What Lagrangian mechanics textbook should I use?

jqmhelios
I am currently taking a course on introductory Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics in year 2 in the UK.
I find the material easy but do not have access to a resource with a satisfying amount of problems.
Despite being (in)directly told this resource is not useful at my level, I have Landau and Lifshitz volume 1 and love it as the explanations are brilliantly clear and understandable to me. However, it contains a disappointingly small amount of problems!

Does anyone know a suitable textbook? For a year 2 physics student with lots of problems and worked examples?

I also should add that I do not like Goldstein's approach to the topic as I find his explanations too difficult for me at this stage. His derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equations was shockingly difficult to follow (unlike Landau's intuitive and easy approach)

Likes DeBangis21, dextercioby and PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
In my day, there was Marion or Symon.

Likes PhDeezNutz
My introduction to the topic was also Marion & Thornton

Schaum’s Outline Series offers down-to-the-point fully answered problems; beware, though, it’s supplemental text only.

Likes George Jones and PhDeezNutz
As @apostolosdt has said, Schaum's Outline are valuable supplements of problems for standard text.

A text that provides detailed pedagogical explanations of concepts is Classical Mechanics by John Taylor. Some folks liked the detailed explanations; some folks find this text a little too wordy.

Likes weirdoguy and dextercioby
If he likes Landau, Taylor is definitely way too wordy.

Landau's One can show" is missing some words. Like "with half a ream of paper and a free afternoon".

Likes PhDeezNutz
Landau & Lifshitz vol. 1!

Likes apostolosdt
You can take a look at the first 3 chapters of Classical Dymamics by Donald. T. Greenwoord

I liked a combination of Taylor and Simon.

Related to What Lagrangian mechanics textbook should I use?

What is the best introductory textbook for Lagrangian mechanics?

For beginners, "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein is highly recommended. It provides a thorough introduction to Lagrangian mechanics along with other fundamental topics in classical mechanics.

Is there a textbook that balances theory and practical problems in Lagrangian mechanics?

"Classical Mechanics: A Modern Perspective" by Barger and Olsson is a good choice. It offers a balanced approach with clear theoretical explanations and a variety of practical problems to solve.

What textbook should I use if I want a modern approach to Lagrangian mechanics?

"Mechanics: From Newton's Laws to Deterministic Chaos" by Florian Scheck provides a modern perspective on Lagrangian mechanics, incorporating contemporary examples and applications.

Are there any textbooks that focus on advanced topics in Lagrangian mechanics?

"Analytical Mechanics" by Louis N. Hand and Janet D. Finch is suitable for those looking to delve into more advanced topics after grasping the basics. It covers a wide range of complex subjects in Lagrangian mechanics.

Which textbook is best for self-study in Lagrangian mechanics?

"Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems" by Thornton and Marion is excellent for self-study. It is well-structured, with clear explanations and numerous examples and exercises to practice.