What is the Relationship Between Trig Functions and Vector Constants?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the similarities between trig functions and vector constants when used as expressions, specifically in the context of y=cos^2x+3 and y=cosx/sinx. The person is questioning the statement and asking for further explanation on how trig functions are just numbers and their use beyond right triangle problems.
flashgordon2!
i'm thinking that trig functions are like vector constants when used as expressions.

Like, y=cos^2x+3, or y=cosx/sinx

I'm meaning to talk about what's meant by a trig function is just a number and how trig is used beyong right triangle problems.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am unsure what knowledge you request. Please explain with more detail.

flashgordon2! said:
i'm thinking that trig functions are like vector constants when used as expressions.

Like, y=cos^2x+3, or y=cosx/sinx

I'm meaning to talk about what's meant by a trig function is just a number and how trig is used beyong right triangle problems.

No, trig functions are like scalar functions (they are scalar functions). WHY do you think they have anything to do with "vector constants" (by which I presume you mean "constant vectors")? It is true that if x is the angle a 2-dimensional vector makes with the x-axis then its components are multiples of cos x and sin x but that doesn't mean that trig functions are "like vector constants". In what sense are your examples, y= cos2x+ 3 and y= cos x/sin x, "like vector constants"?

Related to What is the Relationship Between Trig Functions and Vector Constants?

1. What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions, also known as trig functions, are mathematical functions that relate the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides. They are used to solve problems involving triangles and are essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

2. What are the six basic trigonometric functions?

The six basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant. These functions are derived from the ratios of the sides of a right triangle.

3. What is the unit circle and how is it related to trigonometric functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin on a coordinate plane. It is used to represent the values of trigonometric functions for any angle. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle represents the cosine of the angle, and the y-coordinate represents the sine of the angle.

4. How are trigonometric functions used to solve real-world problems?

Trigonometric functions are used to solve real-world problems involving angles and distances. For example, they can be used to calculate the height of a building, the distance between two points, or the speed of an object.

5. What is the relationship between trigonometric functions and inverse trigonometric functions?

Inverse trigonometric functions are the opposite of trigonometric functions. They are used to find the angle given the ratio of the sides of a triangle. For example, the inverse of sine is arcsine, which is used to find the angle when given the ratio of the opposite and hypotenuse of a right triangle.