What Are Some Tips for Successful Gardening?

In summary, we put in a huge garden and had a green thumb from the get-go. We still have a garden, although it's a little smaller now. We mainly grow vegetables, fruits, and flowers. I've been a pretty avid gardener at times but not for eating, just for looking.
  • #1,401
rewebster said:
from the first thread, it sounded as if the container that you buried was more of a internment than a composing bin----you probably have a lot better mix of nutrients, plus trace ones than 99% of any fert you can buy---great!-----I bet it does turn out to be good compost

Buried? The rubbermaid sits aboveground, such that I can move it to collect the most solar radiation during the course of the year. I live in a forest.

crackshouse.jpg

The tree's surrounding my house are between 80 and 120 feet tall.

The plane in the my tree is Bob Fossett's. Yes, he was way off course.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,402
OmCheeto said:
Buried? The rubbermaid sits aboveground, such that I can move it to collect the most solar radiation during the course of the year. I live in a forest.

crackshouse.jpg

The tree's surrounding my house are between 80 and 120 feet tall.

The plane in the my tree is Bob Fossett's. Yes, he was way off course.

gotcha----I thought you buried the container--you bury the contents of the container.

Nice setting with so many trees---

an ice storm took off quite a few limbs off in the fall of 06 of mine, but not as bad as in other areas---ice storms (and wind storms) seem to be about the worst thing (except maybe tornadoes) on the trees

• #1,403
It hasn't rained (yet) today, so I took the opportunity to do some garden chores. The string beans are done producing, so I ripped them out and added them to the compost, then I went up and down the rows of tomatoes, removing any with soft spots/stem rot, and saving any that had been knocked off by recent storms but were still sound. I got a little over a gallon of sound tomatoes to ripen off and threw over 4 gallons of bad ones in the compost. That's pretty sad. Most years, I'm in a frenzy of salsa-making about now, but I can't get enough ripe tomatoes at one time to justify canning a batch. So far, we're confined to making up small batches of fresh salsa. It tastes pretty good with corn chips or on enchiladas. We chop tomatoes, cucumbers and various hot peppers with yellow onion, add fresh cilantro leaves and lime juice and season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper. That stuff doesn't last too long around here.

• #1,404
Hello to the green thumb gang!

My 2nd generation fuchsia that survived the 11th month of rain this year has just now finally produced two of its cool little flower bulby things. Very late in the year for this but its to be expected after the prolonged, inclement weather. I'll see if I can get a good shot of pretty well the only thing I helped to grow this year... the spearmint and other herbs simply grow themselves!

• #1,405
baywax said:
Hello to the green thumb gang!

My 2nd generation fuchsia that survived the 11th month of rain this year has just now finally produced two of its cool little flower bulby things. Very late in the year for this but its to be expected after the prolonged, inclement weather. I'll see if I can get a good shot of pretty well the only thing I helped to grow this year... the spearmint and other herbs simply grow themselves!
Don't let it get fried in the sun! :cry: Mine was getting huge and flowering like crazy, so healthy. Then one day it was out in the sun without water and all of the tips fried off, now the plant is in shock and looks worse every day.

• #1,406
Evo said:
Don't let it get fried in the sun! :cry: Mine was getting huge and flowering like crazy, so healthy. Then one day it was out in the sun without water and all of the tips fried off, now the plant is in shock and looks worse every day.
Yep! Those are very popular hanging plants for open north-side summer porches - common features of Maine farm-houses built before air conditioning. Nice shady places to sit and snap beans, shell peas, shuck corn, etc. My aunt's shady porch is home to some monsters, and the blooms are fantastic. Filtered sun in the morning and indirect light/shade most of the day seems to be just what the doctor ordered for these plants.

• #1,407
However, one night frost and they're gone. Tough for surviving in the winter. I used to dig a deep hole about 3-4 feet in the forest in December, and dump them all, covering it with the fallen leafs until April. That kept them alive.

• #1,408
Oh, I may have my first tomatilio! I am so excited. See the "lantern like husk" in the middle of the picture!

camerapictures404br0.jpg

• #1,409
As a "break" from the daily torrential rains, it was pretty nice while I took my father shopping for a used car. Then, before I got home thundershowers rolled through, and we got almost an inch of rain in 90 minutes. Tomorrow is supposed to be a dry day, but the humidity will be high and the garden will be a mud-hole. I have never had to endure such a wet summer when I had a vegetable garden. Maybe next year, I'll plant cat-tails and water lilies instead of peppers and tomatoes.

• #1,410
Evo said:
Oh, I may have my first tomatilio! I am so excited. See the "lantern like husk" in the middle of the picture!
That's nice - I'll have to try growing some. Our home-made fresh salsa is nice, but it would be even better with some fresh tomatillos. That little papery husk looks very similar to some hops a neighbor had growing beside his barn back in my beer-making days.

• #1,411
are those the same as 'ground tomato' ?

http://www.slowfoodusa.org/ark/images/Auntmollystomato.jpg

http://www.slowfoodusa.org/ark/aunt_mollys_tomato.html

They're nice if they are--and they produce a lot of volunteer plants the next years

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,412
Supposedly they are in the same plant family, but there are differences, tomatillos are always green.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1592/tomatillo01croppedbd3.jpg

Not only the color is different, but the husks are shaped differently.

• #1,413
turbo-1 said:
As a "break" from the daily torrential rains, it was pretty nice while I took my father shopping for a used car. Then, before I got home thundershowers rolled through, and we got almost an inch of rain in 90 minutes. Tomorrow is supposed to be a dry day, but the humidity will be high and the garden will be a mud-hole. I have never had to endure such a wet summer when I had a vegetable garden. Maybe next year, I'll plant cat-tails and water lilies instead of peppers and tomatoes.
Turbo, I can't believe how much bad weather you are having. Out here it's been an unusually calm summer, it's almost like fall now, and I'd say we are at average rainfall for the year. I'm almost afraid of what fall will bring, we've been too lucky.

• #1,414
Wow, did you see the news? It's snowing in parts of Colorado!

Temperatures here are going to be in the 50's tonight. :bugeye:

• #1,416
That's why I grew these tomatillos, but I might die of old age before they produce enough. On the garden forums people are complaining of getting hundreds of tomatillos off a single plant and can't give them away. :cry:

Oh, the other day I was going through dozens of cookbooks looking for something and found the original recipe for Ninfa's Green sauce that I cut out of the Houston Chronicle when I lived there! Now I can't remember which cookbook I stuck it in.

MIH, someday we are going to go to Ninfa's together and eat green sauce and drink Ninfarita's until they throw us out.

• #1,417
Evo said:
Turbo, I can't believe how much bad weather you are having. Out here it's been an unusually calm summer, it's almost like fall now, and I'd say we are at average rainfall for the year. I'm almost afraid of what fall will bring, we've been too lucky.
We have been in some really depressing weather-patterns. I feel really sorry for the potato farmers who are losing what for many of them is a whole year's income, dairy farmers and beef-cattle growers who have yet to get in a single crop of decent hay, etc. It's brutal.

On the up-side, today my father paid $1200 for a Buick Park Avenue Ultra with power everything and a supercharged 231 ci V6 putting out 240 hp. The car has a new battery, good tires, etc, and apart for some small cracks I noticed in the serpentine belts, it needs little or no maintenance. Heated leather seats, power sunroof, and all kinds of on-board diagnostics - it's a far cry from his old(er) Caprice that just puked a rear differential. The car was owned by a local millionaire and it spent almost all of its winters in Florida, so the body and paint are great.

• #1,418
turbo-1 said:
We have been in some really depressing weather-patterns. I feel really sorry for the potato farmers who are losing what for many of them is a whole year's income, dairy farmers and beef-cattle growers who have yet to get in a single crop of decent hay, etc. It's brutal.

On the up-side, today my father paid $1200 for a Buick Park Avenue Ultra with power everything and a supercharged 231 ci V6 putting out 240 hp. The car has a new battery, good tires, etc, and apart for some small cracks I noticed in the serpentine belts, it needs little or no maintenance. Heated leather seats, power sunroof, and all kinds of on-board diagnostics - it's a far cry from his old(er) Caprice that just puked a rear differential. The car was owned by a local millionaire and it spent almost all of its winters in Florida, so the body and paint are great.
Great news about the car, what a great find!

The weather is freaking me out. If it is this cool here already in the middle of August, what is the winter going to be like? I'm really hoping that maybe we'll have a really long fall and a mild winter.

Hey my luck has just changed - KNOCK ON WOOD! I just won two cups of coffee and a breakfast panini from Wendy's! WOOHOO! The downside is that my winning sweepstakes e-mail said the coupon will be mailed in 8-10 WEEKS! :frown: In 8-10 weeks, you guys all come over and we'll cash that sucker in!

• #1,419
One cup is mine! Don't invite too many other PF'ers!

• #1,420
turbo-1 said:
One cup is mine! Don't invite too many other PF'ers!
Sorry everyone, turbo has claimed the second cup of coffee and gets half the panini. Anyone else that wants to join will have to buy their own.

• #1,421
Evo said:
Sorry everyone, turbo has claimed the second cup of coffee and gets half the panini. Anyone else that wants to join will have to buy their own.
Now I just have to figure out how to get 1/2 way across the country for breakfast without breaking the bank. It's been a few years since I hitch-hiked and bummed around...

• #1,422
turbo-1 said:
Now I just have to figure out how to get 1/2 way across the country for breakfast without breaking the bank. It's been a few years since I hitch-hiked and bummed around...
I could probably overnight them to you. :biggrin:

I swear that Greg has an evil plot to make me crazy with the moving smilies.

• #1,423
Evo said:
MIH, someday we are going to go to Ninfa's together and eat green sauce and drink Ninfarita's until they throw us out.

That sounds heavenly. o:) I am going to try to visit Ninfa's when I am on Christmas vacation if I have enough time.

• #1,424
As predicted, we had no rain the week I was away. (Though plenty in NY! ) My tomatoes look horrible. In containers, I think they needed more than one watering a day, or maybe they didn't get a good soaking. From drowning to drought, the poor plants are having a rough summer. I'm getting tomatoes, but mostly very funny looking ones, and not nearly as many as I hoped to preserve any for winter or even enough ripe at the same time to make a batch of tomato sauce. Oh well, at least I'm enjoying them for fresh eating. I guess I didn't start out hoping for much more when I started this adventure with container gardening. It's not like I chose varieties that are adapted to growing in containers.

• #1,425
Moonbear, I seem to have found a cure for blossom end rot. Ortho Garden Disease Control. When you notice the brown rot on the end of the tomato, give it a good spray with this mixed according to directions (I keep a quart spray bottle mixed). This has stopped every instance of rot instantly and it scabs over and the tomato continues to grow. I've had several ripen now and you just cut off the scabbed end and the rest of the tomato is perfect!

• #1,426
Evo said:
Moonbear, I seem to have found a cure for blossom end rot. Ortho Garden Disease Control. When you notice the brown rot on the end of the tomato, give it a good spray with this mixed according to directions (I keep a quart spray bottle mixed). This has stopped every instance of rot instantly and it scabs over and the tomato continues to grow. I've had several ripen now and you just cut off the scabbed end and the rest of the tomato is perfect!

I already cured the end rot. That is a calcium deficiency. Once I verified what it was by looking at some pictures, all I needed to do was add some lime.

Now I think the plants have a new problem. I didn't think about it before I left, but my cat sitter/plant waterer was stopping by after work each day, so watering the plants in the evening, rather than morning. Tomatoes can be pretty sensitive to getting watered at night when they stay wetter and start rotting with the cooler night air, and since the nights have been pretty cool, that's probably exactly what happened. Though, I've added some additional fertilizer to the pots in case it's just a simple nutrient deficiency. At this point, I'll be happy if I just get the tomatoes on them to ripen before the plants die.

The zucchinis loved whatever she was doing though! I didn't see the zucchinis hiding under the leaves at first, but when I went to check on progress, found three. One was a normal size, one was fairly large, but not much bigger than I've seen other people pick them, and one was HUGE. It's easily 4" in diameter and over a foot long!

• #1,427
Moonbear said:
I didn't think about it before I left, but my cat sitter/plant waterer was stopping by after work each day, so watering the plants in the evening, rather than morning. Tomatoes can be pretty sensitive to getting watered at night when they stay wetter and start rotting with the cooler night air, and since the nights have been pretty cool, that's probably exactly what happened.
Moonie, I am sorry that I didn't pick up on this. Morning watering in dry weather is preferable (foliar and soil dousing) and on hot days, soil dousing should be an evening activity. One of the problems that we have with tomato rot is that our thundershowers and torrential rains tend to occur in late afternoon and early evening when warm, moist air rises and collides with cooler air aloft and from Canada. Then, the plants stay wet all night and most of the next morning.

• #1,428
I know that cross pollination doesn't show up until the following season after you plant the seeds that were cross pollinated, so I will assume that these bell peppers are mimicking the jalapenos they have been planted next to out of envy.

This picture is of a bell pepper that is planted in the same pot with a jalapeno. "ALL" of the bell peppers on this plant look exactly like this.

Jalapeno wannabe.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5362/jalapenowannabeqa8.jpg

And my tomatillos have taken off! After 5 months of blossom drop, I had scratched them off my list for next year and figured I'd never get more than one, if I was lucky. Now I have close to fifty and getting more every day! WOOHOO! MIH, come on over, we're having Ninfa's Green Sauce!

tomatillo082108vz8.jpg

camerapictures424hy2.jpg

• #1,429
Evo said:
And my tomatillos have taken off! After 5 months of blossom drop, I had scratched them off my list for next year and figured I'd never get more than one, if I was lucky. Now I have close to fifty and getting more every day! WOOHOO! MIH, come on over, we're having Ninfa's Green Sauce!

WOW! 50? That's incredible! Your plant must have been visited by the spirit of Mama Ninfa. You can make a ton of Green sauce now!

Let me grab some chips and I am on my way over!

• #1,430
Math Is Hard said:
WOW! 50? That's incredible! Your plant must have been visited by the spirit of Mama Ninfa. You can make a ton of Green sauce now!

Let me grab some chips and I am on my way over!
I know, and it's all since the other day! Unreal. I have seven plants and they are 4 feet tall and six feet wide. Knock on wood that they survive until they are ready to pick.

Now I just need an avocado tree. My first husband lived in Puerto Rico for awhile and said there was an avocado tree next to his house and the avocados were larger than softballs. He said they'd fall on the roof at night and wake him up.

There are no avocado trees in Kansas. We get those overpriced shriveled up things the size of eggs that when you cut them open are all brown inside. :cry: You need to buy a dozen to get what equals two decent ones.

Last edited:
  • #1,431
I just got back from my neighbor's place after picking 1/2 bushel of peaches. There are lots more peaches left on the most heavily-damaged tree - another few bushels at least. It's really sad. Three of his peach trees have cracks and splits from the heavy load of fruit, but they may be mostly salvageable. The best-producing tree will be very tough for him to save and rehabilitate, because the leader (central branch) is broken off. There is a strong trunk and a well-established root system, so any viable suckers/small branches will be able to develop pretty rapidly over the next few years, but there will be no fruit from that tree for a while.

• #1,432
So Turbo, would it seem that the abundance of rainfall more than compensated for the lower temperatures?

• #1,433
turbo-1 said:
I just got back from my neighbor's place after picking 1/2 bushel of peaches. There are lots more peaches left on the most heavily-damaged tree - another few bushels at least. It's really sad. Three of his peach trees have cracks and splits from the heavy load of fruit, but they may be mostly salvageable. The best-producing tree will be very tough for him to save and rehabilitate, because the leader (central branch) is broken off. There is a strong trunk and a well-established root system, so any viable suckers/small branches will be able to develop pretty rapidly over the next few years, but there will be no fruit from that tree for a while.
Was it due to all of the rain?

I never had to worry about too many peaches, what started out as a loaded tree would soon be decimated by birds and insects.

• #1,434
Andre and Evo - it seems that the heavy rains produced bumper crops of peaches and plums, and my grape vines and apple trees are loaded, too. It's too bad that Al's best tree got damaged. Most of the storms come with some pretty strong winds, and once a tree is loaded with that much fruit (weight plus surface area) the wind gets a much better chance to damage the tree. His plum trees are loaded, too (very sweet golden plums), but the branches of those are low and more horizontal, so he has them heavily braced, and they are undamaged.

• #1,435
Can someone tell me what kind of tree this is and what those green balls are?

The squirrels love these things and bury them all over the yard. Every time I go outside you hear a loud THUD and it's a squirrel knocking one out of the tree. Sometimes they manage to actually get one in their teeth and bring it down to eat, the rest of the time they just gather up the ones they've thrown down.

They peel off the thick outer layer and eat whatever is inside.

I'm really curious.

squirreltreeaz0.jpg

Last edited:
Back