What Determines the Force Exerted by a Hammerhead in a Pile Driver?

• Thread starter Heat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, The book uses the work energy theorem to find the speed and average force of a steel hammerhead in a pile driver. The hammerhead has a mass of 200kg and is lifted 3m above a vertical I beam before being dropped, driving the I beam 7.4cm farther into the ground. The vertical rails that guide the hammerhead exert a constant 60N friction force on it. Part a is solved by using the work energy theorem and part b is solved by finding the acceleration and using f=ma to get the average force.
Heat

Homework Statement

In a pile driver , a steel hammerhead with mass 200kg is lifted 3m above the top of a vertical I beam being driven into the ground. the hammer is then dropes driving the Ibeam7.4cm farther into the ground. The vertical rails that guide the hammerhead exert a constant 60N friction force on the hammerhead. Use the work energy theorem to find a) speed of the hammerhead just as it hits the I beam and b) the average force the hammerhead exerts on the I-Beam Ignore the air effects of the air.

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to understand part a. Part b is where I am lost.

The book shows the following work, and I need help understanding on of the steps.

Wtotal
= (w-f-n)s23

Wtotal = (w-f-n)s23 = k3-k2

*** n is the same as g right? and we solve for n? Since when is n the average force?***

n = w-f - k3-k2/s23

=1960N - 60N - 0J - 5700J / 0.074m

=7900N

the part underlined I understand.
The part in bold is where I can't explain why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the force exerted by the pile on the hammer.
You are slowing the hammer from the speed found in part A to 0 in 7.4cm.
Just work out the accelearation ( v^2=u^2+2as) and use f=ma to get the force, assuming the deceleration is uniform.

I would like to clarify a few things about the solution provided in the book. First, the use of "n" in the work equation is not the same as the gravitational constant "g". In this context, "n" represents the normal force exerted by the I-beam on the hammerhead, which is equal to the weight of the hammerhead (mg) minus the friction force (f).

Secondly, the work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this case, the net work done on the hammerhead is equal to the work done by the weight (mg) minus the work done by friction (f) and the work done by the normal force (n). Therefore, we can write the equation as:

Wtotal = (mg - f - n)s23 = K3 - K2

Where K3 is the final kinetic energy of the hammerhead just as it hits the I-beam and K2 is its initial kinetic energy (which is zero).

To find the average force exerted by the hammerhead on the I-beam, we can rearrange the equation as:

n = mg - f - (K3 - K2)/s23

= (200 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) - 60 N - (0 J - 5700 J)/(0.074 m)

= 1960 N - 60 N - 77027.03 N

= 7900 N

So, the average force exerted by the hammerhead on the I-beam is 7900 N. This is the force that is required to drive the I-beam further into the ground.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the solution provided in the book. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. I am here to help you understand the concepts and principles involved in this problem.

Related to What Determines the Force Exerted by a Hammerhead in a Pile Driver?

1. What is the purpose of the hammerhead on a hammer?

The hammerhead on a hammer is designed to increase the force applied to an object. It acts as a lever, allowing for a greater amount of force to be applied with less effort.

2. How does the shape of the hammerhead affect the force it produces?

The shape of the hammerhead can greatly impact the force it produces. A flat, smooth hammerhead will distribute force more evenly, while a pointed hammerhead will concentrate force in a smaller area.

3. Does the weight of the hammer affect the force it produces?

Yes, the weight of the hammer can affect the force it produces. A heavier hammer will produce more force, but it may also require more effort to swing and control.

4. How does the angle at which the hammer is swung affect the force it produces?

The angle at which the hammer is swung can greatly impact the force it produces. For example, swinging the hammer at a 90 degree angle will produce more force than swinging it at a 45 degree angle.

5. Can the material of the hammerhead affect the force it produces?

Yes, the material of the hammerhead can affect the force it produces. A harder material, such as steel, will produce more force than a softer material, such as wood. However, the material also affects the weight and durability of the hammer.