What Is the Electric Field of a Coaxial Cable?

In summary: Well, where do you think the charges are located on the inner wire?The charges would be located on the surface of the inner wire and the surface of the metal sheath. Since they cover the same length, the charges would be the same.Yes, exactly. So what is the total charge on the inner wire?Yes, exactly. So what is the total charge on the inner wire?The total charge on the inner wire would be Qenclosed = λL. Is that right?The total charge on the inner wire would be Qenclosed = λL. Is that right?In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field in three different regions (0 < r < a, a < r < b
Kot

Homework Statement

A long coaxial cable of length L consists of a cylindrical metal sheath of radius b surrounding a conducting wire with outer radius a. The sheath and wire are given the same charge per length +Q/L. Find the electric field in terms of distance r from the central axis of the wire in the regions 0 < r < a, a < r < b, and r > b.

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law ∫EdA = Qino

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure how to do this problem but I think I have an idea. I have to find the electric field in terms of distance r of three different regions 0 < r < a, a < r < b, and r > b. Since the cable and metal sheath have the same charge per length, wouldn't they both have the same charge and cancel out? Could someone explain how I can find the Gaussian surface for the first region?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kot! :smile:
Kot said:
Since the cable and metal sheath have the same charge per length, wouldn't they both have the same charge and cancel out?

For r > b, yes

So the electric field there is … ? :wink:
Could someone explain how I can find the Gaussian surface for the first region?

(for r < a) Why don't you just use a cylinder of radius r ?

For r > b, the electric field wouldn't completely cancel out since I was given an arbitrary a and b.

For a < r < b, I am still not sure what radius to use. How can i express a radius that is between a and b?

Hi Kot! :smile:
Kot said:
For r > b, the electric field wouldn't completely cancel out since I was given an arbitrary a and b.

But the question says that the charges per length are equal. :confused:
Kot said:
The sheath and wire are given the same charge per length +Q/L.
For a < r < b, I am still not sure what radius to use. How can i express a radius that is between a and b?

Just call it r.

What do you get?​

It's charge per length is equal but doesn't the length of a and b also contribute to the electric field?

For a < r < b, if I have a Guassian surface (cylinder in this case) then I get:

EA = ρV / εo

E2∏rL = ρ∏r2L / εo

E = ρ / 2 εo

Kot said:
It's charge per length is equal but doesn't the length of a and b also contribute to the electric field?

charge per length is what it says

the radius (a or b) has nothing to do with it
ρ∏r2L / εo

what is ρ ? :confused:

you seem to be calculating a volume

the charge is a surface charge, on two cylindrical shells

Oops,

EA = σA / εo

E(2∏rL) = σ(2∏rL) / εo

E = σ / εo

where σ is the surface charge density of the cylinders. Is this correct?

Kot said:
σ(2∏rL)

what is this supposed to be? :confused:

(and what does 2πr have to do with it?)

σ(2∏rL) is σA, the surface charge density of the cylinder. Since I need to find the electric field, I used Gauss' Law ∫EdA = Qenclosed / εo . I replaced Qenclosed with σA.

But the surface charge depends only on L :redface:
Kot said:

(and now I'm off to bed :zzz:)

Could I get a hint on how to do this problem?

(just got up :zzz:)

If …
Kot said:

… then what is the total charge inside a cylinder of length L and radius r (a < r < b) ?

Would the total charge inside a cylinder be Qenclosed = E2∏rLεo ?

why?? :confused:

(and what is E ? and what happened to Q ?)

I used Gauss's Law. The E is the electric field and Q is the total charge enclosed inside the cylinder.

Kot said:

Homework Statement

A long coaxial cable of length L consists of a cylindrical metal sheath of radius b surrounding a conducting wire with outer radius a. The sheath and wire are given the same charge per length +Q/L. Find the electric field in terms of distance r from the central axis of the wire in the regions 0 < r < a, a < r < b, and r > b.

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law ∫EdA = Qino

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure how to do this problem but I think I have an idea. I have to find the electric field in terms of distance r of three different regions 0 < r < a, a < r < b, and r > b. Since the cable and metal sheath have the same charge per length, wouldn't they both have the same charge and cancel out? Could someone explain how I can find the Gaussian surface for the first region?

Start by setting up a Gaussian surface inside the inner wire ( r < a). What is the shape of the surface?

rude man said:
Start by setting up a Gaussian surface inside the inner wire ( r < a). What is the shape of the surface?

The Guassian surface is a cylinder. Since it is symmetrical I don't have to do the integral, I can use EA = Qenclosed / εo. The area of the cylinder would be 2∏rL.

Kot said:
The Guassian surface is a cylinder. Since it is symmetrical I don't have to do the integral, I can use EA = Qenclosed / εo. The area of the cylinder would be 2∏rL.

Right. But what is Qenclosed?

rude man said:
Right. But what is Qenclosed?

If I let the Guassian surface (cylinder) to be the same length as the cable, Qenclosed would be the same length as the cable L. I can rewrite Q as λL. Is that right?

Kot said:
If I let the Guassian surface (cylinder) to be the same length as the cable, Qenclosed would be the same length as the cable L. I can rewrite Q as λL. Is that right?

Well, where do you think the charges are located on the inner wire?

Remember, the cable's inner and outer conductors are just that - conductors.

rude man said:
Remember, the cable's inner and outer conductors are just that - conductors.

Since it is a conductor, wouldn't the electric field be zero?

Kot said:
Since it is a conductor, wouldn't the electric field be zero?

Yes, but my question was, where are the charges located? The problem said you have Q coulombs per meter charge sitting somewhere in/on the inside wire.

rude man said:
Yes, but my question was, where are the charges located? The problem said you have Q coulombs per meter charge sitting somewhere in/on the inside wire.

The charges are located at the center of the Guassian cylinder.

Kot said:
The charges are located at the center of the Guassian cylinder.

No. The charges all repel each other & so want to get as far away from each other as possible. So where would that be?

rude man said:
No. The charges all repel each other & so want to get as far away from each other as possible. So where would that be?

On the surface of the Guassian cylinder?

Kot said:
On the surface of the Guassian cylinder?

The Gaussian cylinder is a construct. You can place a gaussian cylinder any way you want, so that can't be the answer. Besides, the charges have to rest on some kind of matter, not some fictitious surface. Specifically, they have to be somewhere on/in the wire, since that's what you were given.

rude man said:
The Gaussian cylinder is a construct. You can place a gaussian cylinder any way you want, so that can't be the answer. Besides, the charges have to rest on some kind of matter, not some fictitious surface. Specifically, they have to be somewhere on/in the wire, since that's what you were given.

I can't see why this matters. Doesn't Guass's Law apply to a charge inside a chosen surface. If I chose the Guassian surface to be big enough, it would contain the charge. Since the charges are repelled by each other and cannot be on the Guassian surface, it would be on the surface of the wire?

Kot said:
I can't see why this matters. Doesn't Guass's Law apply to a charge inside a chosen surface. If I chose the Guassian surface to be big enough, it would contain the charge. Since the charges are repelled by each other and cannot be on the Guassian surface, it would be on the surface of the wire?

Contain it, not hold it.

Your answer is now correct: the charges all reside on the outer surface of the inner wire at r = a.

So now place your gaussian cylinder with radius r < a, how much charge does it hold?

rude man said:
Contain it, not hold it.

Your answer is now correct: the charges all reside on the outer surface of the inner wire at r = a.

So now place your gaussian cylinder with radius r < a, how much charge does it hold?

Well since all the charges reside on the outer surface r=a, and the chosen Guassian surface has r<a. The Guassian surface does not hold any charge.

Kot said:
Well since all the charges reside on the outer surface r=a, and the chosen Guassian surface has r<a. The Guassian surface does not hold any charge.

Bingo again! So what by your formula for E does that make the E field at r < a?

rude man said:
Bingo again! So what by your formula for E does that make the E field at r < a?

At r < a, E = 0.

Kot said:
At r < a, E = 0.

Right. And that squares with what you said before about the E field inside a conductor being zero, doesn't it.

Now, put your gaussian surface in the region a < r < b. What is E now?

rude man said:
Right. And that squares with what you said before about the E field inside a conductor being zero, doesn't it.

Now, put your gaussian surface in the region a < r < b. What is E now?

Now choosing the Guassian surface to be in a < r < b, the total amount of Qenclosed is equal to the charges that were described earlier (on the surface of the wire). So EA = Qenclosed / εo. A is the surface area of the Guassian cylinder 2∏*r*L and Qenclosed = λL. Using these values in Gauss's Law gives E = λ / (2∏rεo).

Last edited: