What is the Average Velocity of a Stone Tossed in the Air?

In summary, the problem involves a stone being thrown in the air with an initial velocity of 20m/s and its height at time t is given by the equation h(t) = 20t-4.9t^2 m. The task is to compute the average velocity of the stone over the time interval [1.5, 2.5]. The individual is aware of the formula for average velocity but is having difficulty finding the change in distance from the given equation. They tried searching for a similar question but could not find one. After being given specific time values, they understand how to use the formula and thank the person. An important point is mentioned about the average velocity being 0 if the stone returns to the ground
vysero
Here is my problem:

A stone is tossed in the air from ground level with an initial velocity of 20m/s. Its height at time t is h(t) = 20t-4.9t^2 m. Compute the stones avg velocity over the time interval [1.5,2.5].

I understand how to compute average velocity its Vavg=change in distance/change in time. However, I am running into a problem trying to figure a change in distance from the equation they gave me.

I tried searching in the library for a similar question but could not find one.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the height at time t = 2.5 s?
What is the height at time t = 1.5 s?
How much time elapsed between time t = 1.5 s and time 2.5 s?

Oh I get it so I plug those values into the formula to get the height and then I compute the average velocity? Cool thanks!

Important point- if you throw a rock from ground level so that it goes to a very great height, then comes down and hits the ground again, obviously it must have had a large velocity at certain time. But since it started at ground level and got back to ground level, its net distance traveled is 0 and its average velocity over that time is 0.

FAQ: What is the Average Velocity of a Stone Tossed in the Air?

1. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of an object's displacement over a given time interval. It is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken.

2. How do you calculate average velocity?

To calculate average velocity, divide the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: average velocity = (final position - initial position) / (final time - initial time).

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall change in position over a given time interval, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity takes into account the overall motion of an object, while instantaneous velocity only looks at a specific point.

4. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if a person walks backwards, their average velocity would be negative.

5. What is the unit of measurement for average velocity?

The unit of measurement for average velocity is distance divided by time, such as meters per second (m/s) or miles per hour (mph).