What is the Maximum Mass M That Can Be Balanced on Two Wedges Without Slipping?

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of balancing a cube of mass M on two wedges with mass m on a frictionless surface. By splitting the block in half and considering the forces on the block, it was determined that the largest M could be balanced without moving is equal to Mg/2cos(theta).
learning_phys

Homework Statement

There are two wedges, each with mass m, placed on a flat floor. A cube of mass M is balanced on the wedges. Assume there is no friction between wedge and block, and the coefficient of static friction is less than 1 between the floor and wedges. What is the largest M that can be balanced without moving?

diagram here:
http://sites.google.com/site/learningphys/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If we split the block in half due to symmetry, the question will get easier.

force of friction is given by:
[tex]F=\mu (\frac{M}{2}+m)g[/tex]
the M/2 comes from taking only half of the block

i want to equate the force that the block has on one of the wedge.

Still considering half of the diagram, i want the normal force of (M/2)g to the wedge's surface. The normal force is give by the usual inclined plane equation, mgcos(theta)

So normal force of (M/2) is:

[tex]N=\frac{Mg}{2}cos(\theta)[/tex]

this normal force pushes in the opposite direction of the force of friction... but we have to consider the horizontal component, which tags on a sin(theta) term

I finally get:

[tex]\mu (\frac{M}{2}+m)g=\frac{Mg}{2}cos(\theta)sin(\theta)[/tex]

And then i solve for mu. How close am I to being correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
learning_phys said:
Assume there is no friction between wedge and block,

Still considering half of the diagram, i want the normal force of (M/2)g to the wedge's surface. The normal force is give by the usual inclined plane equation, mgcos(theta)

So normal force of (M/2) is:

[tex]N=\frac{Mg}{2}cos(\theta)[/tex]

Hi learning_phys! :smile:

No … consider the forces on the block

there is no friction, so the only forces are Mg/2 and N …

the horizontal components balance anyway …

so resolve vertically, and that gives you … ? :smile:

are you sayin N=Mg/2? but the normal force should be perpendicular to the blocks surface right? (that's why I have the cosine term)

learning_phys said:
but the normal force should be perpendicular to the blocks surface right?

Yes (because there is no friction). :smile:
are you sayin N=Mg/2?

No … resolve vertically.

learning_phys said:
ok, i get N=Mg/(2cos(theta))
??

That's it! :smile:

awesome

so I would get:
[tex]\mu (\frac{M}{2}+m)g=\frac{Mg}{2cos(\theta)}sin(\theta )[/tex]

learning_phys said:
awesome

so I would get:
[tex]\mu (\frac{M}{2}+m)g=\frac{Mg}{2cos(\theta)}sin(\theta )[/tex]

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:
(you're easily awed! … :wink:)
And so the largest M is … ? :smile:

Related to What is the Maximum Mass M That Can Be Balanced on Two Wedges Without Slipping?

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is tilted at an angle. It is commonly used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object to a certain height.

How does friction affect an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that resists the motion between two surfaces. On an inclined plane, friction can make it more difficult to move objects up or down the slope, as it acts in the opposite direction of the movement.

What is the relationship between the angle of inclination and the amount of force needed?

The steeper the angle of inclination, the greater the force needed to move an object up the plane. This is because the component of the weight of the object that acts parallel to the plane increases as the angle increases.

How can friction be reduced on an inclined plane?

Friction can be reduced on an inclined plane by using a smoother surface, such as a polished metal ramp, or by adding a lubricant between the surfaces. Additionally, reducing the weight or mass of the object can also decrease the amount of friction.

What are some real-life examples of inclined planes and friction?

Inclined planes and friction are used in many everyday objects, such as ramps, stairs, and slides. They are also used in more complex machines, such as escalators, roller coasters, and car ramps. Inclined planes and friction are also important in the field of engineering, where they are used to design and construct structures like bridges and roads.