What should I do about this class?

• Thread starter sydneyfranke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary: Maybe consider talking to your professor to see if he would be willing to change the grade to reflect your understanding.
sydneyfranke
So here's the slight problem I'm running into. I have this Physics class that's not really going as planned. I understand the information, I'm just (slightly) bombing the tests. I get all of the questions involving numbers, but the "supposed something visually and tell me what the ball does" questions get me every time. Basically, the average of my tests so far is 4 points from a B and my homework grade is around a low A so my mid-term grade for the class is a C.

I'm not really excited about seeing a C on my transcript. I know that I'm pretty close to a B, but the past two tests I have understood the information forwards and backwards and still manage to not get the grades that reflects my understanding. I realize that one could say "well obviously you didn't know the information if you have a C." But, the point is that I'm not just screwing around and have found myself looking at this grade, I'm busting my butt.

So, we don't have another test before the drop date, so I'm considering dropping the course. I really don't want to do this because it's just going to push me back (just because of the way the classes line up) so its either that or take some summer classes to play catch-up. This isn't ideal either as I was hoping to get into an internship or reu this summer. Another problem I have with dropping this class is that my engineering school only allows students to drop 1 course during the first 60 hours of coursework. So this would be my one drop. I feel that would put a lot of pressure on me for my remaining courses.

Basically, I feel like I could pull a B for the course but if I don't do well on my next test I will be stuck with whatever grade I get because it will be past the drop date. Should I risk this for the chance to come out with a B and not have to burn my only drop for a while? Or is eating a C not as bad as I'm thinking it is? I have a 3.75 now and still have a ways to go, but it would be nice to set myself up okay for internships and stuff like that.

Oh, and the professor doesn't drop or curve anything, though there are rumors that he will replace the lowest test grade with the final grade, but those are rumors that I'm not trusting.

Sorry for the essay.

Physics news on Phys.org
What course is it? There's a big difference between getting a C in Physics 101 as a first-year and getting a C in classical mechanics as a first year. Just want to make sure we have the relevant information, although it sounds like it's an introductory class...

Just to add on: would there be a severe penalty in the future career of a physics student if they didn't master calculus-based physics the first time around? I'm talking about the sophomore level class (usually) that comes before the 'classical mechanics' and 'classical e&m theory' classes.

fss - Intro Physics. Sorry. Taking it with Calculus I and doing pretty good in there.

hadsed - Good add on.

hadsed said:
Just to add on: would there be a severe penalty in the future career of a physics student if they didn't master calculus-based physics the first time around? I'm talking about the sophomore level class (usually) that comes before the 'classical mechanics' and 'classical e&m theory' classes.

I suppose that depends what you mean by 'master'. After you've been through an intro class, you should be able to do the homework problems without much struggle.

The problems are manageable and I hate the approach taken in these classes to mechanically learn all the ways to solve these problems. To me, that doesn't teach you anything except how to do textbook problems (obviously). I can definitely figure out all the problems, but I'm not lightning quick at them though I do understand the concepts fully. I'd rather use my time mastering more useful things (not trying to be snotty, but if classical mech/e&m will teach it to me in a better way, why not just 'master' it then?).

Because one builds upon the other. As with anything, you need a good solid foundation of the basics before you plan to move on to more complicated endeavors.

You need to learn how to walk first before dreaming of running.

To the OP: You can't really say you understand the material if you're "bombing" the tests.

Can you explain how averaging a low A and 4 points from a B works out to a C? I don't think you are in as much trouble as you think you are.

sydneyfranke said:
So here's the slight problem I'm running into. I have this Physics class that's not really going as planned. I understand the information, I'm just (slightly) bombing the tests. I get all of the questions involving numbers, but the "supposed something visually and tell me what the ball does" questions get me every time. Basically, the average of my tests so far is 4 points from a B and my homework grade is around a low A so my mid-term grade for the class is a C.

I'm not really excited about seeing a C on my transcript. I know that I'm pretty close to a B, but the past two tests I have understood the information forwards and backwards and still manage to not get the grades that reflects my understanding. I realize that one could say "well obviously you didn't know the information if you have a C." But, the point is that I'm not just screwing around and have found myself looking at this grade, I'm busting my butt.

So, we don't have another test before the drop date, so I'm considering dropping the course. I really don't want to do this because it's just going to push me back (just because of the way the classes line up) so its either that or take some summer classes to play catch-up. This isn't ideal either as I was hoping to get into an internship or reu this summer. Another problem I have with dropping this class is that my engineering school only allows students to drop 1 course during the first 60 hours of coursework. So this would be my one drop. I feel that would put a lot of pressure on me for my remaining courses.

Basically, I feel like I could pull a B for the course but if I don't do well on my next test I will be stuck with whatever grade I get because it will be past the drop date. Should I risk this for the chance to come out with a B and not have to burn my only drop for a while? Or is eating a C not as bad as I'm thinking it is? I have a 3.75 now and still have a ways to go, but it would be nice to set myself up okay for internships and stuff like that.

Oh, and the professor doesn't drop or curve anything, though there are rumors that he will replace the lowest test grade with the final grade, but those are rumors that I'm not trusting.

Sorry for the essay.

Hey there, I'm not a physics but a double math major. One thing I tend to see in this forums is people freaking out about not getting A's or even high B's.

I don't know if people will agree with this but I think getting C's are good for personal development. When we get the C's it can help us become mentally mature in that we aren't afraid of failure and that we get a taste of what failure feels like.

Let us say you want to do research, whether its in industry or academia. Now let's say you have to get to an interview for some role whether its for a PhD spot or for postdoc in uni or industry.

For the PhD scenario, I guarantee that the school will want to assess as accurately as possible how you respond to failure. All decent employers do it with their staff. Doesn't matter if you're writing computer games under deadlines (I used to do this) or whether you're a trainee trader in financial services. The fact is for anything that is worthwhile, we make mistakes, make bad assumptions, and generally **** up.

If you got decent grades but not perfect and you demonstrated to a board of people that you have done hard classes and not aced them, but never the less pushed ahead challenged yourself and reflected on your ability to persevere under pressure, then imo you will be looked on favorably a lot more than the person who has never failed majorly in their life who might be so fragile that they buckle considerably when they find out that they aren't as perfect as their grades tell them to be.

Just to note that I'm not knocking people with perfect 4.0's (I rather congratulate them) and I'm sure that people who get these marks deserve them (I'm not a 4.0 person myself). I have however seen the effects personally on people where they mentally are afraid of some degree of failure and how that can have a stranglehold on their life.

If physics is a means to an end like it is for the many people that study it, then I'm sure you'll have your share of success inevitably at some point in the future.

Good luck and keep your chin up, because most things worth pursuing don't come to us without a fight.

Related to What should I do about this class?

What should I do about this class?

1. Should I drop this class?

It depends on your individual situation and reasons for considering dropping the class. If you are struggling with the material and do not think you can improve, dropping the class may be a good option. However, if you are close to passing or have already invested a significant amount of time and effort into the class, it may be worth trying to continue and improve your grade.

2. How can I improve my grade in this class?

First, identify why you are struggling in the class. Is it because of the difficulty of the material, your study habits, or other factors? Then, try to address those issues by seeking help from the professor or teaching assistant, studying with a group, or adjusting your study habits. It may also be helpful to communicate with your professor and discuss your concerns.

3. Can I switch to a different section or instructor for this class?

It depends on the policies of your university and the availability of other sections or instructors. You can check with your academic advisor or the department offering the class to see if switching is possible. Keep in mind that different sections or instructors may have different teaching styles and expectations, so it may not necessarily improve your performance in the class.

4. Is it too late to drop or add this class?

It depends on the specific deadlines set by your university. Most universities have a designated add/drop period at the beginning of the semester, but some may have a later deadline or allow for late adds or drops with special permission. Check with your academic advisor or the registrar's office to see if you can still make changes to your class schedule.

5. Should I take this class Pass/Fail instead of for a letter grade?

It depends on your goals and the policies of your university. Taking a class Pass/Fail means that your grade will not affect your GPA, but you also won't receive credit if you fail the class. If you are struggling in the class and are not concerned about your GPA, it may be a good option. However, if you need the class for a prerequisite or want to demonstrate your academic abilities, it may be better to take it for a letter grade.