What is the Impact of Sinkholes on Civil Engineering Projects and Structures?

• Thread starter Saeed cho
  • Start date
In summary, sinkholes can have a significant impact on civil engineering projects and structures. These collapsed underground cavities can cause damage to roads, buildings, and other infrastructure, leading to costly repairs and potential safety hazards. Sinkholes are often caused by natural processes such as erosion and groundwater depletion, but they can also be triggered by human activities such as construction and mining. Civil engineers must carefully consider the risk of sinkholes in their designs and implement measures to prevent or mitigate their effects. This includes conducting thorough site investigations, using appropriate construction techniques, and monitoring for potential sinkhole formation. Overall, the impact of sinkholes on civil engineering projects and structures highlights the importance of thorough planning and risk management in the field of civil engineering.
Saeed cho
How did you find PF?
Via Google search
Hey! I work in a factory as civil engineering department manager and I currently we are looking for ways to increase the evaporation rate in our 900 hectares large lake!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums, Saeed. It's good to have you here.

For your question, probably the Mechanical Engineering or General Engineering forum would be a good fit. Be sure to include links to the reading you've been doing so far about the subject, and include things like general climate data, nearby geography (mountains, plains, desert, etc.), and what kinds of resources you have available.

Enjoy the PF! :smile:

Welcome to PF!

I guess there are two basic strategies:
1) Get the water hotter - perhaps some covering that absorbs more sunlight.
2) Increase the mix rate with the air - by spraying the water, bubbling the air, or increasing the air speed.

I have nothing specific device to suggest. It gets down to economics.