What is the traditional New Year's Eve meal in Peru?

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Year
In summary, the people are going out to a party, and the person writing the summary is staying home. They will be eating pizza and watching a movie. The person will be going to San Diego tomorrow.
Im going to visit the beautiful women of Virginia tonight! :biggrin: But the cover charge is crazy, at least 100 bucks anywhere in DC or VA. (But its open bar and food/champ.)

Physics news on Phys.org
You all have a Dutch http://typicaldutchstuff.com/oliebol.shtml for "Sylvester".

oliebol.jpg

Better than sheep head. About 90 minutes to go here in European time.

Evo, get well soon.

Last edited:
My wife got a great deal on canned baby oysters a while back, but lately I've developed an intolerance to milk, so our traditional oyster stew is out. This afternoon, she dreamed up a nice recipe for a stew made with potatoes, onions, celery and oysters in a thin, spicy tomato base (made from our frozen garden tomatoes). That's a nice start to New Year's Eve.

Evo said:
Someone's going to have to take my place tonight heading up the Annual PF New Year's Bash. I'm bed ridden due to something happening with my broken arm not knitting, or possibly the injury I thought I originally had to my shoulder. ANYWAY, I'm in excrutiating pain and can only make it to the computer for a few minutes before the pain drives me back to bed. Yes, I'm on painkillers, no they're not working. Yes, I'm on a muscle relaxant, yes it's making me ill.
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you recover quickly. Time for another visit to the doctor, and perhaps an MRI of the tissue? Sounds like you've done some real damage, perhaps to the shoulder bones, tendons or connective tissue. :frown:

Cyrus said:
Im going to visit the beautiful women of Virginia tonight! :biggrin: But the cover charge is crazy, at least 100 bucks anywhere in DC or VA. (But its open bar and food/champ.)

You're welcome to visit the beautiful women of WV tonight. If you leave now, you can be here with plenty of time to party before midnight! :biggrin: I don't charge cover...I'd even keep half a cornish hen warm for you (I have an extra now, just got a cancellation...some bug going around has knocked out one of the dinner guests). It'll just be three of us for dinner now, with several "maybes" to stop by sometime during the evening...so, could just be three of us, or could be a houseful...most of the people I know around here are out of town visiting relatives for the holidays.

Actually, $100 with an open bar and food plus champagne isn't bad for New Year's Eve. If you figure what you'd pay for dinner and drinks separately, especially if you drink a lot of mixed drinks/cocktails, plus the usual cover charge for a place with live music or a good DJ, it's a pretty good deal on a popular night to be out.

Moonbear said:
You're welcome to visit the beautiful women of WV tonight. If you leave now, you can be here with plenty of time to party before midnight! :biggrin: I don't charge cover...I'd even keep half a cornish hen warm for you
Just shove any leftovers into my computer.

Cyrus, I'm expecting crabcakes from you! Do you have a designated driver, taking a cab?

So am I all alone tonight?

I need one of those medical alert necklaces "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!

Poor Evo, it's just you and the crackpots tonight. You could come here, but I don't think you'd make it before midnight (at least not on my time).

Evo said:

I need one of those medical alert necklaces "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!
So far, it's you and me and Moonie. I'd love to have a Cornish game hen, but I'll have to settle for a Molson Golden and a bowl of fresh-popped popcorn cooked in peanut oil. Mmm!

I can barely make it to the bathroom. :frown:

I bought a $4.00 artichoke. One artichoke. I love them, but that's outrageous. It's a freaking thistle.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
So far, it's you and me and Moonie. I'd love to have a Cornish game hen, but I'll have to settle for a Molson Golden and a bowl of fresh-popped popcorn cooked in peanut oil. Mmm!

And I won't be here much longer. My dinner guests are due any minute now (a little unpredictable since my one friend had to work today and wasn't sure exactly when she'd be done, but since we have all night, I told her I'd just wait until she's here to start cooking...all the prep work is done, and there are veggies and dip to hold us over until dinner is ready). She was going to try to get the makings for pomegranate martinis, so might be stopping at a liquor store on the way if she's still in the mood for those, otherwise, I have all the fixin's for regular martinis, melon martinis, a few other cocktails, didn't get the sour apple or peach schnapps I needed for either apple martinis or another cocktail I wanted to make (sex on the brain...I forgot it needed that ingredient and have everything else). With only three of us to drink (unless some of the other maybes pop in throughout the night), I think we're pretty set. I've already told everyone coming that if they're drinking, they're staying the night.

Evo said:

I bought a $4.00 artichoke. One artichoke. I love them, but that's outrageous. It's a freeking thistle.
You paid $4.00 for an artichoke? At that price, you should be able to eat the whole thing. How much do those things cost when you factor in the cost of the edible mass vs the whole enchilada? My wife got a deal on some boneless pork roasts today at $1.48/lb. We're going to try brining/roasting/smoking to see what we can pull out of them. If they are tough, well, we can grind them up for sauces, sausage meat, etc.

Moonbear, what's your menu tonight?

turbo-1 said:
You paid $4.00 for an artichoke? At that price, you should be able to eat the whole thing. How much do those things cost when you factor in the cost of the edible mass vs the whole enchilada? My wife got a deal on some boneless pork roasts today at $1.48/lb. We're going to try brining/roasting/smoking to see what we can pull out of them. If they are tough, well, we can grind them up for sauces, sausage meat, etc.

Wow! That's some deal on pork! Near my sister's house, there's a little farmer's market and deli...I was just drooling over the prices there...I'm stuck with expensive grocery chains here (still cheaper than food is at chains other places, but until summer, no farmer's markets).

I ordered a stovetop smoker that should come in this week. My friend had one when I was visiting in NY, and I was amazed at how tasty the pork roast we cooked in it turned out (though, you can't fit very large things in it...you'd have to halve a chicken to fit it, for example). It's designed to hold in the smoke for the most part (comes with an assortment of wood chips). It sort of roasts and smokes at the same time. When you don't have time to get a regular smoker or grill going or when the weather is too cold, it's just the thing. If you have tough meat, you can just let it cook slower and longer until it softens (or make something like a ghoulash).

I have one cornish hen left (I bought an extra just in case I got any last minute invitation acceptances), and I think when the smoker arrives, I'm going to give that a try in it. That might be my next dinner party idea.

Well, you guys have me for about another hour (minus time to start cooking). My friend called and is home from work and getting ready and will be here about 7 with her boyfriend. Since she gave me an ETA, I can start cooking before they arrive now.

Evo said:
Moonbear, what's your menu tonight?

Roasted cornish hens with an apple and mandarin orange stuffing (prepared on the side, but will be served tucked under the hens), rosemary and garlic roasted baby potatoes (fresh ones, not Woollie's exploding ones from a can :smile:), and snow peas sauteed with garlic and butter. Dessert will be a flourless chocolate cake with molten center (if I get the temperature and cooking time right...otherwise it's just flourless chocolate cake if I overcook it...the copy of the recipe I found is incomplete). It's all VERY simple to cook (the majority of the prepping was just cutting up the vegetables for the stuffing and getting that started). At this point, I just need to stick things in the oven. The cakes get made when dinner is done (quick to mix together the ingredients and served warm).

Had I known the person who doesn't like seafood was going to be sick tonight, I would have had crabcakes as an appetizer (I have the crabmeat and was going to slightly modify the version my brother-in-law made for Christmas...I never quite like his cooking, but often can tweak the recipes to make them into things I do like), but decided against it when my one friend who I know really dislikes seafood accepted the invitation...figures he's the one who canceled last minute too. Too late to make them now, because they need to be chilled a while to really cook properly and not turn to mush.

Evo said:

Maybe the bone is pinching/rubbing a nerve. If it isn't healing right, that's a good possibility and would explain the amount of pain. You'll want that checked out soon if that's what's going on, so you don't end up with permanent nerve damage.

Just finished the pizza. My daughter was ecstatic when she saw the pizza boxes come through the door.

Evo said:

I'll be working but online. Later, we can get drunk and fight about Ron Paul. :biggrin:

[After his interview on MTP, I see him much like Perot now: some good ideas - sometimes refreshingly radical ideas - but not Presidential material]

Sorry to hear that your arm is giving you so much trouble. You should definitely get into see a doctor soon - like right now.

Moonbear said:
Maybe the bone is pinching/rubbing a nerve. If it isn't healing right, that's a good possibility and would explain the amount of pain. You'll want that checked out soon if that's what's going on, so you don't end up with permanent nerve damage.
I think so, I have tingling and numbness in my fingers.

Sorry guys, I need to whine.

Evo said:
I think so, I have tingling and numbness in my fingers.
Yep, sounds like it's pressing on a nerve. Don't wait on that. May be a nightmare to see a doctor tomorrow (you might want to wait until they're not hungover), but schedule an appointment for Wed if you can't get in tomorrow. You don't want to mess around with that...and keep your arm immobilized until you can get in...do you have something you can fashion into a makeshift sling (or even an actual sling kicking around from the original injury)? I hear Tsu is available to scan your arm tonight...bring her an appletini and maybe she'll introduce you to a nice doctor while you're at it. :biggrin: :wink:

Sorry guys, I need to whine.

Red or white? :biggrin:

Im ready for some new years kisses from beautiful women. I have on my black dress pants, white collar shirt, black silk tie, black v-neck sweater on top, black glasses, black leather watch, black belt with silver buckle, black dress shoes, grey socks, jet black hair combed back and trimmed beard, and a houndstooth fedora. Who do I get to kiss first?

PS I smell good too.

Moonbear said:
Roasted cornish hens with an apple and mandarin orange stuffing (prepared on the side, but will be served tucked under the hens), rosemary and garlic roasted baby potatoes (fresh ones, not Woollie's exploding ones from a can :smile:), and snow peas sauteed with garlic and butter. Dessert will be a flourless chocolate cake with molten center.
Yum yum! If I didn't have many more hours of work in the lab, I'd drive the 3 hours to M'town, uninvited!

Cyrus said:
I have on my black dress pants, white collar shirt, black silk tie, black v-neck sweater on top, black glasses, black leather watch, black belt with silver buckle, black dress shoes, grey socks, jet black hair combed back and trimmed beard, and a houndstooth fedora.
Someone forgot to paint on their camo!

Cyrus said:
Im ready for some new years kisses from beautiful women. I have on my black dress pants, white collar shirt, black silk tie, black v-neck sweater on top, black glasses, black leather watch, black belt with silver buckle, black dress shoes, grey socks, jet black hair combed back and trimmed beard, and a houndstooth fedora. Who do I get to kiss first?

PS I smell good too.
Got crabcakes?

Moonbear's dinner sounds like a winner!

Ivan, if you're around, I've got Nyquil and Near Beer.

Moonbear said:
Yep, sounds like it's pressing on a nerve. Don't wait on that. May be a nightmare to see a doctor tomorrow

Getting into an urgent care facility shouldn't be too bad tonight before the late part of the evening...that is if they have urgent care around. I think most places have them associated with the ER now. They can probably check to see if there is anything time-critical to worry about. They can also prescribe some stronger drugs.

...of course, Evo already knows the emergency medical care system intimately!

Last edited:
The only thing stronger than I am on is a morphine drip.

Evo said:
The only thing stronger than I am on is a morphine drip.

Hell, it's New Years' Eve, go for it!

Happy New Year Everybody!

Bonfire is high and hot, just dashed into wish all a happy new years!

Well new year broke here a while ago hope everyone has a prosperous new year. I'm still going .

Happy New Year from Atlantic Canada!

Ivan Seeking said:
Hell, it's New Years' Eve, go for it!

:smile:

Happy New Year! It's after 1 AM here. My guests are already in bed (not sure if they're sleeping :wink: :wink:), the cat hasn't decided if she's ready to come out of hiding (she got brave for a bit and joined us at midnight, until they invaded the second floor too), and I'm not drunk...the drinks we ended up making were all so sweet that I'm on more of a sugar rush than anything, so will either be awake a while longer, or will soon crash from the sugar rush.

Gokul43201 said:
Yum yum! If I didn't have many more hours of work in the lab, I'd drive the 3 hours to M'town, uninvited!

They made you work in the lab tonight? That's not right! There's still leftovers. Too bad, you could've come over...none of the maybe's showed up (I wasn't counting on it...for some reason, people around here can't just say "no" so say "maybe" instead, as far as I can tell).

Happy new year!

Mmm.. Mashed potatoes.