What is the Angular Speed of a Disk Pulled with a Constant Force?

In summary, the angular speed of a disk is the rate at which it rotates around its center and is typically measured in radians per second or revolutions per minute. It is different from linear speed, which measures the rate of change of position. Angular speed can be negative, indicating rotation in the opposite direction. It is closely related to angular velocity, with the latter being a vector quantity and the former being a scalar quantity. The size and shape of the disk, applied torque, and moment of inertia are some factors that can affect the angular speed of a disk, along with friction and air resistance.
MillerGenuine

Homework Statement

A 6kg disk with radius 0.3m initially not spinning. String is wrapped around disk, you pull with constant force of 25N through a distance of 0.6m. What is its angular speed.

Homework Equations

Krotational=1/2 I w2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to figure this out. I found moment of inertia no problem (0.27), but I am stuck there. I can't seem to relate Force and Distance to angular speed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help?

Bueller...

FAQ: What is the Angular Speed of a Disk Pulled with a Constant Force?

What is angular speed of a disk?

The angular speed of a disk is the rate at which the disk is rotating around its center. It is typically measured in radians per second or revolutions per minute.

How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed and linear speed are two different concepts. Angular speed measures the rate of rotation, while linear speed measures the rate of change of position. Linear speed is measured in units such as meters per second, while angular speed is measured in radians per second or revolutions per minute.

Can angular speed be negative?

Yes, angular speed can be negative. A negative angular speed indicates that the disk is rotating in the opposite direction compared to a positive angular speed.

How is angular speed related to angular velocity?

Angular speed and angular velocity are closely related. Angular velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of angular displacement, while angular speed is a scalar quantity that describes the magnitude of angular velocity.

What factors affect the angular speed of a disk?

The angular speed of a disk can be affected by various factors such as the size and shape of the disk, the torque applied to the disk, and the moment of inertia of the disk. Friction and air resistance can also affect the angular speed of a disk.

Back