What is the Role of Springs in Guitar Vibration?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a practical problem with vibrations in a mechanical setup and modifications that can be made to improve the length of string vibrations on a guitar. One modification involves using heavier/denser metal in the spring claw, but there is a debate on whether or not this actually enhances the vibration. The intuition is that the springs would not carry much vibration, but there are other factors at play, such as the material of the bridge block. Further research and understanding of the phenomenon is needed.
cmmcnamara
Hi all,

I have a bit of a practicality problem here I was hoping I could get community consensus regarding. This question revolves around vibration throughout a mechanical setup and I haven't exactly studied said topic in any sort of depth in my schooling yet (coming up winter quarter).

Essentially my problem revolves around a springs ability to carry a vibration. I am an avid guitar player and I constantly am shopping and browsing different guitar modifications. One of the modifications I have seen advertised seems to violate my intuition regarding the nature of springs. On a guitar the travel of the string vibrations go as follows:

Strings-->Bridge Saddles-->Bridge Block-->Tremolo Springs-->Spring Claw--->Wood Screws

There are many modifications revolving around the bridge block by replacing it with a denser type metal or just a larger massive block both with intention of increasing the length of the vibration throughout the chain once the player has stopped picking a note. This difference is subtle but is an excellent solution. However one other modification revolves around the same idea of heavier/denser metal being used in the spring claw to continue that vibration. My problem with this modification however is that I feel that once the vibration hits the tremolo springs in the chain, that most of the vibration is dissipated or negligible once it exits the springs. Now like I mentioned, intuitively it does not make sense to me that the springs would carry much or any of the vibration energy; in fact many recording studios suspend microphones by springs citing that very reason, so that the amount of room vibrations causes less interference with the microphones. However, intuition as we all know isn't always correct. I feel that this particular upgrade is just playing off the block upgrade's physical principles while really providing no advantage in the area it is intended. Can anyone who has a better understanding of this phenomenon set me straight on this? And as always the mathematics is always appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect you have touched only a very few of the mysteries of such sound production.

Try this article for other subtelies..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strativarius

Be sure to check the references... there is even an article on fungus treating a violin.

Related to What is the Role of Springs in Guitar Vibration?

What is spring vibration?

Spring vibration refers to the ability of a spring to vibrate or oscillate when it is disturbed from its equilibrium position. This vibration is caused by the interplay between the potential energy stored in the spring and the kinetic energy of the mass attached to it.

What factors affect spring vibration abilities?

The factors that affect spring vibration abilities include the stiffness of the spring, the mass attached to the spring, and the amplitude and frequency of the disturbance. The stiffness of the spring determines how much force is required to displace it from its equilibrium position, while the mass attached to the spring affects the inertia of the system. The amplitude and frequency of the disturbance determine the magnitude and speed of the vibration, respectively.

How do spring vibrations differ from other types of vibrations?

Spring vibrations differ from other types of vibrations in that they are caused by the interplay between potential and kinetic energy, whereas other types of vibrations may be caused by other factors such as external forces or electrical signals. Additionally, spring vibrations are typically periodic and can be described by simple harmonic motion, while other types of vibrations may be more complex.

What are some real-world applications of spring vibration abilities?

Spring vibration abilities have numerous real-world applications, including in shock absorbers for vehicles, earthquake-resistant building designs, and musical instruments such as guitar strings. They are also used in various mechanical systems to reduce vibrations and increase stability.

How can spring vibrations be controlled or manipulated?

Spring vibrations can be controlled or manipulated by adjusting the stiffness of the spring, changing the mass attached to the spring, or altering the frequency or amplitude of the disturbance. Damping systems can also be used to dissipate energy and reduce the magnitude of the vibrations. Advanced techniques such as active control systems can also be used to actively manipulate spring vibrations in real-time.