What are the exceptions to Madelung's rule?

• Thread starter Tclack
  • Start date
In summary, Madelung's rule states that elements with filled and half-filled shells have additional stability. Copper is s1d10 and not s2d9, and Chromium is s1d5 and not s2d4. There are other excpetions that don't fall into those categories.
Tclack
I hate memorization, but everywhere I look for the exceptions to Madelung's rule, you must memorize the exceptions. I can't see any patterns, I've tried looking at the standard periodic table and the circular table.

Does anyone have any good insight into the exceptions?

If I DO have to memorize, are there any good mnemonics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tclack said:

The most commonly taught exception, and probably the only one worth knowing of, is the 'rule' that filled and half-filled shells have additional stability. This explains for instance why Copper is s1d10 and not s2d9, and why Chromium is s1d5 and not s2d4.

There are other excpetions that don't fall into those categories. Some are because of special-relativistic effects, which become important as elements get heavier and are for instance part of the reason for the lanthanide contraction.

Not that I know of. But why memorize the configurations? I don't know anyone who has them memorized; it's not very useful knowledge in practice. These shifts are often pretty small, and you rarely come across neutral metal atoms isolated in vacuum. So once you have an oxidized metal atom with some surrounding ligands (the far more common situation), that's going to be a lot more important towards defining what it's actual electronic configuration is. (x-tal field splitting, etc)

It's also important to note that the Madelung rule is merely an empirical generalization. So it does not have much deeper meaning than "This is how it is most of the time". So one response to "Why are there exceptions?" is simply: "Why wouldn't there be?".

Tclack said:
I hate memorization, but everywhere I look for the exceptions to Madelung's rule, you must memorize the exceptions. I can't see any patterns, I've tried looking at the standard periodic table and the circular table.

There are no exceptions to Madelung's rule as shown on the following Janet type periodic table. The drawings show the orbitals or, more precisely the spherical harmonics from the Schrödinger solution of the hydrogen atom combined with the Pauli exclusion principle :
67185134.jpg

Related to What are the exceptions to Madelung's rule?

1. What is Madelung's rule?

Madelung's rule is a concept in chemistry that describes the relative energies of electrons in an atom's orbitals. It states that the energy of an electron in an atom's orbital is determined by the sum of its principal quantum number (n) and azimuthal quantum number (l). This rule is used to predict the electron configuration of atoms.

2. What are exceptions to Madelung's rule?

Exceptions to Madelung's rule occur when the electron configuration of an atom does not follow the predicted order based on the sum of n and l values. This can happen when the energy difference between orbitals is small enough to cause electrons to occupy a higher energy orbital to achieve a more stable configuration.

3. What are some common examples of exceptions to Madelung's rule?

Some common examples of exceptions to Madelung's rule include the electron configurations of copper (Cu) and chromium (Cr). Both of these elements have an electron configuration of [Ar] 4s1 3d5 instead of the predicted [Ar] 4s2 3d4. This is because having a half-filled or fully-filled d orbital is more stable than a partially-filled d orbital.

4. Why do exceptions to Madelung's rule occur?

Exceptions to Madelung's rule occur due to the interactions between electrons and the nucleus, as well as the repulsion between electrons in the same orbital. These interactions can lead to a rearrangement of electrons to achieve a more stable configuration, even if it means occupying a higher energy orbital.

5. How do exceptions to Madelung's rule affect the properties of elements?

Exceptions to Madelung's rule can affect the properties of elements by altering the electron configuration and, therefore, the chemical and physical properties of an element. For example, the presence of a partially-filled d orbital in elements like copper and chromium allows them to exhibit unique properties such as high conductivity and magnetism.