What am I doing wrong in this derivative

• Thread starter adelin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the derivative of log4(r)*log2(r) is equal to 2(ln(r))/(r(ln(2))(ln(4)), which can be simplified to 2(ln(r))/(r(ln(2))(ln(4))). This can be further simplified by using the quotient rule and converting the logs to a common base.
adelin
my derivative of log4(r)*log2(r)= log2(r)/rln(4)+log4(r)/rln(2)

my book says the derivative should be 2(ln(r))/(r(ln(2))(ln(4))
what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
adelin said:

what am I doing wrong?

Do you know how to convert logs to different bases?

adelin said:

what am I doing wrong?

What does log4(r) mean? Is it ##\log(4r)##, log to base 4 of r, or is it ##\log(r)^4##?

adelin said:

what am I doing wrong?

You can simplify your expression further:
[tex]
\frac{\log_2(r)}{r \ln 4} + \frac{\log_4(r)}{r \ln 2} =
\frac{\ln r}{(r \ln 4) \ln 2} + \frac{\ln r}{(r \ln 2) \ln 4}
= \frac{2 \ln r}{r \ln 2 \ln 4}
[/tex]

Likes 1 person
1/ln(b)*1/r* dy/dx(r)

FAQ: What am I doing wrong in this derivative

1. How do I know if I am using the correct derivative formula?

The correct derivative formula depends on the function you are trying to differentiate. Make sure you are familiar with the various derivative rules and choose the appropriate one for the specific function. Also, double check your work by taking the derivative using a different rule to ensure accuracy.

2. Why is my derivative not matching the answer key?

There are a few potential reasons for this. First, check to see if you made any errors in your calculations. Also, make sure you are using the correct derivative formula and that you are following the correct order of operations. Additionally, some functions may have multiple correct derivatives, so it is possible that your answer and the answer key are both correct.

3. What do I do if I encounter a variable in my derivative that I am not familiar with?

If you come across a variable that you do not recognize, it is likely a placeholder variable used in the derivative formula. Make sure to substitute the variable with the corresponding value in the original function before solving for the derivative. If you are still unsure, seek help from a teacher or classmate.

4. Can I use any derivative formula for any function?

No, each function has a specific derivative formula that must be used in order to accurately find the derivative. Using the wrong formula may result in an incorrect answer. It is important to be familiar with the various derivative rules and know when to apply them.

5. How can I improve my derivative skills?

Practice, practice, practice! The more you work on finding derivatives, the more comfortable and skilled you will become. Utilize practice problems, work with a tutor or study group, and seek help when needed. It also helps to have a strong understanding of algebra and basic mathematical concepts.

Back