Water, more interesting than it looks

In summary, the conversation discusses the fascination and complexity of water, despite its common and essential nature. The speaker mentions the option to study super-critical water through molecular dynamics simulations and expresses interest in whether anyone else is studying water. They also mention the uniqueness and anomalous behaviors of water and its properties that are still not fully understood. Overall, the conversation highlights the interesting and often overlooked subject of water.
Starbug
Hello,

I've been stumbling across interesting articles about water recently, such as:

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/index.html
http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/16/5/7

For something so apparently simple and ordinary and essential for life in a few different ways to be so full of hidden complexity gets me feeling all evangelical almost. Anyway I have the option of doing an undergraduate project next year using molecular dynamics simulations to study super-critical water. I wondered if anyone else was studying water, or thought it was an interesting area to explore.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think water is unbelievably fascinating as a chemical, especially considering how common it is. Its uniqueness is astonishing.

I think you would receive bonus points from your teachers and the other students for shining a light on something fascinating that is right under our noses.

It certainly is an interesting subject -- I remember being fascinated reading a page describing all the different types of (water) ice, and how one might go about creating them.

Water is an extremely special liquid. Many properties of water are of uniqueness, which are often called anomalous behaviors. This is to say that the properties are hardly predicted with simple extrapolation from other liquids being of similar structures. Actually, so far, the structure and dynamics of liquid water, especially in its supercooled state, are far from our understanding. This is really interesting liquid.

Last edited:

FAQ: Water, more interesting than it looks

What is the chemical composition of water?

Water is made up of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, giving it the chemical formula H2O.

How does water contribute to life on Earth?

Water is essential for all living organisms and plays a crucial role in many biological processes such as metabolism, digestion, and transportation of nutrients.

What are some unique properties of water?

Water has several unique properties, including its ability to exist in all three states of matter (solid, liquid, gas), its high surface tension, and its ability to dissolve many substances.

How does water cycle through the environment?

The water cycle, also known as the hydrologic cycle, involves the continuous movement of water between the atmosphere, land, and oceans through processes such as evaporation, precipitation, and runoff.

Why is water conservation important?

Water is a finite resource, and its availability is crucial for sustaining life and supporting ecosystems. Conserving water helps to ensure there is enough clean water for current and future generations.