What is the displacement of a particle in a constant electric field?

In summary, a particle with a charge of +14.5C and a mass of 5.09 × 10-5 kg is released from rest in a region with a constant electric field of +328 N/C. To find the displacement after 4.40 × 10-2 s, the acceleration and final velocity must first be calculated using the equations for electric force and acceleration. Then, the displacement can be found using the formula x= (vf2-vo2)/(2a). There is also a more convenient formula that relates displacement, initial velocity, acceleration, and time that can be used.
Melssssss

Homework Statement

A particle of charge +14.5http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs6407/art/qb/qu/c18/lower_mu.gifC and mass 5.09 × 10-5 kg is released from rest in a region where there is a constant electric field of +328 N/C. What is the displacement of the particle after a time of 4.40 × 10-2 s?

http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs6407/art/qb/qu/c18/w1706-chap18prob49.gif

Homework Equations

electric force= qE
Elecrtic force= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the force and the acceleration from above equations. hoe do I use that information to go further.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Is the acceleration constant?

TSny said:
Hint: Is the acceleration constant?[

I believe so yes.

If you know the acceleration and the time, how do you get displacement? You would have studied this early in your coverage of mechanics.

TSny said:
If you know the acceleration and the time, how do you get displacement? You would have studied this early in your coverage of mechanics.
but the velocity is changing, the picture of it wouldn't load.

Yes, the velocity is changing.

Suppose a particle starts at rest and moves with constant acceleration, a, for a time, t. Can you express the final velocity, vf, in terms of a and t? If you can do that, then you can use the result for vf to help get the displacement.

ta + v(initial)

Melssssss said:
ta + v(initial)
OK. For this problem the initial velocity is 0. So, the final velocity is vf = at. What would be the average velocity during the time t?

in this case, 4.1128.
so then I would plug all this into this equation
x= vf2-vo2/2a?

Melssssss said:
in this case, 4.1128.
so then I would plug all this into this equation
x= vf2-vo2/2a?
On the formatting toolbar there is an icon for superscripts. So, your equation is x= (vf2-vo2)/(2a). Note the parentheses that I added to make the equation correct according to the rules of "order of operations".

This is one of the well-known formulas for constant acceleration that I was referring to in post #4. This equation will get to the answer if you first calculate vf.

However, if you are familiar with those constant acceleration equations, there is one that would be more convenient for this problem. Do you know of a formula that relates x, vo, a, and t?

Related to What is the displacement of a particle in a constant electric field?

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is the distance and direction of an object's change in position from its starting point.

2. How is displacement different from distance?

While displacement measures the straight line distance between an object's starting and ending position, distance is the total length of the path traveled by the object.

3. What is the equation for calculating displacement?

The equation for displacement is: displacement = final position - initial position. It is typically represented by the symbol Δx.

4. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction from its starting point.

5. How does time affect displacement?

The longer the time, the greater the displacement. This is because displacement is directly proportional to the object's velocity, which is the speed at which the object is moving. The longer the object is in motion, the farther it will have traveled from its starting point.