Der Feldhase, Dürer
Studie zu den Händen eines Apostels, Dürer

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and pinball1970
Picasso's Don Quixote.

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
phinds said:
Huh ???
I'm not familiar with that drawing. Could you upload a copy (use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window) and be sure to include a link to the source so we obey copyright laws. :wink:

• Haha
Likes phinds
Assassination of Marat. Jacques David. 1793
The Arnolfini portrait. Jan Van Eyck. 1434

There is another from Gombrich, 18th or 19th century that made my jaw drop when I saw it. Cannot remember the artist or the subject matter! I just remember the wow. I will see if I can grab a copy.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and fresh_42
pinball1970 said:
So drawing or painting? That is a bit like picking your favourite album or piece of classical music, quite tough.
Oops...! Painting, I meant painting.
Best wishes!

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
So drawing or painting? That is a bit like picking your favourite album or piece of classical music, quite tough.
Yet, Beethoven, Bach, and Berry made it all onto the Golden Record.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356, Klystron, phinds and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
Drawings:
Studie zu den Händen eines Apostels, Dürer
Justin Bieber has a reproduction of the image tattooed on his left leg.

Drawings : I'd go with George Grosz.

Hornbein said:
Justin Bieber has a reproduction of the image tattooed on his left leg.
If you only knew, it is far worse than that.

While difficult to reconcile the enigmatic beauty of Mona Lisa with the anatomical detail of Leonardo Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man in post #4, plebe that I am, I suggest Mona Lisa as Monna Vanna as a favorite drawing and painting.

The painting in photographic reproduction:

1717864687651.png

Excerpted Monna Vanna:
https://media.cnn.com/api/v1/images...na-lisa-restricted.jpg?q=w_1160,c_fill/f_webp

From the article:
...Deldicque said. “It (the charcoal drawing) is a work of very great quality done by a great artist.”

“It is almost certainly a preparatory work for an oil painting,” he added.

Note: I insert a picture of Mona Lisa as so popular and recognizable to avoid copywright confusion. La Monna Vanna article belongs to CNN. The drawings?

pinball1970 said:
Assassination of Marat. Jacques David. 1793
1717866116740.png

This painting led me to study Existentialism and eventually see Peter Weiss's brilliant satire Marat/Sade on film. IMS German language with English subtitles except when the Marquis quotes his own writing.
1717866507986.png

Education provides a slippery slope, see a painting, read some authors, enjoy a play. Next thing you will be discussing Art at the forums.

Likes pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
Yet, Beethoven, Bach, and Berry made it all onto the Golden Record.
Glad Bach got three in. The missing B is obviously the Beatles.
I checked NASA site. https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/golden-record/whats-on-the-record/music/
That's not a comprehensive list though is it?
For the sake of the thread I suppose we should check images on Voyager and see if they include art?
I will look tomorrow, difficult to crop properly on this device.

Likes fresh_42
Klystron said:
View attachment 346635

This painting led me to study Existentialism and eventually see Peter Weiss's brilliant satire Marat/Sade on film. IMS German language with English subtitles except when the Marquis quotes his own writing.
View attachment 346636

Education provides a slippery slope, see a painting, read some authors, enjoy a play. Next thing you will be discussing Art at the forums.
Agree absolutely. Once I discovered art history I was absolutely hooked. I only did this in earnest for 12 months age 15-16 but I still remember the landmarks and the Marat painting was one of them.

Likes Klystron
Klystron said:
Get back to work.

• Haha
Likes Klystron
fresh_42 said:
Paintings:
Skrik, Munch
Nuit étoilée sur le Rhône, van Gogh
I was never a fan of Van Gough until I saw this, The Potato eaters 1885.

It is not one of my favourite paintings but is one of the biggest surprises and I do like the painting very much.

I cannot really tell that it is him, unlike his style if you think of the more famous ones.

1718291438643.png

Likes mcastillo356
pinball1970 said:
I was never a fan of Van Gough until I saw this, The Potato eaters 1885.

I generally agree. It is more the coloring with a deep blue, which is why I like La Nuit étoilée sur le Rhône. I'm a fan of so-called winter colors.

1718295029673.png

Munch's Skrik doesn't have these colors but I like it for its common interpretation. As I searched for its true title, I found out that this interpretation (despair, depression) was questionable.
German Wikipedia said:
(Norwegian Skrik, German originally also Geschrei [Shouting])
On the other hand, the Norwegian page cites Munch's diary ...
Norwegian Wikipedia said:
I cross the road with friends – only I don’t – I felt as if I were afraid – The skies are turning bloody red – I stand, laid low, and ready to die – see out the flaming skies as blood and black over the blue fjord and by – My friends will go away – I am overcome by fear – and feel a very strange and terrible feeling towards nature.
... so Angst might have been the better title.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, pinball1970 and mcastillo356
Max Ernst is probably my favorite painter, fortunate to live near one of the best collections of his work (the Menil)

1718295970743.png

• Wow
Likes Klystron, fresh_42 and pinball1970
BWV said:
Max Ernst is probably my favorite painter, fortunate to live near one of the best collections of his work (the Menil)
Yes, fortunate indeed. I`ve been googling, because it's the first time I see a work of him. Still impressed by the painting.

Likes BWV
BWV said:

View attachment 346868

I had forgotten that I love Dadaism. All our lists were probably longer the longer we think about it.

Here is a poem by Ernst Jandl that I count as Dadaism although it has been later (1963).

ottos mops​

ottos mops trotzt
otto: fort mops fort
ottos mops hopst fort
otto: soso

otto holt koks
otto holt obst
otto horcht
otto: mops mops
otto hofft

ottos mops klopft
otto: komm mops komm
ottos mops kommt
ottos mops kotzt
otto: ogottogott

Likes BWV and Klystron
Also my avatar

Max Ernst. Surrealism and the Omnipotence of dreams​

1718323910760.jpeg

Likes pinball1970, BillTre and fresh_42
Not honestly any of my favorites but just I say, somebody should at least be able to mention M. C. Escher.

Other than that, favorite drawing I recognize is the rectangular graphical or pictorial which goes with the showing of Completing The Square for quadratic equations.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
symbolipoint said:
Not honestly any of my favorites but just I say, somebody should at least be able to mention M. C. Escher.
Despite wide popular interest, for most of his life Escher was neglected in the art world (Source: Wikipedia)
:cry:
symbolipoint said:
Other than that, favorite drawing I recognize is the rectangular graphical or pictorial which goes with the showing of Completing The Square for quadratic equations.
:smile:

Likes pinball1970 and fresh_42
symbolipoint said:

Penrose was a big fan.

Likes Klystron
pinball1970 said:
Penrose was a big fan.
Penrose, a great

We live in a modern world, and there have been electronic pictures long before AI generated politeness to the real outlook of celebrities. One of my favorites is a screenshot I generated in the 90s from a log file to check results. It was a linear text file in XML format. And it has been still the world of mainframes, so I have chosen a green-on-black coloring. I still like it, probably for the nostalgia it represents. On the other hand, we still use XML, don't we? (Sorry for this off-topic excourse.)

snap_3.png

mcastillo356 said:
Penrose, a great
Did you know him that you can say he wasn't big?

fresh_42 said:
Did you know him that you can say he wasn't big?
I meant he is, alive and kicking.
Love

Likes fresh_42
mcastillo356 said:
I meant he is, alive and kicking.
Love
I was wondering whether his passion for Escher can be related to his passion for a very particular view on the beginning of our universe?!

fresh_42 said:
I was wondering whether his passion for Escher can be related to his passion for a very particular view on the beginning of our universe?!
https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/node/875
I think this link doesn't bring a clue. Moreover, my PC tells is not safe. I've seen University of Oxford logo, so there it goes. I knock on wood.

Likes fresh_42
John William Waterhouse's "Cleopatra" is my favorite.

I'm sure the person who's receiving that look is about to loose his/her head... :)

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, mcastillo356 and Klystron