Wave function of multiple particles

In summary: However, when we measure the system, we will only have a 1/2 chance of collapsing the wave function into one of those two possible configurations.
randomafk
When dealing with n-particle systems that are identical, is the superposition of them just a mathematical construct, or is it similar to how the state of a single particle can be in multiple eigenstates until its measured.

For instance, if I have two fermions: [itex]\Psi = \Psi_a(x_1)\Psi_b(x_2) - \Psi_b(x_1)\Psi_a(x_2)[/itex] then are we describing it in this way only because we don't know which state it's in? Not necessarily because the state is in both configurations prior to measure?

And moreover, what does subtraction mean here? How can you subtract two states?

Physics news on Phys.org
Attached is an excerpt from Townsend's "A Modern Introduction to Quantum Mechanics", which explains how symmetric and anti-symmetric states work, assuming you already know the bra-ket mathematical formalism used in quantum mechanics. If the equations in the PDF look foreign to you, then I can provide you with a simpler explanation, but it would help to know how much quantum mechanics you already know.

Attachments

• Townsend Identical Particles Excerpt.pdf
    218.9 KB · Views: 559
A factor of 1/√2 is missing for normalization,For fermions which obey exclusion principle the exchanged state must be negative of the original one i.e. when 1 and 2 are interchanged as 2 and 1,then the latter must form an anti-symmetric state together with first.

randomafk said:
then are we describing it in this way only because we don't know which state it's in?
The system is in the state you posted.
There are no particles with the labels "1" and "2", but our wave functions use those labels. As a result, you have to build a state where those labels do not matter (exchange of them just changes the sign for fermions).

Hmm, okay.

So then, just like in a single particle system, if I measure the system then I have a 1/2 probability of collapsing the wave function into one of those two possible configurations? I'm not quite sure what you mean that the labels don't matter. I thought the problem lies in the fact that the particles are completely indistinguishable, but in truth there are still are two particles with labels 1 and 2. We just can't track them.

It just seems a little odd that if the particles are distinguishable (with no coupling), none of this applies and we can treat them classically as the total state being the product of the two individual states.

You cannot measure [itex]\Psi_a(x_1)\Psi_b(x_2)[/itex] or [itex]\Psi_b(x_1)\Psi_a(x_2)[/itex].

I thought the problem lies in the fact that the particles are completely indistinguishable
Right.

but in truth there are still are two particles with labels 1 and 2
Define "truth" - but no.

It just seems a little odd that if the particles are distinguishable (with no coupling), none of this applies and we can treat them classically as the total state being the product of the two individual states.
Well, if they are distinguishable we can assign labels 1 and 2 to them.

Related to Wave function of multiple particles

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a physical system, such as a particle or a collection of particles. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular position or state.

2. How is the wave function of multiple particles different from that of a single particle?

The wave function of multiple particles takes into account the quantum state of each particle in the system, rather than just one particle. This means that the wave function becomes a multi-dimensional function, with each dimension representing the quantum state of a different particle.

3. What is the significance of the wave function in quantum mechanics?

The wave function is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior and properties of particles at the microscopic level. It allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state, and is essential for understanding phenomena such as superposition and entanglement.

4. Can the wave function of multiple particles change over time?

Yes, the wave function can change over time according to the laws of quantum mechanics. This is known as wave function evolution and is described by the Schrödinger equation. The time evolution of the wave function allows us to predict the future behavior of a system of multiple particles.

5. How is the wave function of multiple particles used in practical applications?

The wave function of multiple particles is used in a wide range of practical applications, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum simulations. It is also used in fields such as chemistry and materials science to understand the behavior of molecules and materials at the atomic level.