What Causes Variation in Ductility of Pure Metals?

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that contribute to the ductility of pure metals. The question specifically asks about the atomic level processes that make some pure metals, such as Aluminium, more ductile than others, like Copper. The participants suggest that dislocation density and the presence of impurities and defects may play a role in ductility. They also mention the need for further research and sources on this subject.
eeeeediot
What makes some pure metals more ductile than other pure metals?

I know ductility is defined as the ability of a material to be drawn into a wire, and one measurement of it is the percentage elongation from a tensile stress test. But does anyone know what is going on at an atomic level when the metal is being plastically deformed that makes some metals more ductile than others?

Right now I think it might be the density of dislocations or other defects, but surely that can't account for such large variations in behaviours?

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I removed the parentheses, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Aluminium is more...
and by pure metals I mean not alloys.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
eeeeediot said:
What makes some pure metals (like Aluminium) more ductile than other pure metals (like Copper)?
This isn't even true! Copper is among the most ductile metals there is (55% strain at yield).

If you erase all the text inside parentheses and leave the question reading "what makes some pure metals more ductile than others?" it would be a lot more sensible.

Dislocation density is definitely important, but I think the question is referring to pure metals in the sense of both lack of impurities as well as lack of defects. What's the primary difference between pure Fe and pure Cu, from a metallurgical point of view?

Anyone got any ideas or know any websites that have detailed information about this subject?

Related to What Causes Variation in Ductility of Pure Metals?

1. What is the difference between a solid, liquid, and gas in terms of their atomic structure?

The main difference between the three states of matter is the arrangement and movement of particles. In a solid, particles are tightly packed and vibrate in fixed positions. In a liquid, particles are still close together but have more freedom to move and slide past each other. In a gas, particles are more spread out and have high amounts of energy, allowing them to move freely and quickly.

2. How does temperature affect the behavior and properties of materials?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. As temperature increases, the particles gain more energy and move faster, causing an increase in volume and expansion of the material. This can also lead to changes in other properties such as conductivity and density.

3. What is the relationship between mass, force, and acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). This means that the more mass an object has, the more force is needed to accelerate it. Conversely, a larger force will result in a greater acceleration.

4. Can materials be both conductors and insulators?

Yes, some materials can have properties of both a conductor and an insulator, depending on the conditions. For example, a material may be a good conductor of electricity at room temperature, but as the temperature decreases, it becomes a better insulator. This is known as a semiconductor.

5. How do different types of forces affect the behavior of materials?

There are four main types of forces that can act on materials: tension, compression, shear, and torsion. Tension forces pull on a material, compression forces push on it, shear forces cause it to twist, and torsion forces cause it to bend. These forces can affect the strength, durability, and overall behavior of materials.