What does it mean for a function to be defined on an interval?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a first order differential equation, specifically in relation to the function being defined on an interval. The interval is a convex subset of the real numbers, meaning that if certain conditions are met, then the sum of the values in the interval will also be in the interval. This is important in differential equations because gaps in the set of values can cause problems. The function can have discontinuities, but there cannot be gaps in the set of values. An example of a function that is defined on an interval but not continuous is a piecewise function.
AlfredPyo
So I was looking at one of the definitions of first order DE's.
But I don't get what this statement means:

let a function f(x) be defined on an interval I.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you are working with real numbers.
A (real) interval is a convex subset of the real numbers.
So I is some subset of R such that
$$\text{if }x_k,a_k\in \mathbb{R} \text{ and }x_k\in I \text{ with}\sum_{k=1}^n a_k= 1 \text{ then }\sum_{k=1}^n x_k a_k \in I$$
In other words we have a block of values for which the function is defined for all valuesIn differential equations we can have problems if the function is defined on a set with gaps such as in the set of integers or rationals.

Things like
$$x\le 7\\
x>57\\
3<x\le 7 \\
x\in \mathbb{R}\\
x\in \emptyset\\
x=1$$
are what you should have in mind

Last edited:
Ok, so basically to be defined means to not have any discontinuities, right?

^There can be discontinuities, there cannot be gaps.
$$\mathrm{f}(x)=\begin{cases}\phantom{\frac{0}{0}}0 & x<0 \\
\,\,\,\, \frac{1}{2} & x=0\\
\phantom{\frac{0}{0}}1&x>0\end{cases}$$
is defined on an interval, but not continuous

Ok, so a piecewise function. As long as in the interval, all x values in the interval has one y value or vice versa?

That's pretty much the definition of "function", isn't it?

FAQ: What does it mean for a function to be defined on an interval?

What is an interval in mathematics?

An interval is a range of values on a number line, including all the numbers in between the two endpoints. It can be represented by using square brackets [ ] for inclusive intervals or parentheses ( ) for exclusive intervals.

What does it mean for a function to be defined on an interval?

A function is defined on an interval when the input values (domain) of the function are limited to a specific range of values. This means that the function can only be evaluated for numbers within that interval.

Why is it important for a function to be defined on an interval?

Defining a function on an interval allows for a more specific and meaningful representation of the relationship between the input and output values. It also ensures that the function is well-defined and does not produce undefined or ambiguous results.

Can a function be defined on multiple intervals?

Yes, a function can be defined on multiple intervals. This means that the function has different rules or equations for different intervals of the input values. It is also known as a piecewise function.

What are some examples of functions defined on intervals?

Examples of functions defined on intervals include trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent) which are defined on the interval [-1, 1], logarithmic functions which are defined on the interval (0, infinity), and polynomial functions which can be defined on any interval of real numbers.

Back