What is the longest lasting non-living thing in the universe?

• Thread starter apathyinlife
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of mortality and the afterlife, with the question of what is the longest lasting non-living thing in the universe. Some suggest red dwarf stars, while others argue that they will eventually be sucked into black holes. A suggestion is made for living things such as bristlecone pines, which can live for thousands of years. The conversation ends with a correction about the evaporation time of black holes.
apathyinlife
Good morning, afternoon or evening to whomever may be reading. My name is Garrick Betts. I have a question that I feel may pertain to this area of physics. I must apologize now because this whole spiel will be a grammatical nightmare. Anyway... I have come to the recent acceptance/ agony of acceptance of my mortality. I feel when I pass I will experience no afterlife because my brain will die. There will be no further intake or ability to take in new information. With this recent thought pattern many random thoughts have been arising. The thoughts that I have had tonight have brought me here they are as follows: the human body is weak; martial arts, in a combat sense, would be easy with patience and anything else that lives is equally as weak. (I'm thinking oh well a tree seems pretty sturdy but no it is not it will die as well.) After these thoughts I was trying to think of what would be an apt image to focus on to develop strength, not super human, just something to aid the building of muscle, this coming from my time as a wiccan. So, I thought of a house, cool, non-living, but... made from previously alive things. The house will, in time erode. So, the question that I am posing to the scientific masses is this: what is the longest lasting, non-living, thing in the universe?
Again, I do apologize for how jumbled this message is and my thoughts still aren't fully formed this was a spur of the moment had-to-know kind of thing. If you can make sense of this and can in any way empathize with me you are truly intelligent. Thank-you and have a good morning, afternoon or evening.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Red dwarf stars will live on for 100 trillion years - that's almost 10,000 times longer than the universe has been around to-date.

If a red dwarf's lifespan were 80 years, that means the oldest one today would be an infantile 2 days old.

Wouldn't a black hole last longer than a star? Unless the star were guaranteed to never travel near a black hole, which I don't think you could do.

Thinking of your red dwarf star being sucked into a black hole would probably be a strange source of motivation and strength, though.

I'd go with living things. Bristlecone pines live a long time. (In fact, there's a sad story of a researcher cutting down a bristlecone pine only to realize he'd just killed the oldest known living organism on Earth.)

BobG said:
Wouldn't a black hole last longer than a star?

They evaporate. Big ones in as little as 3 billion years. Small ones in as much as 10^67 years. (OK, that's longer than 100 trillion)
BobG said:
I'd go with living things. Bristlecone pines live a long time. (In fact, there's a sad story of a researcher cutting down a bristlecone pine only to realize he'd just killed the oldest known living organism on Earth.)

Well, I assume he came to the Astro forum for a reason...

DaveC426913 said:
They evaporate. Big ones in as little as 3 billion years. Small ones in as much as 10^67 years. (OK, that's longer than 100 trillion)

Sorry? I think you've swapped big and small here.

Nabeshin said:
Sorry? I think you've swapped big and small here.
Sorry, you are right. I read it wrong.

For a black hole of one solar mass ... we get an evaporation time of 2.098 × 10^67 years...

But for a black hole of 10^11 kg, the evaporation time is 2.667 billion years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation#Black_hole_evaporation

Related to What is the longest lasting non-living thing in the universe?

1. What is a question with background?

A question with background is a type of question that includes additional information or context before the actual question is stated. This can help provide a better understanding of the topic and lead to a more detailed and specific answer.

2. How is a question with background different from a regular question?

A regular question typically asks for specific information without any additional context. A question with background, on the other hand, provides more information and context before asking for a specific answer.

3. Why are questions with background useful in scientific research?

In scientific research, questions with background are useful because they allow for a more thorough understanding of a topic and can lead to more detailed and accurate answers. They also help to guide the research process and provide a clear direction for further investigation.

4. Can a question with background be used in any scientific field?

Yes, a question with background can be used in any scientific field. It is a useful tool for gathering information and conducting research in any area of study.

5. How can one effectively formulate a question with background?

To effectively formulate a question with background, it is important to first identify the main topic or problem you want to address. Then, provide relevant background information that will help to clarify and focus the question. Finally, clearly state the specific question you want to answer. This will help create a well-rounded and informative question with background.