependent Current Source?

A Voltage Dependent Current Source (VDCS) is an electronic component that produces a current output that is dependent on the voltage across its terminals. This means that the current output will vary according to the voltage input, making it a nonlinear device.

2. How does a VDCS differ from a regular current source?

A regular current source, or a constant current source, produces a fixed current output regardless of the voltage input. However, a VDCS produces a current output that is proportional to the voltage input. This makes it useful for modeling nonlinear circuits.

3. What are some applications of a VDCS?

Voltage Dependent Current Sources are commonly used in electronic circuit simulations, such as SPICE models, to accurately model the behavior of nonlinear devices. They are also used in electronic design automation (EDA) software to simulate and analyze the performance of circuits.

4. How is the current output of a VDCS calculated?

The current output of a VDCS is calculated by multiplying the voltage input by a gain factor, which is typically represented as a multiplier in the circuit diagram. The gain factor determines the proportionality between the voltage and current, and it can be adjusted to model different nonlinear behaviors.

5. Can a VDCS be used as a voltage source?

No, a VDCS cannot be used as a voltage source. It is a current source, meaning that it produces a fixed current output, and the voltage across its terminals will vary depending on the load connected to it. In order to use it as a voltage source, it would need to be combined with a resistor to convert the current output into a voltage output.