What is the role of these elements in entanglement

In summary, the conversation discusses various elements and their roles in entanglement experiments, specifically dichroic mirrors, polarizers, half-wave plates, quarter-wave plates, microwave control lines, and polarizing beam splitters. The only element that seems to be crucial in creating entanglement is the non-polarizing beam splitter, according to the article referenced by the speaker. The use of nonlinear crystals is not always necessary in creating entanglement, as shown by other proposed or actual setups.
sciencejournalist00
nature12016-f1.2.jpg

Sorry to disturb you again, but I thought of what you said in my previous questions.

Dichroic mirrors, polarizers are used in the above entanglement experiment but according to their encyclopedic definition, they only filter light by color and polarization.

Half-wave plates and quarter-wave plates rotate the polarization of light.

Microwave control lines supply microwaves for rotating the spin of the qubits.

Polarizing beam splitters play role in measurement of the light polarization.

The only element that seems to create entanglement is the non-polarizing beam splitter together with the detectors.

The below article also mentions only beam splitter and detectors in its scheme

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1309.2867v2.pdf
(a) Schematic of the system for entanglement generation: Two distant quantum dots, QD1 and QD2 , are driven by coherent light resulting in fluorescence which interferes at a beam splitter, BS. The outputs of the beam splitter are detected by two photomultiplier photon number detectors, D1 and D2, which provide postselection of the entangled state. The photon paths are labeled a, b, c and d.

Notice how the quantum dots are not sources of entanglement, but rather the objects which are entangled in the experiment.

I notice no use of nonlinear crystals, which could mean they are not always necessary.

I am not saying all these because I want to start an argument with you, but because I cannot see any role that other elements in the above image play in entanglement. According to their definitions I read on Wikipedia, they are only polarizers, detectors, filters, but not entanglers. Only the beam splitter seems to play this role.

Physics news on Phys.org
sciencejournalist00 said:
... I notice no use of nonlinear crystals, which could mean they are not always necessary...

There are many mechanisms for creating entanglement. Nonlinear crystals are not a particular requirement. In each experiment, you look at the entire context to determine what is needed. It is often impossible to separate one element from another as to what is "necessary" to create entanglement of particle pairs.

Here are a couple of references for other proposed or actual entanglement setups that do not used BBo crstals, and there are probably a hundred more out there:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1501.01932

http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1006.4344

Related to What is the role of these elements in entanglement

1. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become linked in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even if they are separated by large distances.

2. What elements are involved in entanglement?

The elements involved in entanglement are typically subatomic particles such as photons, electrons, or atoms. These particles have specific properties, such as spin or polarization, that can become entangled with each other.

3. What role do these elements play in entanglement?

The role of these elements in entanglement is to become connected or entangled with each other, allowing for the transfer of information or energy between them even when separated by large distances.

4. How is entanglement useful?

Entanglement is useful in many quantum technologies, such as quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation. It also allows for the study of fundamental quantum phenomena and can potentially lead to advancements in fields such as communication and medicine.

5. How does entanglement occur?

Entanglement occurs through a process called quantum superposition, where particles exist in multiple states simultaneously. When these entangled particles interact, their states become correlated, resulting in entanglement. The exact mechanism of how this occurs is still not fully understood.