What Is the Scale Length in SPARC Data Analysis?

• A
  • Thread starter mike_brandt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
mike_brandt
im reading through the sparc data and the accompanying scientific paper

SPARC: MASS MODELS FOR 175 DISK GALAXIES WITH
SPITZER PHOTOMETRY AND ACCURATE ROTATION CURVES

right now defining terms is my biggest problem
the reading through i come across the scale length' references are pg page, c colum, l line

pg2 c2 l10
"Column (9) gives the scale length of the stellar disk (Rd)."
what is the scale length

pg2 c2 l13
"Column (11) gives the total H I mass (M H I )."
i take it that the mass in relation to hydrogen . what is the i referencing

pg2 c2 section2.1. line4
1704844625935.png
i take this to be solar luminosity as a unit
L[3.6]

Likes ohwilleke
Space news on Phys.org
Scale length refers to the brightness profile when it is modelled as an exponential function (like the paper does). It is defined as the radius at which the central brightness (or whatever else is under consideration) has fallen off by a factor of e.

H I (H-one, not H-i) is a naming convention in astronomy referring to neutral hydrogen atom. Compare II = singly ionised, and III = doubly ionised (edit: obviously not applicable to hydrogen). The 21 cm hydrogen line is produced by H I atoms, letting you map neutral hydrogen distribution and calculate the mass of the (non-ionised) galactic gas.
Wikipedia has an article on this under 'Hydrogen line'.

##L_\odot## is solar luminosity, yes. Same as ##M_\odot## is solar mass.

Last edited:
Likes ohwilleke and James William Hall

Related to What Is the Scale Length in SPARC Data Analysis?

What is the scale length in SPARC data analysis?

The scale length in SPARC (Spitzer Photometry and Accurate Rotation Curves) data analysis refers to the exponential scale length of a galaxy's stellar disk. It is a measure of how the brightness of a galaxy decreases from its center and is typically denoted by the symbol 'h'. This parameter is crucial for understanding the distribution of stars within the galaxy.

How is the scale length determined in SPARC data?

The scale length is determined by fitting an exponential function to the surface brightness profile of a galaxy. This involves plotting the brightness as a function of radius and then fitting an exponential curve to this plot. The scale length is the radius at which the brightness falls to 1/e (about 37%) of its central value.

Why is the scale length important in galaxy studies?

The scale length is important because it provides insight into the structure and formation history of a galaxy. It helps astronomers understand how stars are distributed within the galaxy and can be used to compare different galaxies. Additionally, the scale length is often used in conjunction with rotation curves to study dark matter distributions.

What role does the scale length play in rotation curve analysis?

In rotation curve analysis, the scale length helps in modeling the distribution of visible matter within the galaxy. By knowing the scale length, scientists can better separate the contributions of visible matter and dark matter to the overall mass distribution, leading to more accurate models of galaxy dynamics.

Can the scale length vary within different regions of the same galaxy?

Yes, the scale length can vary within different regions of the same galaxy, especially in galaxies with complex structures such as bars, spirals, or rings. In such cases, a single exponential scale length may not adequately describe the entire galaxy, and multiple scale lengths or more complex models may be needed to accurately represent the brightness distribution.