What is the baseline height when using Safari for latex formatting on an iPad?

Frabjous
Gold Member
Using safari on an ipad \sqrt{ab} has a slight vertical offset between a and b.
##\sqrt{ab}##
Is it me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me...

1693704742595.png

Safari on an iPad here and I see that slight vertical offset. @berkeman what device/browser did you take your screenshot (which does not have this oddity) on?

I also see it with Firefox on iPhone
1693717135922.png

I see the same offset in the first post in this thread, in Safari on a 2019 iMac, under the latest version of MacOS (16.5.1).

Looks fine in Firefox on Android.

Nugatory said:
@berkeman what device/browser did you take your screenshot (which does not have this oddity) on?
Firefox on Win10 laptop.

So this seems as if this may be an apple environment thing?

Maybe a font issue.

Nugatory said:
So this seems as if this may be an apple environment thing?
It's a WebKit thing. Safari on all platforms and all browsers on iOS devices render using WebKit.

Let's see what happens if there are more than two letters: ##\sqrt{abcde}##

A rollercoaster! 😆

Does the baseline height really alternate, or is it associated with specific letters? ##\sqrt{abdce}##

Looks like the latter. Let's try the entire alphabet: ##\sqrt{abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz}##

Likes vela

Related to What is the baseline height when using Safari for latex formatting on an iPad?

What is the baseline height when using Safari for LaTeX formatting on an iPad?

The baseline height refers to the vertical distance from the bottom of a line of text to the bottom of the next line. This can vary depending on the font and size used in LaTeX formatting.

How does the baseline height affect LaTeX rendering in Safari on an iPad?

The baseline height affects the spacing between lines of text in LaTeX documents. Consistent baseline height ensures that mathematical symbols and text are properly aligned, enhancing readability.

Can I adjust the baseline height for LaTeX in Safari on an iPad?

Adjusting the baseline height directly in Safari is not possible. However, you can modify the LaTeX source code to change font sizes or line spacing, which indirectly affects the baseline height.

Are there any tools or extensions to help manage baseline height for LaTeX in Safari on an iPad?

There are no specific tools or extensions for managing baseline height in Safari on an iPad. However, using a LaTeX editor with more customization options on a computer might be helpful before viewing the document in Safari.

Does the baseline height differ between Safari on an iPad and other browsers or devices?

Yes, the baseline height can differ between browsers and devices due to variations in rendering engines and default font settings. Testing your LaTeX documents across multiple platforms is recommended for consistency.