What is the Minimum Uncertainty in Block's Speed on a Frictionless Surface?

• Thread starter footballfreak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the minimum uncertainty in a block's speed on a frictionless surface, given its mass and a measurement precision of 0.30 cm. Potential sources of error are also mentioned, including incorrect conversions and a misunderstanding of the equation for momentum. After multiple attempts, the correct uncertainty in speed is determined to be 1.62403627 × 10-32.
footballfreak

Homework Statement

A 1.70 kg block rests on the icy surface of a frozen pond, which you can assume to be frictionless. If the location of the block is measured to a precision of 0.30 cm, what is the minimum uncertainty in the block's speed, assuming the mass is known exactly?

Homework Equations

xp=h/4(3.14)

The Attempt at a Solution

xp=h/4(3.14)
x(mv)=h/4(3.14)
I plugged in all the values and got v. The answer was wrong. I then multiplies by .0003 and that was also wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
potential sources of error # 1:
0.3 cm = 0.003 meters, not 0.0003 meters

potential source of error # 2
they ask you for uncertainty in speed, while the equation for momentum p = mu considers VELOCITY
an uncertainty in speed of 10m/s , for example, is equal to an uncertainty in velocity of 20 m/s, since a speed up to 10 m/s implies a range of velocities from -10m/s to +10m/s
so try multiplying the speed by 2 :) (edit: or rather, try dividing the uncertainty in velocity you get by 2 to get the uncertainty in speed, since the block moves in both directions)

1.03E-32 the velocity by 2 and got 5.16E-33 which is wrong by 10% to 100%.

I used .003 meters.

are you sure your math is right? using the version of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle that you've provided (there are many variations of it) and the values for m and deltax youve given,
i get an uncertainty in velocity of 3.24807255 × 10-32
which is an uncertainty in speed of 1.62403627 × 10-32

The math is right i did a million times. 1.62E-32 is wrong and it was last my chance. thanks, anways...

FAQ: What is the Minimum Uncertainty in Block's Speed on a Frictionless Surface?

What is the Heisenburg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenburg uncertainty principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the precise position and momentum of a particle. This means that the more accurately we know the position of a particle, the less accurately we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

Why is the Heisenburg uncertainty principle important?

The Heisenburg uncertainty principle has significant implications in the world of quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in our understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles. It also helps to explain phenomena such as wave-particle duality and the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

How was the Heisenburg uncertainty principle discovered?

The Heisenburg uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenburg in 1927. Heisenburg was trying to develop a mathematical framework to describe the behavior of subatomic particles, and he realized that there was a fundamental limit to how precisely we can measure certain properties of these particles.

Can the Heisenburg uncertainty principle be violated?

No, the Heisenburg uncertainty principle is a fundamental law of quantum mechanics and cannot be violated. It is an inherent property of the universe and has been supported by numerous experiments and observations.

How does the Heisenburg uncertainty principle impact our daily lives?

While the Heisenburg uncertainty principle may seem abstract and only applicable to the microscopic world, it actually has implications in our daily lives. Many modern technologies, such as transistors and lasers, rely on the principles of quantum mechanics and would not function without a deep understanding of the Heisenburg uncertainty principle.

Back