What exactly is it being bent by gravity?

• Thread starter Tapsnap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the discussion discussing GR and space revolves around whether or not space itself is flexible, or whether objects and space are only seen as flexible because of the way light behaves. Scientists generally believe that space is flexible, while some philosophers believe that space is not flexible, and objects and space are actually rigid.
Tapsnap
Is it space that is bent by gravity. Or is it our perception of what we are seeing, bent by gravity? By that I mean, is light being bent, to give us the appearance of things being where they are? Can somone clarify?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Tapsnap said:
Is it space that is bent by gravity. Or is it our perception of what we are seeing, bent by gravity? By that I mean, is light being bent, to give us the appearance of things being where they are? Can somone clarify?

The usual way of explaining GR to layman implies that space itself has a substance. Theories that actually have this premise are called "ether theories". Mainstream scientists generally do not view GR as an ether theory, however. The geometric manifestation of the gravitational theory might be more mainstream. I would defer to my betters for a more precise statement, however.

Here are some observable consequences of deformations of space-time. (Not just of space!)

(I hope I have these right)

It can make the angles of a triangle not sum to 180 degrees.
It can stretch things.
It can squeeze things.
It can do both of the above in different directions.
It can cause straight lines to intersect in two or more points.

It can make the angles of a triangle not sum to 180 degrees.
It can stretch things.
It can squeeze things.
It can do both of the above in different directions.
It can cause straight lines to intersect in two or more points.

But is it that we observe them to be bent because the light was bent on its way to us or is it that the objects or space is actually bent?

We observe things the way we do because they agree with the GR interpretation. If you don't understand that, ask a question that makes sense. I am losing patience otherwise.

Last edited:
Here's a question - Why don't you get off your high horse and be useful to someone who is looking for some information.

Gravity is the name we give to the behavior of space with respect to matter/energy moving through it. The best explanation we have to understand what gravity is comes from General Relativity. The reason that gravity bends a beam of light is essentially the same reason why something falls to the floor when you drop it. You can find comfirmations of the malleable nature of space through past and current measurements of frame dragging (e.g., Mercury's orbit around the sun or recent experiments using satellites orbiting the Earth).

I think a reality vs. perception discussion would be better held in the philosophy forum. Based on that, plus the growing heated argument, I'm going to close this discussion.

FAQ: What exactly is it being bent by gravity?

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for keeping us grounded on Earth.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by creating a force between two objects with mass. The strength of this force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass and the closer the distance, the stronger the force of gravity.

3. What exactly is being bent by gravity?

Gravity does not actually bend or distort objects. Rather, it creates a force that pulls objects towards each other. This can create the illusion of bending, such as when light is bent by the gravitational pull of a massive object like a black hole.

4. How does gravity affect time?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity can also affect time. This is because gravity warps the fabric of space-time, causing time to pass at a different rate in areas with different levels of gravitational force. This effect has been observed and confirmed through experiments and observations.

5. Can gravity be turned off or reversed?

No, gravity cannot be turned off or reversed. It is a fundamental force of nature that is always present. However, its effects can be counteracted by other forces, such as the force of thrust from a rocket or the force of air resistance on a falling object. But gravity itself cannot be eliminated or reversed.