What is the connection between path integrals and cross sections?

In summary, Z[J] is a statistical measure indicating how many standard deviations a data point is from the mean, while cross section is the measure of the area of interaction between particles in a collision. Z[J] is calculated by subtracting the mean from the data point and then dividing by the standard deviation. A high Z[J] score indicates an extreme or unusual data point. Cross section is measured in units of area and is calculated by dividing the number of interactions by the number of particles and exposure time. These measures are important in scientific research because they provide valuable information about the distribution of data and can help predict outcomes in experiments.
earth2
Hey folks,

i am currently making myself familiar with the path integral in high energy physics by reading Lewis Ryder's QFT book. I do have a question however, since i do not really understand the connection between the path integral and the cross section of a process. Are they only related to each other via the LSZ-reduction formula or is there some other way?

Thanks!
earth2

Physics news on Phys.org
lsz!

Related to What is the connection between path integrals and cross sections?

What is Z[J] and cross section?

Z[J] stands for "Z-score" and is a statistical measure that indicates how many standard deviations a data point is above or below the mean of a data set. Cross section refers to the measure of the area of interaction between particles in a collision.

How is Z[J] calculated?

The Z-score is calculated by subtracting the mean from the data point and then dividing by the standard deviation. The formula is Z[J] = (x - μ) / σ, where x is the data point, μ is the mean, and σ is the standard deviation.

What does a high Z[J] score indicate?

A high Z-score indicates that the data point is significantly above the mean of the data set. This means that the data point is more extreme or unusual compared to the rest of the data.

How is cross section measured?

Cross section is typically measured in units of area, such as square meters. It is calculated by dividing the number of interactions between particles by the number of particles in the colliding beams and the amount of time the beams are exposed to each other.

Why is Z[J] and cross section important in scientific research?

Z[J] and cross section are important measures in fields such as physics and statistics. They provide valuable information about the distribution of data and the likelihood of particle interactions, which can help scientists understand the behavior of particles and make predictions about potential outcomes in experiments.

Back