What are the forces acting on the crate on a frictionless ramp?

In summary, the magnitude of the force applied to the crate is 544.45 N, and the normal force is in the positive direction of the y-axis.
tjbateh

Homework Statement

In the figure, a crate of mass m = 111 kg is pushed at a constant speed up a frictionless ramp (θ = 30°) by a horizontal force F . The positive direction of an x-axis is up the ramp, and the positive direction of a y-axis is perpendicular to the ramp. (a) What is the magnitude of F ? (b) What is the magnitude of the normal force on the crate?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A, I got 628.67 N which is correct.

I do not have part B, but I do have some other information that I found, which is correct.

Gravitational Force along x-axis is -544.455 N

Fx component of the applied force is 544.45 N

Fy component of the applied force is -314.341 N

Y component of the gravitational force is -943.023 N

Acceleration components are zero.

And the normal force of the crate is in the positive direction of the y-axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram, put in all the forces and find what the normal force is. In this case it is not mg*cosθ, so don't use that. Remember that the acceleration in a direction perpendicular to the incline is zero.

would it just be 0? F=M*A...A=0, so F is equal to zero?

If by F you mean "the net force", in other words the sum of all the forces, then it is zero. That's because the problem is telling you that the velocity is constant. Constant velocity means zero acceleration which means zero net force according to Newton's Second Law.

ok so since the sum of all the forces is zero, could it be -628.67?

or should I find the magnitude of the gravitational force. And set F(g) + F + F(n) = 0?

In what direction is the normal force? The sum of all the components of forces in that direction must be zero. You know all the components of forces in that equation except for the normal force.

Does 1257.36 seem right?
I did (544.45i - 314.34j) + (-544.45i - 943.02j) + F(N) = 0

I get 0i + (-1257.36j) = 0

So F(N) is the Square Root of 1257.36^2, which is just 1257.36

I want to be completely sure of my answer, cause I only have one try left!

That looks about right if your components along the y-direction are correct - I didn't check them - but if you say they are, I believe you.

Related to What are the forces acting on the crate on a frictionless ramp?

1) What is a "force on a frictionless surface"?

A force on a frictionless surface refers to the application of a push or pull on an object that is resting on a surface with no friction. This means that there is no resistance or opposition to the movement of the object, allowing it to move freely and with constant velocity.

2) How is friction affected on a frictionless surface?

On a frictionless surface, there is no friction present, so it is not affected in any way. Friction is a force that opposes motion, but on a frictionless surface, there is no surface contact or roughness to cause this resistance.

3) Can a force be applied on a frictionless surface?

Yes, a force can still be applied on a frictionless surface. The force will cause the object to accelerate, as there is no friction to slow it down. However, the object will continue to move at a constant velocity once the force is removed, as there is no friction to stop its motion.

4) What are some real-life examples of a "force on a frictionless surface"?

A common example of a force on a frictionless surface is a hockey puck sliding on ice. The ice provides a nearly frictionless surface, allowing the puck to slide with little resistance. Another example is a curling stone gliding on the ice during a game.

5) How does a frictionless surface affect the motion of an object?

A frictionless surface allows an object to move with constant velocity once a force is applied. This is because there is no friction to slow down or oppose the motion of the object. It also allows for smooth, continuous motion without any jerks or sudden stops.