What Forces Act on a Piano in a Free Body Diagram?

In summary, the forces acting on the piano include the acceleration of the piano, gravitational force acting on the piano (piano's weight), force of the floor on the piano (normal force), and force of Chadwick on the piano. The force of the piano pushing on Chadwick can also be considered as a force acting on the piano.
C.Me.B
Identify the forces acting on the object of interest. From the list below, select the forces that act on the piano.

1. acceleration of the piano
2. gravitational force acting on the piano (piano's weight)
3. speed of the piano
4. gravitational force acting on Chadwick (Chadwick's weight)
5. force of the floor on the piano (normal force)
6. force of the piano on the floor
7. force of Chadwick on the piano
8. force of the piano pushing on Chadwick
1011758A.jpg

I thought it would be 2, 5, 7, 8 But I might be missing something
I guess you would use Fnet= m*a

Physics news on Phys.org
is 8 acting ON the piano? or is the piano acting on Chadwick? if it's not a force acting ON the piano then it isn't part of the answer.

but I think you have them all.

to find the acceleration of the pianoYou are correct in your selection of forces. The forces acting on the piano are the gravitational force (piano's weight), the normal force from the floor, the force of Chadwick on the piano, and the force of the piano pushing on Chadwick. These forces are all important to consider when analyzing the motion and stability of the piano. The acceleration of the piano can be determined by using Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force would be the sum of all the forces acting on the piano.

Related to What Forces Act on a Piano in a Free Body Diagram?

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It is used to analyze the forces and their effects on the object's motion.

2. Why is it important to create a free body diagram for a piano?

Creating a free body diagram for a piano allows us to understand the forces acting on it, such as gravity, tension in the strings, and support from the ground. This helps us analyze the stability and motion of the piano.

3. How do you make a free body diagram for a piano?

To make a free body diagram for a piano, you would start by drawing a simple outline of the piano. Then, you would identify and label all the forces acting on the piano, such as weight, tension, and support. Finally, you would draw arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force.

4. What are the key points to remember when creating a free body diagram for a piano?

When creating a free body diagram for a piano, it is important to remember to include all the forces acting on the piano, label them correctly, and draw the arrows in the correct direction and with the appropriate length to represent the magnitude of the force. Additionally, you should make sure to use a consistent scale and include any necessary measurements or angles.

5. How can a free body diagram help in analyzing the stability of a piano?

A free body diagram can help in analyzing the stability of a piano by showing the forces acting on the piano and their relative strengths. By understanding these forces, we can determine if the piano is in equilibrium or if it is likely to tip over. This information can also help in making adjustments to the piano's position or design to improve its stability.

Back