Weeper of the House - John Boehner

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, John Boehner is known for getting emotional, and has been seen crying on multiple occasions. His drinking has been a concern for some, and his recent performance on 60 Minutes has some questioning his emotional stability.
Al68 said:
He killed somebody because of driving drunk, not because he drank. Those are very different things.
Well weren't most of the jokes about his driving drunk, not his drinking?

...and just for clarity: then his drunk driving did bother you?

Physics news on Phys.org
So anyway, does anyone have any actual evidence that Boehner has a drinking problem or is this thread just about talk-show rumor and gossip? One is worthy of discussion on PF, the other isn't.

Why are we talking about Kennedy when it has no bearing on this AT ALL? I realize that all P&WA threads where party politics are raised must degenerate into the usual factions, but here I thought pretty much everyone was on the same page with Boehner... he's a b****... a sorry sack of orange b****. :smile:

Oh, and Russ, while I personally wouldn't wipe my rear with The View, is it really any better than most of what you see coming out of Fox News? I've seen better debates amongst toddlers than what I see on FN, and The View does have Barbara Walters...

russ_watters said:
So anyway, does anyone have any actual evidence that Boehner has a drinking problem or is this thread just about talk-show rumor and gossip? One is worthy of discussion on PF, the other isn't.

Title of thread about crying, not drinking. Proof of crying easy to find, proof of drinking not so much, but actually it's the DRINKING that has nothing to do with this thread. I believe the idea was that a weepy orange fool would make a poor speaker... not sure how we got onto drinking.

nismaratwork said:
Why are we talking about Kennedy when it has no bearing on this AT ALL? I realize that all P&WA threads where party politics are raised must degenerate into the usual factions, but here I thought pretty much everyone was on the same page with Boehner... he's a b****... a sorry sack of orange b****. :smile:

Oh, and Russ, while I personally wouldn't wipe my rear with The View, is it really any better than most of what you see coming out of Fox News? I've seen better debates amongst toddlers than what I see on FN, and The View does have Barbara Walters...

Who brought up Fox News at all? You say the thread is about weeping, not drinking, but then bring up Fox News? :confused: FN is a channel remember, "The View" is a TV show. IMO I'd compare certain specific shows on FN to "The View," not the entire channel.

I do not like Boehner's weeping myself, it's one thing if a guy like Glenn Beck does it, but the upcoming Speaker-of-the-House!?

CAC1001 said:
Who brought up Fox News at all? You say the thread is about weeping, not drinking, but then bring up Fox News? :confused: FN is a channel remember, "The View" is a TV show. IMO I'd compare certain specific shows on FN to "The View," not the entire channel.

I do not like Boehner's weeping myself, it's one thing if a guy like Glenn Beck does it, but the upcoming Speaker-of-the-House!?

I said Fox News in general because listing all of the anchors and personalities involved in would be time consuming, and I didn't want to drag the thread any more off subject. The comparison isn't exact, but it's close enough for government work, right engineers here who take government contracts?... right?... :smile:

nismaratwork said:
I said Fox News in general because listing all of the anchors and personalities involved in would be time consuming, and I didn't want to drag the thread any more off subject. The comparison isn't exact, but it's close enough for government work, right engineers here who take government contracts?... right?... :smile:

Well I'm watching Megyn Kelly right now, wouldn't compare her to the likes of Joy Behar and Whoopi :wink:

CAC1001 said:
Well I'm watching Megyn Kelly right now, wouldn't compare her to the likes of Joy Behar and Whoopi :wink:
Did you see the GQ photo? Taken shortly after she became pregnant, explaining some aspects.
http://www.gq.com/images/women/2010/12/megyn-kelly/megyn-kelly_300x430.jpg
Put her on The View and the set would catch fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt Fox News definitely hires women with good looks, but in general, they tend to be well-educated and smart is what I meant (although I do find the idea of Sarah Palin as a "Fox News contributor" to be a joke).

This thread is about the crying of John Boehner. Why are Sarah Palin and Fox News being discussed? Did Boehner cry to Sarah Palin on Fox News, or is the thread being derailed?

Hell guys, I mentioned Fox News ONCE, and I could easily have said 'MSNBC' if my ideology were a bit different. I was making a point, but I'm not sure what the 'women of the Fox' has to do with the OP, or anything.

nismaratwork said:
Hell guys, I mentioned Fox News ONCE, and I could easily have said 'MSNBC' if my ideology were a bit different. I was making a point, but I'm not sure what the 'women of the Fox' has to do with the OP, or anything.
It doesn't but I'm going to beg everyone's indulgence with just one more post - I promise to stop with that. :redface:

mheslep said:
I consider Greta to be a good journalist (though I can only speak in the past tense - it's been some years now since I had cable TV). I know very little about Megyn Kelly - I imagine she is relatively new. As for Gretchen Carlson, I'm sure having Stanford/Oxford degrees is a welcome bonus to the fact that she is a former Miss America! :biggrin:

Okay, I've had my round of fun - it's back to business now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
It doesn't but I'm going to beg everyone's indulgence with just one more post - I promise to stop with that. :redface:

I consider Greta to be a good journalist (though I can only speak in the past tense - it's been some years now since I had cable TV). I know very little about Megyn Kelly - I imagine she is relatively new. As for Gretchen Carlson, I'm sure having Stanford/Oxford degrees is a welcome bonus to the fact that she is a former Miss America! :biggrin:

Okay, I've had my round of fun - it's back to business now.

Megyn Kelly seems pretty brainy, they actually on O'Reilly had a segment where Gretchen talked about how her being a former Miss America made it where throughout her career people wouldn't take her seriously despite her formal education.

Ah yes... O'Rielly... king of the brain-trust that is Fox News. :-p
Oh, there I go again.

I guess we're all cried out and just want to think happy thoughts about the lovely ladies of Fox News? Perhaps a photo would help - unless anyone wants to get back on track?

russ_watters said:
Well weren't most of the jokes about his driving drunk, not his drinking?
There probably were jokes about the drunk driving, but I don't recall. Perhaps because they weren't funny.
...and just for clarity: then his drunk driving did bother you?
Of course.

russ_watters said:

I want to know why he appears on camera with red eyes and slurred speech. Do you find this acceptable? Do you have an explanation? Does he have a blood sugar problem? Does he have some other health problems? And why is he so frequently unable to maintain his composure? Is he in control of his emotions or not? If not, why not?

It is entirely appropriate to question the health - mental and otherwise - of the second in line for the Presidency.

In response to these concerns, I surmise that he probably has a drinking problem. I stated that as an opinion based on experience. It has nothing to do with The View.

Next, why aren't the Republicans worried about this? The only reason I quoted Walters was her point about Pelosi. Had Pelosi cried at the drop of a hat, she never would have kept her job.

I think Boehner should be pressed for answers. Do you agree? If not, why not? And, given his repeated performances, what assurance do I have that he is in fact mentally stable?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I want to know why he appears on camera with red eyes and slurred speech. Do you find this acceptable? Do you have an explanation? Does he have a blood sugar problem? Does he have some other health problems? And why is he so frequently unable to maintain his composure? Is he in control of his emotions or not? If not, why not?

It is entirely appropriate to question the health - mental and otherwise - of the second in line for the Presidency.

In response to these concerns, I surmise that he probably has a drinking problem. I stated that as an opinion based on experience. It has nothing to do with The View.

Next, why aren't the Republicans worried about this? The only reason I quoted Walters was her point about Pelosi. Had Pelosi cried at the drop of a hat, she never would have kept her job.

I think Boehner should be pressed for answers. Do you agree? If not, why not? And, given his repeated performances, what assurance do I have that he is in fact mentally stable?

If it happens every time he appears on camera, he could be sensitive to the bright lights. As for emotional displays, while unusual, I have family members that can't control tearing when they speak of something they care about - even little things like a good grade on a child's homework. Yet, they have no difficulty functioning under truly emotional situations, such as an accident - total composure.

Now slurred words along with emotional outbursts...:rolleyes:

WhoWee said:
If it happens every time he appears on camera, he could be sensitive to the bright lights. As for emotional displays, while unusual, I have family members that can't control tearing when they speak of something they care about - even little things like a good grade on a child's homework. Yet, they have no difficulty functioning under truly emotional situations, such as an accident - total composure.

Now slurred words along with emotional outbursts...:rolleyes:

Heh, it does make for quite a little constellation of symptoms eh? The funny thing is that there are a number of medical conditions that could cause these symptoms, including medications and a naturally sensitive temperament.

Just going by the number however, if it looks like a scotch, smells like a scotch, and tastes like scotch... he's probably a drunk. We all seem to agree that he was 'the next man in line', but far from the man for the job regardless of our partisan affiliation or lack thereof. That says a lot on its own; whatever the cause Boehner is an unappealing leader to most.

nismaratwork said:
Heh, it does make for quite a little constellation of symptoms eh? The funny thing is that there are a number of medical conditions that could cause these symptoms, including medications and a naturally sensitive temperament.

Just going by the number however, if it looks like a scotch, smells like a scotch, and tastes like scotch... he's probably a drunk. We all seem to agree that he was 'the next man in line', but far from the man for the job regardless of our partisan affiliation or lack thereof. That says a lot on its own; whatever the cause Boehner is an unappealing leader to most.

Not everyone is going to agree with my opinion on this point (you've been warned). IMO - as long as the Speaker's drinking is not a secret (same with Barney Franks sexual orientation) and can't be used against him, then it's not a major concern.

I'm sure we can all agree that Speaker will be the last stop on the Boehner political train? Much like Tip O'Neil, Boehner is not afraid to call people out and roll up his sleeves amongst his associates. Boehner's (apparent) "weakness" in the eyes of some may actually be part of his strength - that is he has street smarts (from working in the family bar) and isn't afraid to negotiate eyeball to eyeball. I see this as a good thing in the House. Then (again Tip comes to mind) at the end of a hard day - they can all go celebrate (just can't include the reporters in this day and age).

WhoWee said:
Not everyone is going to agree with my opinion on this point (you've been warned). IMO - as long as the Speaker's drinking is not a secret (same with Barney Franks sexual orientation) and can't be used against him, then it's not a major concern.

I'm sure we can all agree that Speaker will be the last stop on the Boehner political train? Much like Tip O'Neil, Boehner is not afraid to call people out and roll up his sleeves amongst his associates. Boehner's (apparent) "weakness" in the eyes of some may actually be part of his strength - that is he has street smarts (from working in the family bar) and isn't afraid to negotiate eyeball to eyeball. I see this as a good thing in the House. Then (again Tip comes to mind) at the end of a hard day - they can all go celebrate (just can't include the reporters in this day and age).

If you need to get drunk that often to cope, you shouldn't be a senator, never mind speaker. I'm not saying you should be shot or marginalized, but you shouldn't be one of the 100 most (self)important folks in the country. If you need a vice, screw around or be an adrenaline junkie; it needs to be something that doesn't have the short and long term deleterious effects of alcohol.

nismaratwork said:
If you need to get drunk that often to cope, you shouldn't be a senator, never mind speaker. I'm not saying you should be shot or marginalized, but you shouldn't be one of the 100 most (self)important folks in the country. If you need a vice, screw around or be an adrenaline junkie; it needs to be something that doesn't have the short and long term deleterious effects of alcohol.

short and long term effects can be quite tragic. we also don't need loose cannons in gov't.

nismaratwork said:

We clearly don't know "how often" Boehner drinks, let alone gets "drunk". Last I checked, we're talking about the "People's House" - and alcohol is still legal.

Proton Soup said:
short and long term effects can be quite tragic. we also don't need loose cannons in gov't.

Can you cite any specific incidents where Boehner was some kind of a loose cannon - perhaps behaved like a young Ted Kennedy or even an older Ted Kennedy that partied with his nephew and was drug into a rape trial?

WhoWee said:
Can you cite any specific incidents where Boehner was some kind of a loose cannon - perhaps behaved like a young Ted Kennedy or even an older Ted Kennedy that partied with his nephew and was drug into a rape trial?

i'm referring specifically to the part bolded, that adrenaline junkies were preferable. they are not. i would rather he be a weepy alky.

Proton Soup said:
i'm referring specifically to the part bolded, that adrenaline junkies were preferable. they are not. i would rather he be a weepy alky.

Skiing into trees or flying small craft may not be good for your long-term health, but unlike alcohol you're either there at 100%, or in a hospital/morgue. No brain-shrinkage, no hangovers and mental deficits as a result.

Have I performed my daily post in support of term limits in the House yet (today)?

nismaratwork said:
Skiing into trees or flying small craft may not be good for your long-term health, but unlike alcohol you're either there at 100%, or in a hospital/morgue. No brain-shrinkage, no hangovers and mental deficits as a result.

they're not just flying themselves, but the whole nation. and i don't want them steering us into a tree. manics are some of the most self-destructive people on the planet, if you must know.

Proton Soup said:
they're not just flying themselves, but the whole nation. and i don't want them steering us into a tree. manics are some of the most self-destructive people on the planet, if you must know.

Oh absolutely, but the thing is that the profile of a politician, firefighter, adrenaline junkie... all look very similar. One is more power-hungry, the second is more civic minded, and the third is just... in it for the thrills. I think we already have the maniacs running things, as they're the only ones who'll run for and stick with the job. If I have a choice of maniacs, I'll choose the one who isn't quaffing large amounts of dumb-juice. Only endogenous mind-altering substances in our leaders please... barring social activity and the occasional party.

WhoWee said:
Have I performed my daily post in support of term limits in the House yet (today)?

Man I couldn't agree less! I say let them stay for life, but how long is life when after 4-8 years you become legal big-game?! My plan, and I think you'll like this, is that you run for election ONCE, and stay in office... as long as you can. House members become legal to kill with small arms and less after x years, or they can retire to safety. If you want to be senior in that house, you'd better be really REALLY dedicated and principled.

nismaratwork said:
Man I couldn't agree less! I say let them stay for life, but how long is life when after 4-8 years you become legal big-game?! My plan, and I think you'll like this, is that you run for election ONCE, and stay in office... as long as you can. House members become legal to kill with small arms and less after x years, or they can retire to safety. If you want to be senior in that house, you'd better be really REALLY dedicated and principled.

Interesting concept - perhaps you should start a petition?

WhoWee said:
Interesting concept - perhaps you should start a petition?

I think that would probably have me in jail, but it's a thought I hold dearly. :biggrin: