What is De-Broglie's interpretation and how does it relate to DBB theory?

In summary, de Broglie's interpretation says that the particle remains constantly in phase with its associated physical wave. However, if you strongly interact with the particle the particle is no longer in phase with its associated physical wave.
atyy said:
However this is not ##v##, which is what de Broglie calls a physical wave but is in configuration space. There is also a statistical wave ##\psi## which is also in configuration space.

See section 4 - it too has the quantum potential - just like BM does - that determines the motion of the particle - which is a localised bit of energy in the wave-function in that interpretation. But that seems to be the only difference.

Thanks
Bill

Physics news on Phys.org
bhobba said:
Well since philosophers can never agree on what physical reality is that's hardly surprising.
Me - I say it's what our models tell us - but that's just me.
I have the same understanding and the questions here seem to be more philosophical than physical. Reality or not of the physics concept of "wave".

J-L. Destouches
a student of L. de Broglie remind that in 1928 he abandoned his theories "Pilot wave" and "double solution theory" to rally to the Bohr and Heisenberg concept.Patrick

microsansfil said:
I have the same understanding and the questions here seem to be more philosophical than physical. Reality or not of the physics concept of "wave".
QM is the formalism and an interpretation. Your choice reveals how you want to view the world rather than anything 'real'.

Well spotted - many don't get that.
microsansfil said:
a student of L. de Broglie remind that in 1928 he abandoned his theories "Pilot wave" and "double solution theory" to rally to the Bohr and Heisenberg concept.

That's true - its a very old backwater interpretation these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_wave
'From this idea, de Broglie developed the pilot wave theory, and worked out a function for the guiding wave.[4] Initially, de Broglie proposed a double solution approach, in which the quantum object consists of a physical wave (u-wave) in real space which has a spherical singular region that gives rise to particle-like behaviour; in this initial form of his theory he did not have to postulate the existence of a quantum particle.[5] He later formulated it as a theory in which a particle is accompanied by a pilot wave. He presented the pilot wave theory at the 1927 Solvay Conference.[6] However, Wolfgang Pauli raised an objection to it at the conference, saying that it did not deal properly with the case of inelastic scattering. De Broglie was not able to find a response to this objection, and he and Born abandoned the pilot-wave approach. Unlike David Bohm, de Broglie did not complete his theory to encompass the many-particle case.'

That said - its still valid since it has been deliberately cooked up, just like BM, to be indistinguishable from QM. Although it was never completed like BM, its similarity means that would be rather easy.

Added Later:
Must actually check if De-Brogle actually did extend it to multi particles.

Yes - he did - but it didn't seem that difficult.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
Hmmmm. From page 3 of the paper I started the thread with:

'For me, the particle, precisely located in space at every instant, forms on the v wave a small region of high energy concentration, which may be likened in a first approximation to a moving singularity

Now since the v wave is simply the wave-function multiplied by a constant its obvious the particle is a small region of high energy concentration in the wave function.

Sorry - have to disagree with you.

The difference between BM and De-Brogle is simply that. BM assumes the pilot wave guides an actual particle - De-Broglie assumes its a small region of high energy concentration - OK - I will call it that instead of deformation etc since it seems to bother you.

Thanks
Bill

The wave-function is a mathematical construct only. It doesn't physically exist. The particle can't physically be a small region of high energy concentration on a fictitious wave.

The particle is a small region of high energy concentration of the physical wave.

##v## - physical wave.
##\psi## - non-physical, statistical, fictitious wave.

bhobba said:
Since his wave is simply a multiple of the wave-function that's not possible - Bell forbids it.

What is possible is a sub-quantum world that is an approximation to QM to violate Bell.

But the Doublesolution theory, exactly like BM, has been cooked up to be equivalent to QM, so its not possible. There must be interactions that are non-local.

Thanks
Bill

There are two waves in de Broglie's Double Solution theory. There is the ##v## wave which physically exists and guides the particle and there is the ##\psi## wave which is fictitious and used to determine the probabilistic results of experiments. Until you understand this you are incapable of understanding what is, or isn't, possible in de Broglie's Double Solution theory.

liquidspacetime said:
In order for there to be conservation of momentum, the downconverted photon pair are created with opposite angular momentums.

What have photons to do with Bell in a general sense?

liquidspacetime said:
de Broglie's double solution theory is a non-local hidden (to us, not to each of the pair) variable theory.

Now you are saying its non-local - as it must be from Bell.

A theory is either local or not - it can't be non-local but local to each pair - whatever that means.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
See section 4 - it too has the quantum potential - just like BM does

Correct, as de Broglie's Double solution theory has the ##\psi## wave-function wave.

- that determines the motion of the particle

Incorrect. The ##v## wave determines the motion of the particle.

- which is a localised bit of energy in the wave-function in that interpretation. But that seems to be the only difference.

Thanks
Bill

liquidspacetime said:
The wave-function is a mathematical construct only. It doesn't physically exist. The particle can't physically be a small region of high energy concentration on a fictitious wave.

It can't be fictitious if its a simple multiple of it - your constant saying otherwise notwithstanding.

Thanks
Bill

liquidspacetime said:
Incorrect. The ##v## wave determines the motion of the particle.

Sorry - wrong.

Its exactly the same as BM - see section 4 and equation 10 of my linked paper.

Its determined by the quantum potential.

Thanks
Bill

liquidspacetime said:
There is the ##v## wave which physically exists and guides the particle and there is the ##\psi## wave which is fictitious and used to determine the probabilistic results of experiments.

What is the experiment that is proposed to address this ontological affirmation ?

Patrick

microsansfil said:

J-L. Destouches
a student of L. de Broglie remind that in 1928 he abandoned his theories "Pilot wave" and "double solution theory" to rally to the Bohr and Heisenberg concept.Patrick

Incorrect.

NON-LINEAR WAVE MECHANICS
A CAUSAL INTERPRETATION
by
LOUIS DE BROGLIE

"It is sometimes said that when a man grows old he goes back to the preoccupations of his youth. Perhaps that is why, for some four years now, I have asked myself the following question: Might not the concepts which guided my research from 1922 to 1928, when I first worked on Wave Mechanics, be more accurate and fundamental than those that have prevailed since that time?

But, as I have said, since 1951 I have once again been wondering if, after all, my first idea was not the right one. Further reflections on this very difficult problem have led me to refine certain points of the original double-solution theory and, in certain other points actually to modify that theory, notably by introducing a hypothesis that today strikes me as indispensable: namely, that the equation of the propagation of the u wave is, basically, non-linear and, consequently, different from that admitted for the W wave, even though the two equations may be considered identical almost everywhere."

bhobba said:
It can't be fictitious if its a simple multiple of it - your constant saying otherwise notwithstanding.

Thanks
Bill

In de Broglie's double solution theory the wave-function wave is part of the fictitious configuration space.

I don't understand how you are unable to understand the whole point of de Broglie's DOUBLE SOLUTION theory is that there are two waves, the
##v## physical wave and the ##\psi## non-physical, statistical, fictitious wave.

microsansfil said:
What is the experiment that is proposed to address this ontological afirmation ?

That's why its an interpretation - its deliberately cooked up to mimic standard QM so you can't do it - exactly as you can't observe the pilot wave of BM.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Sorry - wrong.

Its exactly the same as BM - see section 4 and equation 10 of my linked paper.

Its determined by the quantum potential.

Thanks
Bill

The ##\psi## is statistical only. It determines the probabilistic results of experiments. As it doesn't physically exist it is incapable of guiding the particle. The ##v## physical wave guides the particle.

microsansfil said:
What is the experiment that is proposed to address this ontological affirmation ?

Patrick

In the following experiment, if the results are as I propose, it is evidence de Broglie is correct. In the following experiment nothing is erased and nothing is delayed, and if the results are as I propose, there will still be two interference patterns determined at D0.

There are two interference patterns being generated at D0 regardless of what else occurs in the experiment. It is the interaction with the second beam splitter which allows for the idler photons to be detected at certain detectors which correspond to the photons being detected at D0.

aHwgqYu.png

liquidspacetime said:
I don't understand how you are unable to understand the whole point of de Broglie's DOUBLE SOLUTION theory is that there are two waves, the ##v## physical wave and the ##\psi## non-physical, statistical, fictitious wave.

That's because you don't get that multiplying something by a constant simply changes units.

All De-Broglie is doing is changing units to better suit his purposes - its done all the time in physics. De-Broglie however is interpreting it differently - but IMHO he is wrong.

Thanks
Bill

liquidspacetime said:
In the following experiment, if the results are as I propose, it is evidence de Broglie is correct. In the following experiment nothing is erased and nothing is delayed, and if the results are as I propose, there will still be two interference patterns determined at D0.
aHwgqYu.png

Great

Get it published, have some experimenter do it, and get back to us with your results.

Oh - and do be so kind as to post the reply from the whatever journal you submit it to - it should prove - most interesting.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
What have photons to do with Bell in a general sense?

We are discussing if Bell's Inequality applies to entangled photons.

Now you are saying its non-local - as it must be from Bell.

You are mistaking non-local behavior with non-local hidden variables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem

"Bell's theorem rules out local hidden variables as a viable explanation of quantum mechanics (though it still leaves the door open for non-local hidden variables)."

A theory is either local or not - it can't be non-local but local to each pair - whatever that means.

Thanks
Bill

The behavior can be local to each pair and the theory can be a non-local hidden variable theory.

bhobba said:
That's because you don't get that multiplying something by a constant simply changes units.

All De-Broglie is doing is changing units to better suit his purposes - its done all the time in physics. De-Broglie however is interpreting it differently - but IMHO he is wrong.

Thanks
Bill

de Broglie is trying to determine the mathematics associated with two different waves. A physical ##v## wave and a non-physical ##\psi## wave.

de Broglie himself says, "the two equations may be considered identical almost everywhere."

"But, as I have said, since 1951 I have once again been wondering if, after all, my first idea was not the right one. Further reflections on this very difficult problem have led me to refine certain points of the original double-solution theory and, in certain other points actually to modify that theory, notably by introducing a hypothesis that today strikes me as indispensable: namely, that the equation of the propagation of the ##v## wave is, basically, non-linear and, consequently, different from that admitted for the ##\psi## wave, even though the two equations may be considered identical almost everywhere."

Last edited:
liquidspacetime said:
The ##\psi## is statistical only. It determines the probabilistic results of experiments. As it doesn't physically exist it is incapable of guiding the particle. The ##v## physical wave guides the particle.

You keep harping on that - why you think repeating it changes anything has me beat.

However the issue has nothing to do with section 4 where the quantum force is the negative gradient of the quantum potential Q.

I will concede however, just like BM, the pilot wave is related to the wave-function. In fact the local phase variation determines the guidance equation - see equation 13.

Thanks
Bill

liquidspacetime said:
Incorrect.

A CAUSAL INTERPRETATION
by
LOUIS DE BROGLIE
Ok

The french title : an attemp of Non-linear ... [ 137€ :-( ]

In 1982 he write also : "1982 Les incertitudes d’Heisenberg et l’interprétation probabiliste de la mécanique ondulatoire " (The Heisenberg uncertainties and the probabilistics interpretation of wave mechanics )

Patrick

liquidspacetime said:
We are discussing if Bell's Inequality applies to entangled photons.

No - we are discussing Bells inequality as it applies to QM. It applies to all quantum objects - not just photons.

The fact you chose something from quantum optics to explain a general concept suggests not understanding the issues involved.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
You keep harping on that - why you think repeating it changes anything has me beat.

Why you can't understand there are two waves in de Broglie's double solution theory, when that's the whole point of the theory, has me beat.

But, as I have said, since 1951 I have once again been wondering if, after all, my first idea was not the right one. Further reflections on this very difficult problem have led me to refine certain points of the original double-solution theory and, in certain other points actually to modify that theory, notably by introducing a hypothesis that today strikes me as indispensable: namely, that the equation of the propagation of the v wave is, basically, non-linear and, consequently, different from that admitted for the ψ wave, even though the two equations may be considered identical almost everywhere."

liquidspacetime said:
Why you can't understand there are two waves in de Broglie's double solution theory, when that's the whole point of the theory, has me beat.
Precisely what don't you get with I don't agree with De-Broglie?

Thanks
Bill

liquidspacetime said:
that the equation of the propagation of the v wave is, basically, non-linear and, consequently, different from that admitted for the ψ wave, even though the two equations may be considered identical almost everywhere."

Since it is simply multiplied by a constant that's impossible.

Thanks
Bill

microsansfil said:
Ok

The french title : an attemp of Non-linear ... [ 137€ :-( ]

In 1982 he write also : "1982 Les incertitudes d’Heisenberg et l’interprétation probabiliste de la mécanique ondulatoire " (The Heisenberg uncertainties and the probabilistics interpretation of wave mechanics )

Patrick

http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/682/bfm%253A978-94-009-2127-6%252F1.pdf?auth66=1413116342_e6b5ffb00ea42194256acbe74c92a075&ext=.pdf

"But in about the last 20 years I have again convinced myself that one should return to the idea that a particle is a very small object that is localized and moves along a trajectory. As I have shown in a series of increasingly thorough studies, malized W wave, with the aid of my concept of a particle guided by its wave, if one completes this notion by a so-called hidden thermodynamics, whose development opens up very novel perspectives. One particular consequence of this therrnodynamics appears very important to me: The principle of least action would merely
be an aspect of the second principle of thermodynamics."

Last edited by a moderator:
bhobba said:
No - we are discussing Bells inequality as it applies to QM. It applies to all quantum objects - not just photons.

The fact you chose something from quantum optics to explain a general concept suggests not understanding the issues involved.

Thanks
Bill

I am explaining what is occurring in terms of entanglement. You can't even understand there are two waves in de Broglie's double solution theory.

In the version of the double solution theory in http://aflb.ensmp.fr/AFLB-classiques/aflb124p001.pdf the ##v## wave can be considered in physical space, and the ##\psi## wave in configuration space in the special case of one particle. That does not generalize to two particles.

bhobba said:

Thanks
Bill

de Broglie says it's the wave-function wave is fictitious. I agree with de Broglie.

bhobba said:
Precisely what don't you get with I don't agree with De-Broglie?

Thanks
Bill

I understand you disagree with de Broglie. However, are you capable of understanding in de Broglie's double solution theory there are two waves?

atyy said:
In the version of the double solution theory in http://aflb.ensmp.fr/AFLB-classiques/aflb124p001.pdf the ##v## wave can be considered in physical space, and the ##\psi## wave in configuration space in the special case of one particle. That does not generalize to two particles.

Correct. Two waves, one particle. A fictitious wave used to determine the probabilistic results of experiments and a physical wave which guides the particle.

liquidspacetime said:
http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/682/bfm%253A978-94-009-2127-6%252F1.pdf?auth66=1413116342_e6b5ffb00ea42194256acbe74c92a075&ext=.pdf
There is an error

This one http://aflb.ensmp.fr/AFLB-classiques/aflb124p001.pdf work

I cannot review here in detail the present state of the double solution theory. A complete presentation may be found in the referenced publications. However I would like to insist on the two main and basic ideas of this interpretation of Wave Mechanics. A/- In my view, the wave is a physical one having a very small amplitude which cannot be arbitrarily normed, and which is distinct from the ψ wave. The latter is normed and has a statistical significance in the usual quantum mechanical formalism. Let v denote this physical wave, which will be connected with the statistical ψ wave by the relation ψ = Cv, where C is a normalizing factor. The ψ wave has the nature of a subjective probability representation formulated by means of the objective v wave.
This distinction, essential in my opinion, was the reason for my naming the theory “Double solution theory”, for v and ψ are thus the two solutions of the same wave equation.
B/- For me, the particle, precisely located in space at every instant, forms on the v wave a small region of high energy concentration, which may be likened in a first approximation, ...

Physical wave are not an ontological concept of wave.

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator:
'But in about the last 20 years I have again convinced myself that one should return to the idea that a particle is a very small object that is localized and moves along a trajectory. As I have shown in a series of increasingly thorough studies, malized W wave, with the aid of my concept of a particle guided by its wave, if one completes this notion by a so-called hidden thermodynamics, whose development opens up very novel perspectives. One particular consequence of this therrnodynamics appears very important to me: The principle of least action would merely be an aspect of the second principle of thermodynamics.'

Mate - why do you keep simply posting text?

You realize physics is written in the language of math?

When I look at a physics paper I look at the equations. That's why I know De-Broglies wave is simply the wave-function multiplied by a constant - he states it right at the outset. That's why I know the particles motion is determined by the quantum potential - its what the force equation says. You must look at the math.

You must also read the paper critically - looking for what's really going on and trying to understand it - rather than non-critical acceptance.

I will have a look at your link as see what I think.

I had a look. It contains basically the same stuff as the paper I posted eg equation 12 and 13 are the same as 34 and 35.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
Since it is simply multiplied by a constant that's impossible.

Thanks
Bill

Not according to de Broglie. And the physical wave is now being mathematical determined by chaos theory which de Broglie also understood.

http://phys.org/news/2013-10-strange-behavior-pilot-wave-dynamics-action.html

""Molacek's work also led to a trajectory equation for walking droplets, which is currently being explored by my graduate student Anand Oza," Bush said. "Our next step is to use this equation to better understand the emergence of quantization and wave-like statistics, both hallmarks of quantum mechanics, in this hydrodynamic pilot-wave system."

http://dspace.mit.edu/openaccess-disseminate/1721.1/89790

"Bell (1987) championed the de Broglie-Bohm pilot-wave theory on the grounds that it presents a conceptual framework for a mechanistic understanding of quantum dynamics, a framework that a purely statistical theory cannot possibly provide. Whatever its shortcomings and limitations, the new physical picture suggested by the walkers, that of a relatively complex chaotic pilot-wave dynamics, also has this appealing feature."

http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2014/fluid-systems-quantum-mechanics-0912

"The fluidic pilot-wave system is also chaotic. It’s impossible to measure a bouncing droplet’s position accurately enough to predict its trajectory very far into the future. But in a recent series of papers, Bush, MIT professor of applied mathematics Ruben Rosales, and graduate students Anand Oza and Dan Harris applied their pilot-wave theory to show how chaotic pilot-wave dynamics leads to the quantumlike statistics observed in their experiments."

A CAUSAL INTERPRETATION
by
LOUIS DE BROGLIE

"Since 1954, when this passage was written, I have come to support wholeheartedly an hypothesis proposed by Bohm and Vigier. According to this hypothesis, the random perturbations to which the particle would be constantly subjected, and which would have the probability of presence in terms of W, arise from the interaction of the particle with a “subquantic medium” which escapes our observation and is entirely chaotic, and which is everywhere present in what we call “empty space"."

Last edited: