What is the smallest vertical force which will move the crate

In summary, the coefficient of static friction is 0.4 and the smallest vertical force which will move the crate is 25 N.
Air

Homework Statement

A crate with a weight of [itex]50N[/itex] rests on a horizontal surface. A person pulls horizontally on it with a force of [itex]10N[/itex] and it does not move. To start it moving a second person pulls vertically upwards on the crate. If the coefficient of static friction is [itex]0.4[/itex], what is the smallest vertical force which will move the crate.

Homework Equations

[itex]f_s=\mu_sn[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

ForceDiagram.jpg

[itex]R(\rightarrow): 10 - f_s = 0 \implies f_s = 10N[/itex]
[itex]f_s=\mu_sn_{tot} = (0.4)(n_{tot}) = 10 \implies n_{tot} = 25[/itex]
[itex]n_{tot} = F_y+n \implies F_y = 25-50 =-25N[/itex]

4. The problem I encounter
Can you check my method please. I got [itex]-25N[/itex] which is negative hence this is giving me a doubt. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Air said:

Homework Statement

A crate with a weight of [itex]50N[/itex] rests on a horizontal surface. A person pulls horizontally on it with a force of [itex]10N[/itex] and it does not move. To start it moving a second person pulls vertically upwards on the crate. If the coefficient of static friction is [itex]0.4[/itex], what is the smallest vertical force which will move the crate.

Homework Equations

[itex]f_s=\mu_sn[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

ForceDiagram.jpg

[itex]n_{tot} = F_y+n \implies F_y = 25-50 =-25N[/itex]

4. The problem I encounter
Can you check my method please. I got [itex]-25N[/itex] which is negative hence this is giving me a doubt. Thanks.

You did everything correctly. The reason for the negative is that your calculations used a downward direction as positive. Thus, your -25 N answer means the 25 N force will be applied upwards.

What is [tex] n_{tot}[/tex]? The normal force is just [tex] n[/tex] . The applied upward force is [tex]F_y[/tex]. The crates weight is 50N down. You've got a couple of 'n's' in your equation that need to be corrected.

Stovebolt said:
You did everything correctly. The reason for the negative is that your calculations used a downward direction as positive. Thus, your -25 N answer means the 25 N force will be applied upwards.
How can you tell that I took downwards as positive? Even if I resolve upwards I would get: [itex]R(\uparrow) : n - 50 = 0 \implies n=50N[/itex]?

PhanthomJay said:
What is [tex] n_{tot}[/tex]? The normal force is just [tex] n[/tex] . The applied upward force is [tex]F_y[/tex]. The crates weight is 50N down. You've got a couple of 'n's' in your equation that need to be corrected.
My [itex]n_{tot}[/itex] is just a notation I gave for the total force in the upper direction which would be the [itex]F_y + n[/itex]. I should have given that another notation but what's wrong other than that, is my calculation correct?

Air said:
The static friction is μn, where n is the normal force (not ntot). So μn = 10, thus n = 25.
[tex]n_{tot} = F_y+n \implies F_y = 25-50 =-25N[/tex]
The vertical forces must add to zero:
Fy + n - 50 = 0 (Where Fy is the applied vertical force.)
Solve for Fy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc Al said:
The static friction is μn, where n is the normal force (not ntot). So μn = 10, thus n = 25.

The vertical forces must add to zero:
Fy + n - 50 = 0 (Where Fy is the applied vertical force.)
Solve for Fy.

Ah yes, that gives a positive answer, ##F_y = 50 - 25 = 25N##.

The problem was that I took the vertical force combined with the normal force to equal the normal force and used that in the equation.

It makes sence. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: What is the smallest vertical force which will move the crate

1. What is the definition of vertical force?

Vertical force is a type of force that acts in an up or down direction, perpendicular to the surface of an object.

2. How is the smallest vertical force determined?

The smallest vertical force is determined by calculating the minimum force required to overcome the static friction between the crate and the surface it is resting on.

3. What factors affect the smallest vertical force needed to move a crate?

The factors that affect the smallest vertical force needed to move a crate include the weight of the crate, the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the surface, and the angle of inclination of the surface.

4. Can the smallest vertical force vary for different surfaces and materials?

Yes, the smallest vertical force can vary depending on the type of surface and material the crate is resting on. Different surfaces and materials have different coefficients of static friction, which can affect the amount of force needed to move the crate.

5. How can the smallest vertical force be calculated?

The smallest vertical force can be calculated by using the formula F = μs * m * g, where F is the force, μs is the coefficient of static friction, m is the mass of the crate, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Back