What prgram you could use to draw a ponchon and mccabe diagrams?

• Thread starter scott_for_the_game
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagrams
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a program for drawing a Ponchon and McCabe diagram for mass transfer, with one person suggesting to use thermodynamic data and another mentioning the possibility of using a downloadable program. The conversation also mentioned the potential difficulty of incorporating counter-current aspects and the use of software found on a website. However, the speaker emphasized the accuracy of solving the diagram by hand.
scott_for_the_game
Hey does anyone know what prgram you could use to draw a ponchon and mccabe diagram for mass transfer.

Particularly one that's downloadable :P.

Cheers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rather easy to do yourself.
You just need the thermodynamic data.
Start then by modelling one equilibrium stage with a short program, then re-use it for a multiple stage.
The counter-current aspect may introduce some additional difficulty, but it should be easy to overcome with a bit of time and strategy.
Without garantee, I could think a bit further if you gave me more detail about the system you are stuying.

Last edited:
The major problem for me was plotting the equilibrium data on the graph. (ie, y vs x, H -x -y and N - x -y plots). Once you fit a curve through the data points and print it, the rest of the construction can easily be done with a pencil

Cheers. Ah yeh I know its easy enough to do by hand.. but yeh I'm looking for very accurate results. Thats the only reason I wanted to know if it could be done via a program.

If you're interested, I found this site with some free software on the mccabe thiele method.
http://www.familiataboada.com/IQ/page4.html
I've not used it, so I don't know how reliable or safe the software is.

Anyway, in my experience, solving by hand usually gives pretty accurate answers.

Last edited:

Related to What prgram you could use to draw a ponchon and mccabe diagrams?

1. What is a Ponchon and McCabe diagram?

A Ponchon and McCabe diagram is a graphical representation of a distillation process, which shows the composition of the liquid and vapor phases at different stages of the process. It is commonly used in chemical engineering to determine the number of equilibrium stages required for separation of a mixture.

2. Why are Ponchon and McCabe diagrams important?

Ponchon and McCabe diagrams are important because they provide a visual representation of the distillation process, making it easier to understand and analyze. They also help in optimizing the process by determining the number of stages required for separation and identifying potential issues that may arise during the process.

3. What software can be used to draw Ponchon and McCabe diagrams?

There are several software programs that can be used to draw Ponchon and McCabe diagrams, such as Microsoft Excel, ChemDraw, and Aspen Plus. These programs have built-in tools and templates specifically designed for drawing chemical engineering diagrams.

4. Can I draw Ponchon and McCabe diagrams by hand?

Yes, it is possible to draw Ponchon and McCabe diagrams by hand, but it may be more time-consuming and prone to errors compared to using software. The diagrams require precise calculations and accurate plotting, so using a software program would be more efficient and reliable.

5. Are there any tips for drawing Ponchon and McCabe diagrams?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help in drawing accurate and clear Ponchon and McCabe diagrams. These include using consistent scales for both the x and y-axis, labeling all the components and stages, and double-checking all the calculations and data used in the diagram. It is also helpful to refer to a sample diagram or tutorial to understand the layout and conventions commonly used in these diagrams.