What is the Maximum Acceleration for Contact of Skidding Bicycle Tires?

In summary, the conversation discusses a simplified model of a bicycle and its motion, involving a constant deceleration and ignoring air resistance. The maximum value of acceleration is sought in order for both tires to remain in contact with the ground, taking into account different coefficients of sliding friction for the front and rear tires. The case where μ1=μ2 is also mentioned, with the correct solution being wg/2h. However, in this case, the correct answer is none of the listed options.
fizics

Homework Statement

A simplified model of a bicycle of mass M has two tires that each comes into contact with the ground at a point. The wheelbase of this bicycle (the distance between the points of contact with the ground) is w, and the center of mass of the bicycle is located midway between the tires and a height h above the ground. The bicycle is moving to the right, but slowing down at a constant rate. The acceleration has a magnitude a. Air resistance may be ignored. Assume that the coefficient of sliding friction between each tire and the ground is different: μ1 for the front tire and μ2 for the rear tire. Let μ1=2*μ2. Assume that both tires are skidding: sliding without rotating. What is the maximum value of a so that both tires remain in contact with the ground?

Additionally, I'm confused how this case is different from the case that μ1=μ2.

Homework Equations

Friction=μmg
F1*L1=F2*L2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find any difference between this case and the "μ1=μ2" one,so I cannot go on.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

fizics said:

Homework Statement

A simplified model of a bicycle of mass M has two tires that each comes into contact with the ground at a point. The wheelbase of this bicycle (the distance between the points of contact with the ground) is w, and the center of mass of the bicycle is located midway between the tires and a height h above the ground. The bicycle is moving to the right, but slowing down at a constant rate. The acceleration has a magnitude a. Air resistance may be ignored. Assume that the coefficient of sliding friction between each tire and the ground is different: μ1 for the front tire and μ2 for the rear tire. Let μ1=2*μ2. Assume that both tires are skidding: sliding without rotating. What is the maximum value of a so that both tires remain in contact with the ground?

Additionally, I'm confused how this case is different from the case that μ1=μ2.

Homework Equations

Friction=μmg
F1*L1=F2*L2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find any difference between this case and the "μ1=μ2" one,so I cannot go on.
I think that is the answer. Is there any downward force on the rear tire when the condition is met (ie. maximum value of a to keep back wheel on ground). Why would μ2 matter at all? BTW what is the solution for the case in which μ1=μ2?

AM

Oh,thank you.I was just not confident enough.The answer to "μ1=μ2" case is wg/2h,which I got it right.But the choices in this case are:
(a)wg/h
(b)wg/3h
(c)2wg/3h
(d)hg/2w
(e)none of the above
The answer is (e),so I can't confirm if what I think is right.

Related to What is the Maximum Acceleration for Contact of Skidding Bicycle Tires?

1. How do you calculate the diameter of a bicycle tire?

To calculate the diameter of a bicycle tire, you will need to measure the distance between the center of the tire and the outer edge of the tire. This distance is known as the radius. You can then multiply the radius by 2 to get the diameter of the tire.

2. What is the standard size for a bicycle tire?

The standard size for a bicycle tire is 700c. However, there are different sizes available depending on the type of bike and its intended use. It is important to check the manufacturer's specifications for the correct tire size for your bike.

3. How do you determine the tire pressure for a bicycle tire?

The recommended tire pressure for a bicycle tire can usually be found on the side of the tire itself. It is important to check this pressure and adjust it accordingly before each ride to ensure optimal performance and safety.

4. Can I use any type of tire for my bicycle?

No, it is important to use the appropriate tire for your specific type of bicycle. For example, road bikes require thinner tires with higher pressure, while mountain bikes require wider tires with lower pressure for better traction on off-road terrain.

5. How often should I replace my bicycle tires?

The lifespan of a bicycle tire can vary depending on factors such as usage, terrain, and maintenance. On average, a tire should be replaced every 2,000-3,000 miles or every 1-2 years. It is important to regularly inspect your tires for signs of wear and replace them when necessary for safety and performance reasons.