What is the Angular Speed After Collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the transfer of kinetic energy to rotational kinetic energy after a collision. The participants agree on the calculation of the moment of inertia, but question whether energy is conserved in the collision. They suggest looking at examples and resources to gain a better understanding of the problem.
sparkle123
Hello,

I'm having difficulty with this problem.
I'm assuming all the kinetic energy of mass m is transferred to rotational kinetic energy after the collision so
1/2 mv2 = 1/2 I ω2
where I is now Md2/12 + m(d/2)2 =3/4 md2
Solving, ω = 2v/√3d
But the answer should be 2v/3d.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer for moment of inertia, but I think maybe energy is not conserved in the collision. Think of a quantity which is still conserved, even though energy isn't.

Got it thanks! :)

Last edited:
Thanks Spinnor! (:

FAQ: What is the Angular Speed After Collision?

1. What is angular speed after collision?

Angular speed after collision refers to the rate of rotation around a fixed axis after two objects collide. It is a measure of how fast an object is spinning after a collision has occurred.

2. How is angular speed calculated after collision?

The angular speed after collision can be calculated by dividing the angular momentum of the system by the moment of inertia. The formula for angular speed is: ω = L/I, where ω is angular speed, L is angular momentum, and I is moment of inertia.

3. What factors affect the angular speed after collision?

The angular speed after collision is affected by the masses and velocities of the colliding objects, as well as the angle at which they collide. The moment of inertia of the objects and the conservation of angular momentum also play a role in determining the final angular speed.

4. Does the type of collision affect the angular speed?

Yes, the type of collision can affect the angular speed after collision. In an elastic collision, where kinetic energy is conserved, the angular speed will remain the same. In an inelastic collision, where kinetic energy is not conserved, the angular speed will decrease due to the loss of energy.

5. How does friction impact the angular speed after collision?

Friction can cause a decrease in angular speed after collision. This is because friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, causing a loss of energy. Friction can also affect the moment of inertia, which can further impact the final angular speed.

Back